Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Seville SLS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced brake pads about 6 mos ago on the Seville. I could get the "change brake pads" message cleared after replacing pads and rotors front & rear. I am now getting the message again which is a faulty sensor.
A friend of mine who ASE Certified long time respected shop owner told me a could unplug the sensors which would make the lights go away. He stated this would take it out of the grounded condition. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I am not concerned with having the sensor disconnected as the system is a bit redundant. The pads still have warning indicators so there would be a mechanical wear indication system in place.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
did you get new sensors when you got new pads?
most aftermarket pad kits don't come with the sensors
the acdelco and OEM pads do come w/ new sensors

if you don't replace the sensors there's a good chance that the light will come back on (as it has with you)

you can bypass the system - and it is pretty easy - there are numerous threads already discussing it

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
the way i bypassed my rear break sensor is just twisting the two wires togethere where they would plug into the break or attach to the pads

front ones i have yet to wear down that far i usualy try to replace them before the sensore comes on

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,955 Posts
A friend of mine who ASE Certified long time respected shop owner told me a could unplug the sensors which would make the lights go away.
Unplugging them WILL NOT turn the light off. The two wires going into the sensor much be connected to close the circuit. THEN the light will go off.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,802 Posts
A friend of mine who ASE Certified long time respected shop owner told me a could unplug the sensors which would make the lights go away. He stated this would take it out of the grounded condition. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Unfortunately your ASE Tech is mistaken. The Cadillac brake pad wear sensors do not set a signal due to a grounded condition. Each of the 4 sensors is part of a continuous circuit which begins and ends at the PCM/brake module. IF a pad or pads wears to the point of replacement, the sensor also wears down and the circuit is opened, not grounded. The fix is to either replace the sensor with a new one or "fool" the circuit by completing it again - as in: twisting the pigtail wire ends together, soldering them, and insulating well. BUT you are now back to the conscientious car owner mode: YOU have to keep track of your pad wear, not a sensor.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
i learned something new hear today thanks to rippy's post that the OEM Acdelco pads come with the sensor and i was planing on spending 40 for rear pads and then another 25 or what ever for the sensore now ill just pay for the bads and get the sensor cheaper from rock auto

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
what about the acdelco loaded calipers i know i see them on rock auto 150 but then you get back like 50 for the core charge so its like 90 plus shipping i wonde if those come with the sensor also

i saw like 5 difrant acdelco break pads on rock auto for the seville im guessing 1 for front one for rear b ut i dont understand what the others where and only saw 2 of them that came with pictures and also said the sensore was included

there was also an aftermarket brand they have that comes with the sensor foget the name

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Pup... there's a thread started by skiller. i think... where we discussed the part numbers and the sensors... from last summer/fall ... should have all the info you need if you can find it

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
found one that he was asking about break pads rotors and ceramic pads nothing int there
then back in June looks like a long thread on the shimmy but cant find antying abou the break pads in there

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
yup... there was a thread a while ago where we nailed it down for sure that the acdelco pads for sevilles will come w/ the sensors
Not quite. ACDelco lists brake pads several ways. If you use the ACDelco part # for a PAD SET you will get pads, anti-rattle hardware, and high temp. grease.

If you use the ACDelco part # for a PAD KIT you will get the PAD SET plus the wear sensors.

And the ACDelco #'s changed several times for Sevilles between '98 & '04 models.

I found the ACDelco part # for the item I wanted here. . . . http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

then drilled down through the brakes pages at RockAuto to find their listing for that ACDelco brake part.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,955 Posts
:yeah:

When I did the front pads on my '02 SLS I ordered the pad "kit". It came with sensors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts