Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the right rear rotor and pads on my 92 Eldo w/138,000 miles on it.

When I had the wheel jacked off the ground, the wheel would spin normally before I changed the brakes. Now, it takes some force to move it and it won't spin. It just stops as soon as I stop turning it.

I only drove the car around the block to test it after I changed the brakes. Do I need to drive it more before it adjusts? It seemed to drive normally but I didn't go very far.

Does the fact that I didn't change the left rear make a difference? I didn't have time to do that side yet.

I'm going to drive it to work today so we'll see what happens.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Take the wheel back off and make sure the pads are installed correctly.
If the pins in the inboard pad do not align with the divots in the piston this can happen.
Make sure you have the right pads in the right position too, those have inboard and outboard pads and you can't mix them up (if I remember right).
Why didn't you do the other side?
All brake work should be done "per axle" or in pairs.
I understand time limitations if that is why.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,575 Posts
DO NOT drive it like this. It's like driving with your parking brake engaged. You'll just wear down the pad and overheat the rotor. Did you retract the piston (all the way) before installing the new pads?

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Not sure if ‘92 is the same but the ‘97 has the wear metal tab on the outside pad and none on the inside. Definitely the wheel should not stop immediate after you release it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just didn't have time to do the other wheel yesterday. I turned the piston for a while and it seemed like it wasn't backing up any further and just kept turning. Is it supposed to stop at some point?

I'm pretty sure the pads are installed correctly with the divit lined up and the pads in the correct positions. I'll have to double check.

The car drove like it usualy did when I drove it on a 40 mile round trip. I touched of the rear calipers through the wheel and they felt slightly warm and the same temperature, not like one was overheating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts