Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those who have changed their cabin filter from one mechanically challenged: I just replaced mine today. Used the Fram Fresh Breeze filter. First I had to find my small socket set to remove the 3 'screws' on the leaf screen. I was surprised when I discovered the screen is attached to a weatherstrip seal. Now Im getting nervous. Got to make sure I dont screw this up and not reinstall the seal properly. But that wasnt difficult.
Removed filter cover using the tabs on either side. Of course you cant see them but the cover comes off easily. Then I just had to pop out old filter. No wrestling with this one. It came right out.
I put the new Fram filter in with AIR FLOW arrow pointing towards firewall. I assume thats air flow direction - into the air compartment in the car. The GM original filter had no such indicator. When I placed the new filter in the compartment it was seated behind two tabs at the bottom but here's where the question is - there are 2 tabs at the top of the compartment. It seemed logical that the filter would fit under these tabs to keep it snug in place but that didnt work - filter cannot fit under these tabs. I didnt notice if the original filter was under them but given the old filter came right out/up, I dont think it did either.
Is this what you determined? The filter rests against the top tabs and does NOT fit under them? There's alot of space between filter and firewall compartment. I am again guessing that when you turn on A/C, the compartment door opens to form a seal with the filter and prevent outside air penetrating into car w/o coming through filter. Am I correct in these assumptions?
I cant wait to do air filter.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
ttt

I am ready to tackle this filter replacement and am looking for step by step instructions.. also, I want to replace mine with a charcoal impregnated filter to help eliminate smells.. AC Delco has one, not sure if there is an aftermarket one available.

Dana

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
Haven't replaced mine yet, but am due (just hit 30K). Is the factory filter charcoal impregnated? Or are there two options available?

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
jghiller,

I did mine last year. Generally I do it once a year after Atlanta spring pollen season ends. If I recall correctly I had similar experience with the placing the filter. But I think there is only one position that it fits.

dboat, yatesd

I purchased mine at Autozone. It was Bosh particulate filter for $49.95, charcoal one would set me back less than $30. I was told that the particulate filter is more effective. So far I am happy with it and smell is not an issue.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
jghiller,

I did mine last year. Generally I do it once a year after Atlanta spring pollen season ends. If I recall correctly I had similar experience with the placing the filter. But I think there is only one position that it fits.

dboat, yatesd

I purchased mine at Autozone. It was Bosh particulate filter for $49.95, charcoal one would set me back less than $30. I was told that the particulate filter is more effective. So far I am happy with it and smell is not an issue.
Thanks, I will go that route..

anyone seen step by step directions to do this? I would like to know what to expect.. I have done it on my Acura before I traded it in. Wasnt too bad. But the dealer wanted 90 bucks to do it.. arghh
Dana

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Dana
I will change my filter sometime in April. If you can wait that long I can post the instruction with photos...

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
FWIW, I ordered OEM ACDelco filters from amazon.com vendor ACDirect Amazon.com: ACDelco CF133 Cabin Air Filter: Automotive, can't beat their prices:

$23.04 ACDelco CF133 Cabin Air Filter (particulate + charcoal)
$17.64 ACDelco A3096C Engine Air Filter Element
$04.99 S&H
$45.67 Total

Still haven't gotten around to installing the new filters, so I'm reading these threads with great interest.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
928S

thank you for the info. I am going to order both filters right now.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
Oops!

CORRECTION: ACDelco CF133 Passenger Cabin Air Filter is a particle or particulate type filter without charcoal, contrary to what I posted above. The CF133 packaging says that ACDelco cabin air filters with activated charcoal have a 'C' part number suffix, and this one does not...sorry about that, folks.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
fwiw - The AC Delco and Wix cabin filters all seem to originate from one source no matter whose name appears on the box. I have a Wix, a AC Delco and the old GM original one from my CTS and they all the same name on the filter and they all match up perfectly. The replacement AC, OEM GM and the Wix are made by MirconAir and I would bet most others are too, look on the filter for that name, its on all 3 I have. Then you can shop for the best price, I found the Wix a lot cheaper around me.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Z, thanks for the pics and the post.. it will give me a larger area to search for a new filter.. :thumbsup:

Dana

·
Registered
Cadillac
207 Posts
Be careful when you replace the in-cabin filter. There are two different filters depending which luxury Pkg your car comes with. The base CTS up to the Luxury Pkg 1 come the basic filter, while the Luxury Pkg2 comes with a HEPA filter which filter out all dust and most pollens. There is quite a difference in price also. The HEPA costs around $85 while the basic filter costs around $45. The HEPA filter does an amazing job of keeping dust from entering the cabin.

·
Registered
Cadillac
207 Posts
Bob, are they interchangeable? would make for a nice upgrade.

Dana
Dana, I am not sure if they are or not. I think that the HEPA's might b a little thicker because there is more material in them. I would contact your dealer's parts dept and ask them. If they are interchangeable, and you are willing to pay the extra price, I think that they are worth it. They really keep the interior cleaner and the air a little fresher, as long as you keep the windows closed!

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Dana, I am not sure if they are or not. I think that the HEPA's might b a little thicker because there is more material in them. I would contact your dealer's parts dept and ask them. If they are interchangeable, and you are willing to pay the extra price, I think that they are worth it. They really keep the interior cleaner and the air a little fresher, as long as you keep the windows closed!
I agree and would want to use the HEPA filter if possible

Dana

·
Registered
798 Posts
I just changed the cabin filter today. The dealer charged me $46 for the filter.

The process was pretty easy. I just followed the manual. A flashlight does help you see what you are doing. Mine was dirty enough to justify replacing with almost 2 years and 31,000 miles.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Question for those who have changed their cabin filter from one mechanically challenged: I just replaced mine today. Used the Fram Fresh Breeze filter................................When I placed the new filter in the compartment it was seated behind two tabs at the bottom but here's where the question is - there are 2 tabs at the top of the compartment. It seemed logical that the filter would fit under these tabs to keep it snug in place but that didnt work - filter cannot fit under these tabs. I didnt notice if the original filter was under them but given the old filter came right out/up, I dont think it did either.
The filter definitely just rests next to the tabs (not below). Remove straight up and drop straight down.

I am fairly confident airflow goes into the cabin. No airflow indication on the OEM version, I just placed the new filter in the exact same way as the old using the writing on the filter as a reference.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
I just changed the cabin filter today. The dealer charged me $46 for the filter.

The process was pretty easy. I just followed the manual. A flashlight does help you see what you are doing. Mine was dirty enough to justify replacing with almost 2 years and 31,000 miles.
There are directions in the owners manual? I dont recall seeing them..

Dana

1 - 20 of 46 Posts