Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my front brake pads and rotors and since the new pads didn't come with the wear indicator plug, I clipped the wires that were attached to the old OEM pads.

Now I get a warning every 2 weeks or so to change my pads. I have not replaced my rear discs yet.

Could the warning be telling me the rear pads need to be changed or are the wires in the front occasionally touching something to give me a false reading?

Thanks

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
The circuit that triggers that message loops through all four outboard pad wear sensors to a chassis ground connection. The message appears when the sensor circuit is "opened" by a poor connection OR one or more of the wear sensors worn to the point of breaking the wire.

Did you twist the ends of the sensor wires together when you clipped the wires on the front sensors?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,126 Posts
:tisk: The pad wear sensors are part of a looped circuit which feeds the ABS and Stability module. (ETCBM) The sensors need to be replaced and the correct pads installed. You may well have created a very dangerous problem. NEVER alter or remove any sensor from a vehicle control system, particularly the STS/SLS/Eldo line.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
There is no danger in what you did. Do not worry about it as your brakes will work perfectly without the sensors. As stated by JimD, you need to twist the wires together where you "snipped" them. That will complete the circuit and make the warning go away.

Don

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no danger in what you did. Do not worry about it as your brakes will work perfectly without the sensors. As stated by JimD, you need to twist the wires together where you "snipped" them. That will complete the circuit and make the warning go away.

Don

Thanks Don.

Yes I did twist them and used liquid electrical tape to seal them.

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:tisk: The pad wear sensors are part of a looped circuit which feeds the ABS and Stability module. (ETCBM) The sensors need to be replaced and the correct pads installed. You may well have created a very dangerous problem. NEVER alter or remove any sensor from a vehicle control system, particularly the STS/SLS/Eldo line.

I bought hi-performance cross drilled cadmium rotors and EBC high performance pads.

If it is dangerous, then why didn't EBC pads for my model come with the sensors installed?

I think the sensors are only for wear indication and have no bearing on ABS or brake performance.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Thanks Don.

Yes I did twist them and used liquid electrical tape to seal them.
If you haven't checked the rears yet, it may be time to do so. If they check out okay, you may want to check your work on the fronts. The wires may have come apart on you.

Don

·
Administrator
69,126 Posts
The '02 Seville FSM states that wear sensors are included with OEM replacement pad kits, and gives some good pointers on replacement. A simple unplug-plug operation. The English (EBC) site for "Redstuff" pads (super street) indicates that their pads are routed out for wear indicators. The sensors are available from the usual GM sites...GMPartsDirect, RockAuto, GMMotors............If you want to do a quickie slapdash job on brakes, then do so....I'll not put out bum dope based on hearsay in a public forum and hang my butt out for a lawsuit, especially when it comes to an absolute safety item such as brakes.

·
Administrator
69,126 Posts
:bigroll: ^^^Didn't mean to get on my soapbox, but I've seen and been involved in some pretty hairy racing accidents due to faulty brakes.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
:bigroll: ^^^Didn't mean to get on my soapbox, but I've seen and been involved in some pretty hairy racing accidents due to faulty brakes.
Just remember that the wear sensors are exactly that, just to let the driver know that the pads are worn. Many billions of cars have been produced without this feature, and never had an issue. It is only a convenience issue so you don't have to remove your wheels and get dirty to check your brake pads. They serve no other purpose. The brake system works independently from the wear sensors. So disabling the sensors poses no threat at all. Personally, I would keep them, but that is just me. I like the feature since it is my first vehicle that has had it. Plus the sensors aren't that expensive to get. But many folks do not want to spend the additional cash for a feature that may not be important to them. For those cutting the wires and twisting them together is perfectly fine. The brake system will still work as intended.

Don

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,725 Posts
I added EBC Greenstuff pads to my 2000 STS. Those pads didn't have any place for the wear sensors, so I taped the wires together as mentioned. That was 3 years ago, and I've had no problems. The EBC pads have wear indicators like every other car, so it's not a safety issue. Just listen for the wear indicators, or check the pads once in a while and you'll be ok.

·
Administrator
69,126 Posts
:confused: Just received a mail from EBC Tech service in England. Their Greenstuff sport pad upgrade, DP21100/2 (front) and 21621/2(rear), for the '98-'03 Seville, has the proper hole for the OEM wear sensor.

·
Registered
2002 STS
47 Posts
How long after I get the message to change brake pads should I change them? I got the message Oct 31, 2007 and am going to get around to changing them around the end of November.

I am only driving a little bit now, in the city and trying to avoid any hard braking like the plague...

I can take it to a dealer but I would like to save myself the couple hundred dollars and do them myself if they will last until then. I am doing the rotors at the same time and have new wear sensors, so is there any reason not to wait and do it myself??

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
They're a convenience item NOW. IN a few years they may become required by law, like the TPMS. It's a federal offence to remove or alter ANY portion of the Tire Pressure Monitor System and as you all know beginning in Oct of 2007 ALL cars must have them from the factory. These will both soon become an inspection item in many states.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
ALL EBC pads have the proper connector and or provision for sensors. I told you guys that in another thread.

:confused: Just received a mail from EBC Tech service in England. Their Greenstuff sport pad upgrade, DP21100/2 (front) and 21621/2(rear), for the '98-'03 Seville, has the proper hole for the OEM wear sensor.

·
Registered
Cadillac
242 Posts
The English (EBC) site for "Redstuff" pads (super street) indicates that their pads are routed out for wear indicators. The sensors are available from the usual GM sites...GMPartsDirect, RockAuto, GMMotors......
Hey Sub - Do you have the partnumber of those sensors for my 98 Seville STS? I'm planing to buy the EBC "Greenstuff" pads and would like to keep this safety feature.

·
Administrator
69,126 Posts
There are 2 different in-line connectors for the sensors, so you have to look at one to get the correct set. The connector is on the frame (stationary) side of the wheel hub unit.

Look at www.rockauto.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com or e-mail the parts people at Lindsay Cadillac in VA >>>.over on the right.

If ewill3 isn't snowed under, he might offer further guidance.

·
Registered
Cadillac
242 Posts
There are 2 different in-line connectors for the sensors, so you have to look at one to get the correct set. The connector is on the frame (stationary) side of the wheel hub unit.

Look at www.rockauto.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com or e-mail the parts people at Lindsay Cadillac in VA >>>.over on the right.

If ewill3 isn't snowed under, he might offer further guidance.

So is this what I need? :

ACDELCO Part # PT374 {2-WAY FEMALE BLACK M/P 150 #12102747}
CONNECTOR,SEN-DISC BRK PAD WEAR

Found this on rockauto.com. I could not find it on gmpartsdirect.com

Attachments

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
why not just get the OE delco pads??
front's are msrp $98.94
rears's are msrp $139.00
are the EBC's really that much better at $20 or $30 less?

(also I couldn't find rear EBC pads)

also: the delco pads come with sensors (which cost extra unless you wanna clip the wires)
so if you get the pads aftermarket and then buy the sensors, you usually spend more
just fyi... i understand now you'll just need the sensors

edit: @mike.nite: 98 seville wear sensors for the front are GM#18026765 msrp $25.36 each (x2)
I think you've got the part number for the connector that the sensor plugs into

1 - 20 of 28 Posts