Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 deville/95 fleetwood
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls. Do you know how the (change oil) light indicator works in my 1995 Fleetwood. Is it milage or what?? and if so how many miles?

·
Registered
1995 FWB 130.*** miles
2,288 Posts
It is not just mileage. The computer uses a special algorithm which takes into account your driving pattern (highway or city), engine temperature, RPM, cold starts, etc.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
^ Really?!

That's pretty crazy stuff! They should have something that analyzes the oil quality and viscocity or something! lol

·
Registered
1995 FWB 130.*** miles
2,288 Posts
^ Really?!

That's pretty crazy stuff! They should have something that analyzes the oil quality and viscocity or something! lol
Nope, there are no sensors analyzing viscosity. Everything is based on the data provided with TPS, ECT, etc. All Cadillacs do have Oil Life Monitor. My 1991 Seville actually showed the % of "oil life" left.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I don't know what parameters does the oil sensor uses but I had not changed the oil for 12 months and my battery was dead then I had it recharged the engine just as the car back roared to life, guess what happened ...CHANGE OIL light went off lol
I was surprised in a sense but I had not covered more than 2K miles past 1 year in that time .

·
Registered
1995 FWB 130.*** miles
2,288 Posts
I don't know what parameters does the oil sensor uses but I had not changed the oil for 12 months and my battery was dead then I had it recharged the engine just as the car back roared to life, guess what happened ...CHANGE OIL light went off lol
I was surprised in a sense but I had not covered more than 2K miles past 1 year in that time .
Disconnecting battery will not compromise the state of your oil life monitor.

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,695 Posts
Its not crazy stuff, it works and is accurate. I had a bad fan - found out when the oil change light came on after only 1,000 miles between changes. That's when I started to check around and found out the fan motor had quit.

It pi$$es me off that the FWDs had this trip computer jazz that actually showed your % oil life remaining but the RWD Fleetwoods did not...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts