Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Escalade 6.0
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My old headlights were looking very depressed, so I decided to change the lenses.

I think that the new lenses give the Escalade a “fresh” look again.

I used the replacement lenses by Spyder Auto. Job was fairly easy, however getting the factory headlights apart was the most time-consuming part. But it gave me the opportunity to clean the factory headlights as they had a lot of “white dust” (don’t know what it is) on them.

Old ones

New ones

Old vs. New

·
Registered
2004 ESV
856 Posts
Nice. I would have tried one of those headlight restore kits first. But it's amazing how something so simple makes such a huge difference in the look of the vehicle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That looks good, I may have to get new lens my self, I tried a place that restores them but the upper and lower are still pretty faded. I wonder how those will hold up over time

·
Registered
2004 ESV
856 Posts
What method did you use to remove the lens? Heat them in the oven, or use a heat gun?

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
134 Posts
Mine were so bad as well. I tried the restore polish and a buffer but it only made the bottom half look better. The tops were toast. I went the route of replacing both lamp with these below. These are the HID ones and I installed them 2/2018 and to this day they never have leaked or fogged up and still look brand new.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade 6.0
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both.

I was originally thinking about using a restore kit, but since the old headligths had already been restored once and the driver side lens had a crack I thought I'd just replace them. I didn't want any moisture making its way into the headlight

I've seen some vidoes of people having them restored, where it looks great, but how long that lasts i'm not sure.

I used a heatgun, very carefully so that I would not melt any plastic on the headlight and a red flat tool (something I got sometime ago while I was working with vinyl wrap). Applying heat carefully, made the "rubber/glue like" adhesive melt so that I could seperate the lens and headlight housing.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade 6.0
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine were so bad as well. I tried the restore polish and a buffer but it only made the bottom half look better. The tops were toast. I went the route of replacing both lamp with these below. These are the HID ones and I installed them 2/2018 and to this day they never have leaked or fogged up and still look brand new.

That was actually also a solution that I was looking into, but went with just the lenses for now. Sounds really good if you've had them for 2 years and they still look brand new. Was it pure plug and play (as the link says)?

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
134 Posts
That was actually also a solution that I was looking into, but went with just the lenses for now. Sounds really good if you've had them for 2 years and they still look brand new. Was it pure plug and play (as the link says)?
The HID wire that came with the set was short if I recall. It was a simple fix though as I just swapped out the wire from my old set and the install was plug and play after that. I left a review with picts on Amazon. I actually bought them when they went on sale at 160.00 so it was pretty clear that was the route I was going.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade 6.0
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I think i've read your review with the pics now (if you're Ray on amazon). Thank you for the link, nice to know that these are almost plug and play.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
856 Posts
Looking up Spyder Auto led me to find out Home Depot sells their products ?

But also, these lights are not compatible with any of the models of Escalade you select according to the Depot website.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade 6.0
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i'm not mistaken I think a lot of the aftermarket headlights are produced the same place, just under different "brand" names.
Bought mine on carid, didn't notice it was spyder auto until I got the order confirmation email. I'll see how they hold up as time goes.

·
Registered
04 Escalade ESV
4 Posts
If i'm not mistaken I think a lot of the aftermarket headlights are produced the same place, just under different "brand" names.
Bought mine on carid, didn't notice it was spyder auto until I got the order confirmation email. I'll see how they hold up as time goes.
Hey EscaladeDream, any initial impressions of the spyder headlights after a few months? I was looking on carid for some OEM-looking headlights for my recently purchased 04 ESV and wasn't sure if any of the brands were better than others. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade 6.0
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey EscaladeDream, any initial impressions of the spyder headlights after a few months? I was looking on carid for some OEM-looking headlights for my recently purchased 04 ESV and wasn't sure if any of the brands were better than others. Thanks a lot.
I'm very pleased with the headlight lenses, they still look fresh new. Please note that I didn't buy the whole headlight assembly from spyderauto, I just bought the lenses and replaced the factory ones.

·
Registered
04 Escalade ESV
4 Posts
Ah I somehow misread that. They look really good, nice job. I am trying to decide if I want to try swapping the lenses also and risk botching it, or risking buying some non-oem but oem-style headlights that might not be as high of quality. Hmm. Thanks for info and pic!

·
Registered
14 Posts
@EscaladeDream I'm not seeing lenses from spyderauto anyhere, just full headlight assemblies. Can you provide a link to where you got them or point me in the right direction? Thank you.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade 6.0
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@DrKessler I bought them on carid.com, I found the part no in the order confirmation e-mail so I could search on carid. Below is the link for the lenses.

When I ordered them, I did fill out the vehicle information with year, make and model and the carid site said they would fit (and they did).

·
Registered
14 Posts
@DrKessler I bought them on carid.com, I found the part no in the order confirmation e-mail so I could search on carid. Below is the link for the lenses.

When I ordered them, I did fill out the vehicle information with year, make and model and the carid site said they would fit (and they did).
Thank you much.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L "Lady"
26 Posts
I just bought a new set on ebay from EagleEyes. $115 for both with bulbs, granted I hear the bulbs are cheap China crap, I'll pay $115 over and over with how easy they are to swap out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts