Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Changing from RF to Regular tires

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DavidATS 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new here. Want to get rid of run flats and put on regular tires. Just bought car, 2013 ATS, tires have 15000 miles but are 7 years old. size 225/40rf 18 and rear is 255/35rf 18. Discount says they do this replacement often but warned me that you are unable to rotate because of difference in size so plan on about 2/3 of tread life. Has anyone done this lately and can tell me your experience, happy with results. Thank you all.

#2 ·
Tread life will be reduced and the tire warranty is generally also reduced for staggered sets because of the rotation issue. My 2014 ATS premium and 2016 Corvette Z06 both have staggered tires and as long as the tires aren't unidirectional they can and should be rotated side to side on the same axle to help equalize wear. In the case of the original Bridgestone RF tires for the ATS, this was something I had to do every 4,000 miles to keep the noise level reasonable since the tread blocks wear differently on the leading and trailing edges.

Rodger

#7 ·
Tire brand/model are bigger differentiator for handling then just the extra contact patch.

Pilot sport AS/3s are my goto but they are not cheap. In that aspect ratio, the 2.0L (at least on the old '14 tune) will not do a straight line burn out unless the tires are showing cords. So GRIP. Grip everywhere, wet or dry. Once they get close to wear bars they get sketchy in the wet (as they should) but dry hangs on pretty well until they are smooth.

The 245s also sit square with the rim. 225s are a bit stretched. I've not suction cup mounted my go pro to the fender yet to verify but it's possible the wider tire may exhibit a bit more flex because the tire is not stretched but given its technically the same height, I doubt it.

If you reverse at full lock in one direction (I forget which way) over a bump, it will rub the inner fenderwell... But I've been running them for 20k miles now and I'm not even sure I could point out the spot (you hear it but it's not happening enough or with enough force to cause damage)

#8 ·
If your car came with the staggered tire widths, the rear wheels are also wider, I think 8" width in the front and 9" in the rear and I don't think the offsets are the same either. It wouldn't put the same size tires on all wheels when the wheels aren't the same size and put the 9" wheels in front and 8" in the rear. The effective width isn't the same when the wheel widths aren't equal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.