Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRX4
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed out 6 of my 8 Bose speaker, the two front tweeters and front and back door speakers. My replacement speakers are Boston Acoustics.
One of the problems I've run into is the front dash tweeters and front door speakers have the same wire color code( left--tan +, gray-) right-- light green+, dark green -) Are they in parallel, joined somewhere in the wiring bundle?
I need to install a crossover between them.
I have done a low volume test the way I have it wired now ( no crossover) and the tweeters totally dominate the output. I can tell that the Bose amp is going to have a hard time driving the new speakers due to the higher impedance of the BA's
My Sub changeout will have it's own Mono power amp ( 300 watts) and 10" BA duel coil Sub in the old sub's location ( only firing into the cab) Would it be better to change out the stock Bose power amp with a more powerful one? Will there be problems with wiring the head unit into the new Amp?
Last question-- what is the center dash speaker for, does this go to the power amp too?
Thanks, Patrick

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS4, Performance Collection, NAV, AWD
875 Posts
you can try sending nick a private message, he will probably get an email saying he has a message and he'd respond. he doesn't check the site too much anymore so he probably doesn't even see this post.

·
Registered
Cadillac
207 Posts
I think I remember a post by Nick a couple of months ago saying he had to get rid of his beloved CTS and was leaving the Forum. I could be wrong, however.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Nope. Nothing wrong with your rememberer. Nick was apparently a victim of the recession. Good Guy.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS4, Performance Collection, NAV, AWD
875 Posts
yeah he said he had to sell his car but i'm pretty sure he still lurks around the forums every once ina while, that's why sending a private message would probably work

·
Registered
2015 SRX4
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah he said he had to sell his car but i'm pretty sure he still lurks around the forums every once ina while, that's why sending a private message would probably work
I sent a PM to him through his ad for his car on this forum. Hope he was not the only one who could help me if he's gone. Has anyone replaced the factory Amp? I felt the center speaker today and it was working when the radio was on. this makes no sense to my understanding of stereo, unless this is a very small sub-woofer.

·
Registered
CTS DI Fully Loaded, Magnaflow, CAI, F1 Tint, Rosen TVs
1,013 Posts
I have changed out 6 of my 8 Bose speaker, the two front tweeters and front and back door speakers. My replacement speakers are Boston Acoustics.
One of the problems I've run into is the front dash tweeters and front door speakers have the same wire color code( left--tan +, gray-) right-- light green+, dark green -) Are they in parallel, joined somewhere in the wiring bundle?
I need to install a crossover between them.
I have done a low volume test the way I have it wired now ( no crossover) and the tweeters totally dominate the output. I can tell that the Bose amp is going to have a hard time driving the new speakers due to the higher impedance of the BA's
My Sub changeout will have it's own Mono power amp ( 300 watts) and 10" BA duel coil Sub in the old sub's location ( only firing into the cab) Would it be better to change out the stock Bose power amp with a more powerful one? Will there be problems with wiring the head unit into the new Amp?
Last question-- what is the center dash speaker for, does this go to the power amp too?
Thanks, Patrick
Sorry for the delay, PM is definitely the best way to get me. Purchase a MTX ReQ 5 or a JL cleansweep. If you go with the JL, you need to get the summing adapter also.

You are correct about the impedance of the BA speakers. You will need a four channel amp to power the two sets of BA components. I would recommend an Alpine PDX400.4.

The ReQ5 has to be spliced in to the factory amp wiring harness, I have posted a pinout schematic. Search for my posts to find it. You can then tap into the speaker wires after the amp, as every speaker runs directly from the amp, no splices in the car anywhere. You need to also double-check the polarity of your speaker wires going in to your BA's. When looking at the back of the stock speaker, the + wire is ALWAYS the right one, regardless of wire color. The dominating tweeter issue sounds like your passengers side is out of phase.

You will also have a clean output off of the ReQ5 for your sub amp. I would not recommend mounting in the rear deck, as it is a bitch to take apart, and doesn't have a box behind it. It is also a 10" speaker. I'm not sure if the BA sub is intended for open baffle installation. 300 watts may be a little anemic for a 12" sub.

Lastly, the center speaker on the dash is the center channel for 5.1 listening on DVD-V and DVD-A discs. It also works when you set the DSP to "Centerpoint". I have mine on centerpoint at all times.

In unrelated news, I'M NOT SELLING MY CAR! WHOO-HOO!

Any other questions, PM me.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,911 Posts
In unrelated news, I'M NOT SELLING MY CAR! WHOO-HOO!
Nick,

This is GREAT news! I hope this means your "personal economy" has started a robust recovery. You add a lot to the forum.

On a more general note, all one has to do is look at some of the other car forums to appreciate the quality of material in this one. I have been lurking around a couple of Corvette forums since I am planning to pick up a convertible in the next year or so (not to replace the CTS) and you really have to cut through the politics and other BS to get to the useful information in those forums. Nick has certainly provided a lot of useful info in this forum and I am glad he is keeping his CTS.

Rodger

·
Registered
2015 SRX4
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick
You saved the day, don't EVER go away. Many thanks. I'm still confused about the center speaker. I understand about the 5.1 but on my home system, the center channel is a discreet channel for voice ( or the voice range) In a stereo signal I would think this blending would not be desirable, why do you leave it on? Also, I have a base CTS, no Nav or DVD., why would I even have a 5.1 capability, my axillary jack is stereo only.
Again, many thanks, Patrick

·
Registered
CTS DI Fully Loaded, Magnaflow, CAI, F1 Tint, Rosen TVs
1,013 Posts
Nick
You saved the day, don't EVER go away. Many thanks. I'm still confused about the center speaker. I understand about the 5.1 but on my home system, the center channel is a discreet channel for voice ( or the voice range) In a stereo signal I would think this blending would not be desirable, why do you leave it on? Also, I have a base CTS, no Nav or DVD., why would I even have a 5.1 capability, my axillary jack is stereo only.
Again, many thanks, Patrick
The bose system without nav is still 5.1. The center channel would be a matrixed channel on stereo source material. The bose Centerpoint technology incorporated into the head unit acts similar to a Dolby ProLogic system. I think it images the sound better, adds some depth.

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts
The bose system without nav is still 5.1. The center channel would be a matrixed channel on stereo source material. The bose Centerpoint technology incorporated into the head unit acts similar to a Dolby ProLogic system. I think it images the sound better, adds some depth.
Nick,

I've never really talked to you but I've seen your posts. I just want to thank you for the centerpoint info. I have the no-nav Bose system and have had it almost a year and I just switched mine to centerpoint and it sounds awesome.

:highfive:
Thanks man,
Mark

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony
1,008 Posts
Nope. Nothing wrong with your rememberer. Nick was apparently a victim of the recession. Good Guy.
that sucks.. i have to pay close to 1k per month .. on a 3 year term
w/ this price and economy.. i deserve something better... may be the new V 2009 or something better ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts