Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Cadillac ElDorado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were having trouble starting car sometimes. We got a code on the digital thermostat by holding down warm and off while key is in on position without car running. Code returned was 20 which pointed to fuel pump. However, the service now light was not always on either. So if your caddy is having trouble starting this may be a solution.

In The Caddy Fuel Pump Change

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,760 Posts
Tanks don't explode because of the fuel to air ratio is extremely low. It would need a 14:1 air to fuel ratio to burn.

Good video on how to drop a tank and change the fuel pump. I would have probably changed the in line fuel filter also at the same time.

·
Registered
1983 Cadillac ElDorado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tanks don't explode because of the fuel to air ratio is extremely low. It would need a 14:1 air to fuel ratio to burn.

Good video on how to drop a tank and change the fuel pump. I would have probably changed the in line fuel filter also at the same time.
Thank you for the information on fuel to air ratio. I will be ordering the fuel filter! Thanks for responding to the post!

·
Registered
83 Eldorado Biarritz, 81 Eldorado Biarritz
67 Posts
There is an easier way... Remove the bolts at the other end of the straps, they are really long and will allow the tank to drop and get slack before they come out. It's also key to re-installing the tank, trying to get the rear bolts back through the straps is going to be tough if you don't loosen the front bolts. I did it your way the first time I dropped a tank and couldn't get the rear bolts back in until I removed the front ones.

Take the front bolts out of the straps and put the rear ones back in, slide the tank back onto the straps and raise it up, because the bolts are so long at the front it is easy to get them started without any tension on the straps and then you just keep tightening them until it's snug.

Remember that tank had to go into the car as it was moving down the line, it should be easy to install, if you're having trouble you're not doing it the same way as the UAW member that built it.

·
Registered
1983 Cadillac ElDorado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, indeed I did find that little nugget a bit too late! Hopefully if someone goes to do this project will watch the video to the end and see to do the forward bolts first!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts