Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to change my 2 motor mounts (front and right front) myself today but I needed to know if I can jack up the motor with a floorjack by "putting it underneath the oil pan"?

Is the oil pan's metal strong enough take the lifted wait with the jack? If not where would be the ideal place to jack up the motor to change the motor mounts?

Also, are there any little tricks I should know about before I start the job?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
DO NOT lift the engine by the oil pan. It cannot take the stress and will likely crack. You can raise the engine by placing the jack on the metal brace that brigdes the gap between the oil pan, and transmission (it covers the exhaust tube from the front). This piece it strong enough, since it is bolted directly to the case of both the engine and trans.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me ask you guys this. The motor mounts that I bought have 2 studs at each end of them sticking out. In my Helm's manual, the motor mounts are connected to a brace and it looks like they're telling me to remove these 2 braces that the mount is attached to and then remove the mount from the brace, install the new mount to the brace and then reinstall the brace with the new mounts to the engine.

If I do need to take off this brace first then do I get to its' bolts from ontop of the engine or from underneath?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correction, I did all of that for nothing. Turns out it was the rear transmission hydro-mount that needed changing. Have to re-order. Next time should be much easier though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
bigsarge2000