Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an '04 V and was wondering how hard would it be to replace the buttons along the right side of the nav screen?

Regards,
Shaun

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think that they will change the buttons just because the paint has come off a couple of them?

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
lol, I tried babying mine...it doesn't work, theres always going to be that one bump in the road right when your trying to hit one of the presets...and then it happens :mad: and just keeps getting worse from there on....I just stopped caring, I'll wait till it gets really bad and get a new one...then clear coat em. :rant2:

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I thought they may have fixed this problem on the 07 but GM must like to replace these radio's with the flaking buttons.

The bottom 2 on the right side just started to flake and I have been very easy on these buttons.

The clear coat is a good idea, I may try it after I have the buttons fixed but that may not be for a while.

Rob

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
I thought they may have fixed this problem on the 07 but GM must like to replace these radio's with the flaking buttons.

The bottom 2 on the right side just started to flake and I have been very easy on these buttons.

The clear coat is a good idea, I may try it after I have the buttons fixed but that may not be for a while.

Rob
Your's are already flaking?

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
It is real easy to do yourself.
If I recall correctly, you need a 1/8" nut driver to remove the faceplate and access the buttons.

I changed my entire faceplate which involves removing all buttons.
Lindsay sells all the parts.

Keep your car out of the dealers hands.
FYI the radio they will exchange with you will be a refurb (not new), so you are likely better off keeping your own.

That was my reasoning since I had the Nav Flash on mine and I knew everthing worked as it should.
If dealer changes the radio, it's a tossup if they will properly program it for Traction Control Mode and perform the Nav Flash.

Also, if you do your own you can spray the buttons with clearcoat before you install them.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Your's are already flaking?
I couldn't believe it myself. I only drive the car about half the week and in 7 Mo's I only have about 6K on the car. It's only 2 buttons so far but they are the two buttons I push most. I'm sure there will be more to come.

I like the Aluminum button idea, anybody have a bottun lying around With the paint pealing off) they want to get rid of, I will pay for the shipping of course. I want to see how difficult it would be for me to have some of these buttons fabbed up.

BTW, Are all of the buttons shaped the same way?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
They're all identical. The only hard part will be leaving a small slit in the aluminum for the light to shine through at night. A small hole with a piece of clear Lexan glued behind it would also work.

Massive points to the person who does it first. They would match my Lasstss aluminum radio knobs, vent knobs and armrest caps very nicely. :D

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
All the buttons are not identical.
I tried to reverse mine to even out the wear, as I was reusing all my old buttons (they have not peeled yet).

I found that some buttons would not fit in certian openings.
I believe the different sizing has to do with the curvature of the faceplate.
They fit if you force them but then they will bind in use.

If you fab up from the smaller buttons they will work in all locations.
The buttons are hinged on one side so fabbing may not be that easy.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Huh....good thing none of my co-workers read this forum, as I'd get crap forever for actually not knowing something about a Cadillac. They're constantly trying to stump me (to no avail :D).

Nice catch, LunarX.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts