Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 Sedan Deville, 4.5 litre. Had to pull over on highway today due to loss of power. The harder I pushed on accelerator the less power I got. Have had a stumbling problem for some time now. changed wires, plugs, rotor, distributor cap, egr. While on side of road it would stall, idled high then low and white smoke from tail pipe. While waiting for tow truck I took a wrench and pounded the catalytic converter. Car idle fixed and got back in car and brought it home. Converter does not rattle when I hit it so it is possible that all of this is because the converter is plugged and when I pounded on the converter it became unplugged? Car has on 79k on it. How hard is it to change the converter? Any special tools needed? Where to I get a converter from? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Most of the time they are cut off and welded on older cars.

some cars use clamps too

It should be about a $100 replacement with install probably less though for that year.

·
Registered
927 Posts
if it only has those miles though I would suspect an oxygen sensor more than the converter if the sensor hasnt been replaced in 2+ years its due.

the converter doesnt usually fail that soon and it would fail the emissions test

·
Registered
'91 Fleetwood Coupe, '95 SLS
196 Posts
kneesrbad2 said:
89 Sedan Deville, 4.5 litre. Had to pull over on highway today due to loss of power. The harder I pushed on accelerator the less power I got. Have had a stumbling problem for some time now. changed wires, plugs, rotor, distributor cap, egr. While on side of road it would stall, idled high then low and white smoke from tail pipe. While waiting for tow truck I took a wrench and pounded the catalytic converter. Car idle fixed and got back in car and brought it home. Converter does not rattle when I hit it so it is possible that all of this is because the converter is plugged and when I pounded on the converter it became unplugged? Car has on 79k on it. How hard is it to change the converter? Any special tools needed? Where to I get a converter from? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~ Cats can Go anytime! Especially if it has to work overtime if engine is out of tune. Around $100 to $150 installed. Most are welded on.

~ Replced Cat on my Fleetwood at 88k. About 50k on my '77 Elcamino.

Skullman {:{}

1 - 4 of 4 Posts