Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 seville and the change engine oil is on and so is the abs light is on, what could cause it if I change the oil every 3000miles? Also it wont pass smog due to a high idle! is there a sensor I can replace or am I doomed?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Welcome aboard,
The "change oil" light is just a timed reminder and has nothing to do with the actual oil in the car. You could change it and the light will stay on until you reset it (turn key on, press gas pedal to the floor "3" times within "5" seconds).
The other issues are going to need some diagnosing and are most likely unrelated to each other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Katshot said:
Welcome aboard,
The "change oil" light is just a timed reminder and has nothing to do with the actual oil in the car. You could change it and the light will stay on until you reset it (turn key on, press gas pedal to the floor "3" times within "5" seconds).
The other issues are going to need some diagnosing and are most likely unrelated to each other.
The smog pass issue might be as simple as a major tune up. Make sure you change the spark plugs, new plug wires (both top quality), air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, and oxygen sensor (most over looked part during a tune up & not that expensive) & adjust timing to factory specs. An oil change & premium fuel (sunoco ultra 94 is the best available with lowest sulphur content ppm) at the same time as well will not hurt. I'd be very suprised if after that service is performed & you still don't pass the smog test. Keep us posted & Good luck! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts