Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville; 1997 Deville D'Elegance; 2010 DTS
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the occasional flicker of the warning light at low rpms when the engine is very warm, I decided to try a replacement oil pressure sender switch for my 1997 Deville before chalking it up to high dollar problems. I bought a sender from RockAuto (someone in this forum turned me on to RockAuto and I am eternally grateful!) for about $11 so it was no big deal.

But I am at a total loss how anyone would be able to R&R this sucker. It sits right on side of the oil filter adapter and I can see it just fine. The problem is that the size of the "nut" around the circumference of the sender requires a decent sized crescent wrench, but the tight space it sits in prevents me from getting a good grip. I might be able to screw it out a touch but I'd never be able to reorient the crescent wrench to move it further.

So what is the secret here? A giant deep socket? Going at this from the top of the engine compartment? Removing the engine bracing that is blocking clear access? Stealing GM special tool D7395-425s from a local dealership? The official shop manual only says to remove some sort of splash guard on the right side before screwing out the switch, but I don't even have a splash guard. The Chilton's idiot guide suggests that this is really no big deal, since it says no more than "remove oil sender". But I'm at a loss. Am I overthinking this?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Nick

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,694 Posts
Slightly different animal but, I replaced the same LOP switch on my 02 with a regular open end wrench... lots of small turns repositioning the wrench and a lot of patience. If you think you can get a large deep-well socket on it... take the new LOP switch up to your favorite parts store and see if they will loan you the correct size deep-wheel socket. Autozone for one has a loan-a-tool program, you basically pay for the socket and they refund your money when you return it. Be careful when you put the new one in and don't overtorque it looked like you could easily strip the threads.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,648 Posts
With the car up on jackstands, remove the lower air deflector panel - the one that (should) run all the way across under the radiator. Pull out the center pin of each plastic rivet and out they come. Now remove the oil filter adapter itself - 2 bolts and 2 O-rings. Now you work on the bench. Clean up the mess and, using 2 new O-rings from a Cadillac dealer (smear the O-rings with grease) replace the adapter with the new sender installed. The bolts only get 12 ft/lb of torque - careful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts