Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are a good METALIC pad for front and rear. Should I use stock rotors for replacement. I bought Metalic pads from a dealer several years ago and they said it will ruin the rotars. So I hear a bit of a grind in the front, so it must be time to do the whole car. Any good suggestions for a street v only. But like the good breaking that is possible with after market breaks...

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
728 Posts
I have to say, the OEM pads seem to be quite good in terms of friction coefficient and heat tolerance. At least from what I've seen so far in street use. They are more aggressive than GM pads generally are. Have you thought about sticking with the stock stuff?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The OEM pads are a good compromise between performance and dust production. If you want more stopping power there is the Hawk HP+, but they produce more dust and make some noise sometimes. Stock rotors, in my opinion are the way to go unless you have the coin to step up to some two-piece units. Luke at Lindsay can save you some money on the OEM parts as well as Hawk pads.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
50 Posts
I like Carbotech Bobcat ceramics. Slightly higher bite than stock, very controllable with good feel, low, non-corrosive dust and best of all, the dust is much more easily removed than metallic dust that wants to bond to the wheel. Makes cleaning the wheels a lot easier.

You must take a sanding flapper to the old disks and get the old brake compound off of them before installing the ceramic pads.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
128 Posts
Funny you mentioned this as I just replaced all 4 rotors and pads on my 04 last weekend. I stuck with stock replacement as a lot of testing on behalf of GM has been done. So unless you want to use ceramic to reduce dust or go with a preformance pad the stock pad set up is pretty good.
One thing I noticed is though after you clean your wheels put a coat of way on them and it makes removal of the brake dust as easy as spraying them with a hose. Unless you wash them with soap which removes the wax you can go without re-waxing them for quite some time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are just driving on the street, use the stock stuff. If you are unhappy with the stock stuff though, Hawk has great stuff but it depends on how you drive the car.
Street cars though, I would use the GM stuff and you can always swap pads around to see what you like best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts