Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....... not too long ago, I got a chamois........ Hasnt been used yet, because I want to know what the best way to take care of it is...... My old one, which I use everytime the car gets washed, is already really hard....... It works good, but I dont think their supposed to get crusty like that...... I think that one is a synthetic one (its got little holes in it), and the new one im not sure of.. Its a CarBrite chamois.......

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
857 Posts
I think they are supposed to stay moist Wes. I have had one for a long time, and if I took it out now...it would not be hard & crusty..but kinda moist..not WET...but damp. That's just on mine...I keep it in the original plastic it came in with a lid! :D

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well....... Mine is crusty because I guess I let it dry...... I hang it over a rod when im done using it..... I guess thats bad.........

I just got the one Im using now from work (they dont use it so why cant I :D )

So is the thing your supposed to do leave them moist and then fold them up and put them like in a ziplock or something???

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
I would think that if you left it damp and sealed up, it would mildew.
I always let mine dry out and just re-wet it before I use it again.....then again, I wring mine out too.:eek: You're not supposed to do that either.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your not supposed to wring it out.....! What are you supposed to do...... Use it until it gets wet, and then buy a new one???? :)

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Wringing a genuine chamois can stretch it causing tears. They recommend that you just squeeze it to remove the excess water.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
857 Posts
Leaving it soaking wet...yea it will mildew! But if you wring it out..not kill the thing..just get the excess water out & put it back in it's package(see mines a cool plastic so I fold it up & put it back in there!) it should last for a while. Mine has for years! :D

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
I checked one maufacturer, they recommend wringing it gently and then hanging it over a rod to dry.
That's they way I've always done mine.
I haven't used mine in quite a while. My truck's lucky to get washed. Dry it?........I don't think so :rolleyes: :)
I'll see if I can find that info again and post it here.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?PRODID=14977&CATID=100768
Before Use: Wash the chamois thoroughly in lukewarm water with mild soap. After washing, rinse the chamois in clean water and wring out gently.
Proper Use: Your chamois should be used damp for drying and cleaning cars, boats, and windows. Use damp chamois to wipe the area you have already washed with a sponge. Repeat wringing and wiping until the entire area is dry. Chamois will absorb all moisture and any dirt not removed through washing.
Proper Care: After each use, wash your chamois with mild soap and water, leaving a little soap on the chamois. Wring the chamois out and pull to its original shape. Hang the chamois to dry away from direct sunlight and heat. If the chamois stiffens slightly after drying, it will soften immediately when re-wet. To soften chamois without re-wetting, grip opposite ends of the chamois and gently pull it back and forth over the edge of a table until desired softness is attained.
To preserve the life of your chamois, do not use it with strong chemicals, or to wipe up grease and oil. Chamois should not be used in place of a sponge for washing. For composition or Plexiglass, refer to manufacturers' specifications before using any material to clean or dry.
JerseyGirl.....I'm not saying that your method of keeping a chamois is wrong, I'm just stating what I have done and what one manufacturer suggests. ;)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe Tree uses a genuine chamois and we use a synthetic one........

I wring mine out by folding it a few times, and then wringing it out........ Seems to be effective.....

So I guess its normal for them to be stiff.......

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, on my new one, I accidentally threw away the wrapper, so is there any way to tell if its real or synthetic???

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
The "real" ones are thin leather.......sheepskin I believe. The others are a spongy fabric type stuff.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there any advantage to having a "real one" over a "fake one"

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used my synthetic one today while washing the Q, and even though it left some water (not perfectly dry), it certainly looks great...... Better so than with a towel..... I always get little swirl marks from towles...... :(

·
Registered
96 Concours, 90 Deville
112 Posts
elwesso said:
I used my synthetic one today while washing the Q, and even though it left some water (not perfectly dry), it certainly looks great...... Better so than with a towel..... I always get little swirl marks from towles...... :(
Wes, I use a shami(sp?) first and then follow it with a dry, soft cloth towel. The shami picks up most of the water and the towel absorbs the rest of the water so there are no water spots.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats what I used to do....... But all of my towels (like beach towels) left swirls..... Oh well, I guess it will motivate me to wax more often!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts