Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out and got some Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 and Amsoil ATF. I couldn't believe how expensive it was, but this stuff stays in for a long time. So I thought I might as well.

Got the V in the air and found my first problem. If you have a Magnaflow cat back exhaust installed, you will not be able to get the fill plug of the diff off without a 10mm allen socket. A normal allen key will not have enough travel to take off the fill plug. So I had to run to Sears for a set of allen sockets. I had 43k on my diff fluid and it looked and smelled bad. Filled it p with Amsoil and all is good.

Getting under the V to change out the transmission fluid is another story. Trying to get this car up in the air as high as you can isn't easy with a floor jack and jackstands. I read up a little before I did this fluid change. I was aware that the fluid was going to come out of the transmission like a geyser, so I put the draining container up near the drain hole. It helped a lot. I would have had it all over the floor if I didn't research that. But I got all of the old fluid out and the new fluid ATF fluid in.

Took it for a test drive and the rear diff seems much quieter than it did. I am also able to get the transmission into reverse a lot easier. Before I would have to try quite a few times. Now its like butter.

Thanks for all those that posted up before about their experiences. It helped me out a lot.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
:werd:

+1 on the allen socket

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
168 Posts
Thanks for this post. As a new V owner with a 42k car, it is a good reminder for me to search the faq, start a maintenance log, and perform a lot of maintenance now rather than later!

-PJ

·
Registered
2005 CTS V (long gone), 2016 CT6
315 Posts
I do the transmission and diff fluid with the front tires on ramps and the rear of the car on jack stands with no problem. Allen socket is a must. I change both fluids every year!

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
+1 on tranny fluid all over the floor. :rant2:

I didn't realize how friggin' fast that stuff would come out of there. What a mess!

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I do the transmission and diff fluid with the front tires on ramps and the rear of the car on jack stands with no problem. Allen socket is a must. I change both fluids every year!
Funny, I do the opposite. I back the V onto rhino ramps in the back, and then I get a jack in from under the driver's door to the front cross brace and then jack it up.

·
Registered
CTS-V
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny, I do the opposite. I back the V onto rhino ramps in the back, and then I get a jack in from under the driver's door to the front cross brace and then jack it up.
That's exactly what I did. But both of my floor jacks won't jack the car up high enough. Getting under to drain and fill the transmission was a PITA.

I think the FAQ could be updated with the 10mm allen socket. I followed it and then had to borrow my girls car to go to Sears since my car was up in the air. Honda's have no power what so ever. And VTEC just has no torque LOL!!!!

No doubt C66. I have used Amsoil in all of my previous rides with great success.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
10mm socket is a must for B&B exhaust as well.....sounds like anything bigger than the stock system needs it. I'll say it again,always remove the fill plug first!

If your jack can't get high as you'd like it to, get a 4x4 block of wood and cut it down to fit your jack head. It'll raise it up nice and high for your jackstands, and be easier on your undercarriage than the jack head will be. Yes, it'll be strong enough.

P

·
0 Posts
If your jack can't get high as you'd like it to, get a 4x4 block of wood and cut it down to fit your jack head. It'll raise it up nice and high for your jackstands, and be easier on your undercarriage than the jack head will be. Yes, it'll be strong enough.
That's only required for you 'larger' guys. :canttalk:

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Forgot how I did it, but I used an allen key with my Magnaflow. I always use a 2*4 between the car and/or stands. Also, hydrolic jack stands come in very handy.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
I recently did all this too (with AMSoil) and found it all quite easy.

A torx bit will work instead of the allen head if you got those.

·
Registered
Platinum 2006 V
75 Posts
You need a socket for the rear end, a regular Allen key just won't do it. I plan on changing my differential lube soon with Amsoil 75W 90 and see if that little bit of whine disappears. You did put Amsoil Torque Drive in the tranny...right? Also does anyone run the 0W 30 Signature Series and do they notice any difference compared to the 5W 30. It's pretty cold some winter mornings here.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
Yes, to the AMSoil Torque drive.

You might want to go 75W-140 if you want even less whine....or a blend of the two.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Where are the front jack points on the 09 CTS V? I see the spots just in front of the rear tires, but have not seen the front points...geezer here...I need some help from you limber-backed flat-bellies...:helpless:

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Where are the front jack points on the 09 CTS V? I see the spots just in front of the rear tires, but have not seen the front points...geezer here...I need some help from you limber-backed flat-bellies...:helpless:
There is the front cross-brace and also the frame rails on each side of the header area for stands. And there should be jack puck holes just behind the front tires...

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
Also does anyone run the 0W 30 Signature Series and do they notice any difference compared to the 5W 30.
Torque Drive is the preferred AMSOIL fluid for the CTS-V, though the AMSOIL Universal ATF is an acceptable alternative. I have the Torque Drive in mine, but had been using the ATF. Really couldn't feel a difference between the two.

I've been using the predecessor to the Signature Series 0w30, the Series 2000 0w30 in my V for a few years now. I have the Sig Series in it now and the OLM is down to 46% so in about a month or two I'll be ready for another used oil analysis sample. Been happy with how the 0w30 has been performing in my V (and we saw many many days below freezing here last winter).
Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis – AMSOIL 0w30
:cheers:

·
Registered
05 CTS-V, 04 Armada, 11 STi Hatch
247 Posts
Glad I bailed on the rear diffy fluid change last night. I'll try tomorrow night with the socket.

-mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts