Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been lurking here on the forums for a while and rarely post, but I do have a question. I went to a local dealership tonight to take a look at a used CPO CTS-V. The salesman and I were talking about how awesome the coverage is on the Cadillac CPO vehicles, and he says "..well at least until the 25th of this month." I asked him what he was talking about and he said that any CPO vehicle purchased AFTER midnight on April 25th, the full bumper to bumper no longer applies. He said that GM is cutting back on their warranty coverage and will no longer cover any issues with respect to trim or the sunroof. He said that any mechanical or electrical problems were still covered, but the days of replacing leaking sunroofs, worn out radio knobs, or nav units were over.

He kept saying that in order to ensure I was "locked in to the full CPO benefits" I had to purchase the car by this Saturday at midnight.

This dealership is very respectable and I've never had issues there before. I don't know why he'd make that up to get a quick sale when it is easily verified. Has anyone heard anything about this? He did say that it would NOT effect any cars that are already CPO.

And they also wouldn't let me test drive it unless I either put money down or gave them my SS# to run a credit check. He said they always get young guys (I'm 29 by the way) in there to test drive the V's and all they do is tear the cars up. He said that GM will not do any warranty work if the car is in the dealerships possession.

Was this guy just a jackass or is this common?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,718 Posts
Warranties are back by the government and Obummer. Recommend another dealership as they are not created equal.

Norm

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
I was thinking maybe the guy wasn't a jackass until I read the last part about not letting you test drive without credit check or money. I'm 29 and the dealer I bought mine from let me take it for a day with nothing more than a glimpse at my license and proof of insurance.

If Tony Show or BigRon doesn't chime in here soon I would PM one of those guys they probably can give you the answer.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
sounds like an idiot to me

I can understand the no test drive thing. If I was selling the V, I would not let anyone drive it until we agreed on a price and they were prepared to buy it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The entire thing about GM cutting back on the warranty coverage really surprised me. I've looked online this morning and all over GM/Cadillac's websites and I don't see a thing about this.

I kind of understand him not letting me drive it, but I've looked at other V's in the area over the past few months and have never had an issue driving the cars. He said that once they know "i'm serious" then I can drive it. I'm O.K. with that I guess. I know what they can do. My best friend has an '04 that I absolutely fell in love with the first time I drove it. I was ready to buy a 'vette, but my 6 month old daughter didn't think that would be a good idea.:bigroll:

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I bought mine without driving it. You know you want the car, so I don't see what a test drive will show. The car is under warranty, so if there are problems they will be taken care of. And if there is a problem with the car, they are going to be able to hide it so a test drive won't reveal it anyway.
When I was selling my bike, I got a lot of calls asking if they could come by and take it for a ride. No freaking way.
But like you said, if they know you are serious about buying it, they will let you drive it first.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only reason I even asked to drive it is that it is an '06 with the LS2. I've driven LS6 cars and currently own an LS1. I really like the LS6. I have no doubts that the LS2 is a strong motor, but I was just curious to see how it compares to my buddies LS6. I know everyone says the LS2 is a "truck motor" and it's "not as rare or nostalgic as the LS6", but with me it boils down to warranty. Most of the '04/'05 V's available are out of warranty and the CPO's are harder to come by. An '06/'07 CPO is under warranty until at least late 2011.

I appreciate the feedback guys. If anybody has any info. with respect to these warranty changes, that'd be great.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I think the LS2 has more mid range and gives up a little of the LS6's rev-happy nature. I wanted the LS6 and it's meaner cam also, but LS2 is probably the better engine.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The Dealer is telling the truth about the changes to the CPO warranty starting on the 26th. It will still be a great warranty, but won't cover as many of the cosmetic/trim/wear/tear items.

As far as the test drive goes, I've never asked for someone's SSN to drive a car. It's true that kids sometimes want to come in and joyride a car, but 29 isn't that young. Selling a car requires getting a commitment from the buyer that they're happy with the way the car drives, so asking for a commitment and credit check before a test drive is totally ridiculous. I'd politely tell them that you're more than capable of buying the car, and that your credit is of no consequence until you've decided that you're ready to make a purchase.

If they're not willing to do something as simple as that, find another Dealer who acts like they're running a Cadillac store.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
90 Posts
When I was 28, the dealer let me drive the V and never even asked for my Drivers License... until I got back and he needed to make a copy of it. He also knew almost nothing about the V (told me how good the N*'s in the Cadillac's were) but in the end... the V sold it's self. :)

Overall though, he was a pretty nice salesman, no complaints.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
My dealer told me about the CPO changes when I purchased my first CTS-V today --a silver '05 with 22,000 miles. The original warranty is good through 7/5/09; the CPO extends it two more years, but if I bought the car in three more days the "bumper to bumper" would no longer apply during those additional two years. GM has to replace the entire radio/nav console due to chipping paint on the buttons and faceplate (why on earth would they use white plastic on the knobs and paint them black?? Is this a common problem?), and they're replacing a worn seat bolster. I really lucked out in terms of timing of this purchase. In 2003, I purchased one of the first Mazda RX-8's when they came out, and I traded it in on the CTS-V today. My Mazda forum was a big help, and I look forward to learning a lot from all of you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts