Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the break pads in my 99 STS when the message came up. The pads still had a fair amount of life in them.
The message is still there.
Is there a way to disable the sensors?
Where is the sensor and how much do they cost?
Do i have to buy 4 sensors, how do I know which one has gone bad?

Thanks alot guys!

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Run your codes, it should tell you which one it is...I don't know for sure if the onboard does that, but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
The sensor for change brake pads is tucked into the pad. I've got a picture of them somewhere...

see in the upper right corner of the picture that little wire with the nub at the end? that's the sensor. it's surrounded by plastic until it's worn down. then the copper inside the plastic is grounded to the rotor when the sensor is worn, triggering the "change brake pads" message. I've read on here the sensors are $20 a piece at the dealer (?)

Hopefully that helps you out, if not, sorry I posted useless information. ;)

here: http://gallery.iametarq.com/photos/cars/cadillac 1998 seville sls/brakes/IMG_0896.JPG

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Benjamin Simon said:
I changed the break pads in my 99 STS when the message came up. The pads still had a fair amount of life in them.
The message is still there.
Is there a way to disable the sensors?
Where is the sensor and how much do they cost?
Do i have to buy 4 sensors, how do I know which one has gone bad?

Thanks alot guys!

When you find the open sensor, you really should replace it.

But you can buy some time by removing the open sensor from the chassis connector and putting a jumper of some kind (paper clip?) into the connector to act as a replacement for the sensor.

BTW, ACDelco OEM pad sets include new sensors.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To tell you the truth, i did not see that little nub. I am suppose to plug it into something? I did not take the sensor off. I would have noticed having to unplug it. Do I need to plug it back in?
How much do the AC Delco pads cost?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If you changed the brake pads, you had to touch the pad wear sensors. The sensors are mounted in the center of the inboard pad, and connect to a chassis connector located less than 12" away.

I don't remember what I paid the last time I bought ACDelco pads. You might be able to find replacement sensors as part #18026765.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
JimD said:
If you changed the brake pads, you had to touch the pad wear sensors. The sensors are mounted in the center of the inboard pad, and connect to a chassis connector located less than 12" away.
this is true. the sensor SHOULD have been in the brake pad on the 'top of it. there will be a notch about the size of your pinky fingernail in width and just about as deep.

unless of course whoever worked on the brakes last, DID NOT put the sensor back on the pad, like mine did. (i blame the dealer I bought it from)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not work on them before. Perhaps they went around it somehow. I have had the car for 30K, how did they get the message not to come up if the sescors were not installed?

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Benjamin Simon said:
I did not work on them before. Perhaps they went around it somehow. I have had the car for 30K, how did they get the message not to come up if the sescors were not installed?
One of the wheel sensors must be shorted to ground still to give you a warning.
The sensors are ground seeking in order to close the warning light circuit. If they were not installed, that's an open circuit and the light should not come on.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
EcSTSatic said:
One of the wheel sensors must be shorted to ground still to give you a warning.
The sensors are ground seeking in order to close the warning light circuit. If they were not installed, that's an open circuit and the light should not come on.
No!! Not correct for a 1998 - 2004 Seville.

The brake pad sensor warning sytem is monitoring for an "open" circuit.

When the pad sensor loop goes open, the "trigger" point in the EBTCM goes to 5 volts and turns on the device that illuminates the DIC message.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I also have this problem I bought 2 new sensors from a local cadillac dealer for almost $30 each (BIG waste of money) because my fronts were torn off, I replaced them and I still get the message "change brake pads" I reset my codes and it came back as soon as I put it into gear, So I checked the rear sensors and there where none nothing plugged into the connector at all so I took what was left of the front ones and just hooked the wires together to make a connection and taped them up plugged them in, and I still get the message "Change Brake Pads" but now when I reset my codes the message goes away UNTIL I shut my car off and restart it then like magic the code comes back across the dash "change brake pads".... How can I make this go away?????

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
JimD said:
No!! Not correct for a 1998 - 2004 Seville.

The brake pad sensor warning sytem is monitoring for an "open" circuit.

When the pad sensor loop goes open, the "trigger" point in the EBTCM goes to 5 volts and turns on the device that illuminates the DIC message.
I see how that could work but how is it then that drivers are putting non-sensor type pads in their cars, tying or leaving off the sensors, and not getting the pad lights? Just curous.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
One possible way is to jumper the chassis connector at the locations with no sensors installed in the pads.

Or, leave the sensor connected to the chassis wiring and just tie it off somewhere out of the way of anything else.

You could disable the entire system at the LF wheel, but that is not something I would do or recommend.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Jim's just playing a syntax game, causing more confusion than answering questions, certainly not contributing anything toward finding a soultion to op's problem.

Open means that the circut is broken, the 2 wires are not connected. Closed means that the wires are connected, not broken. A closed circut, not shorted out, reads as proper operation. An open circut, one that has broken wires and/or shorted to the rotor activates the din.

With the overflow of intellegence, why don't you contribute comments of which may help solve the problem? If you didn't see wires coming off the pads, the pads were probally replaced with pads without sensors.

Put the car on stands and pull the wheels. Behind the backing plates, you'll notice wireing plugs with 2 wires coming out of them. These are where the brake sensors from the pads attach.

Inspect these connections and the wires. The way you find a way to "jump" the sensors is the way I did it. Wind the wires together, tape them, and secrure them firmly behind the backing plate.

On my car, I don't know how the hell one would install sensors in the pads. My car had the sensors intergrated in the pad, and if there is a way in which one installs these intergrated sensors into a non sensor pad, I'd like to hear how it was done.

Bigbody: Assuming that our cars have the same set-up, please explain how you installed the sensors. I don't see how one would install the sensors witout them shorting out. Throwing something on the back what was never there and didn't cause a problem before doesn't help matters.

By the way, there is a easy way to test it: IF you didn't have anything on the back, and you weren't getting the code, unhook them. Next, unhook the front ones from their connectors. Leaving the front wires unhooked, find whatever it takes to complete the circut. You could probally buss the terminals with a scrap peice of wire. I'd bet money that the problem would to away, meaning that the problem lies in whatever you did to "install" sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK the sensors that I bought for the front I just plugged in and ziptied them to the struts outta the way.. And because I still got the code after installing and clearing all codes, I went to the rear brakes to check those sensors to find that there were none so I used what was left from the front and just made some "jumpers" by twisting the wires together and taping.. But the code still comes across my dash, I can keep clearing the codes but as soon as I shut off my car and start it again they're back, so I'm thinking that maybe my car either has a bad wire somewhere OR there is some other way the code has to be cleared.. But I willl try to figure it out first thing in the morning and if I find a solution I will let everyone know how I acomplished it..

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
If you have all four sensors plugged in, and your still getting the message, the only thing I can think of, is maybe one of the wires at oen of the four sensors has an open, or intermittent open in it, causing the message to come back. The only real way to check the wiring, is with a proper wireing schematic, preferably out of the factory service manual. I will try and scan the schematic out of my '98 (whcih should be the exact same setup) tomorrow, and will post it on here, so you can take a look on your car.

·
Registered
1999 Black and Tan STS
753 Posts
I also went back and forth with this same trouble on my 99 STS. I finally just paid the big $$ to the dealer and bought factory pads, installed them myself.. Never had any trouble since. I have done this 2 times in the 145,000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jim D,
you said you could disable the entire system at the LF wheel, but that is not something I would do or recommend.
Can you tell me how i can do this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts