Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this website while researching blow-by issues. (potential)

It seems like an amazing product, but I am not naive to snake oil either.

I've researched blogs and ratings websites and cannot find a negative review, and found a few instances where people think it helped.

Does anyone have any REAL experience with this product?

Thank you

http://certechgels.com/

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
"Don’t Waste Thousands on Costly Engine Repairs – CerTech Gels Revive, Revitalize and Resurface Your Engine From the Inside Out!"

Come on, this stuff sounds just like Slick50, "bonds to metal surfaces". :bigroll: This stuff has snake oil and P.T. Barnum written all over it.
Just another magic potion repair-in-a-bottle.
Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,268 Posts
"Don’t Waste Thousands on Costly Engine Repairs – CerTech Gels Revive, Revitalize and Resurface Your Engine From the Inside Out!"

Come on, this stuff sounds just like Slick50, "bonds to metal surfaces". :bigroll: This stuff has snake oil and P.T. Barnum written all over it.
Just another magic potion repair-in-a-bottle.
Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
=================================:yeah:
as soon as they begin the nano-technology crap - it raises the BS flag - :bsflag:

just read the first couple paragraphs -
all I see is PROOF - using the trusty BUTT DYNO -

want more proof?
OK - if the word MIRACLE appears anywhere in the ad - it's BS -
or if the phrase UP TO - appears anywhere in the ad - it's BS -

I love this statement best of all -
But if your engine is not fried, warped or broken, CerTech Gels works every time.
so - if it ain't broken - this crap will fix it -
of course - if it ain't broke - you don't need ANYTHING to fix it -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Snake oil, pure and simple. Of course some people think the stuff helps - and they write about it to feel good after having been played for the sucker.

Regular normal underhood checks, maintenance, and oil/filter changes at recommended intervals are all that's needed to keep an automotive engine operating to its design capabilities.

Blowby ??? Didn't we go through the "Pull the PCV dirty air line, plug the PCV clean air intake fitting, hold your finger over the dirty air fitting and feel for increasing vacuum !" thing ??? Way up at WOT redline full engine loads ANY engine will have some blowby - that's one of the reasons PCV was developed to replace the road draft tube.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I'm one of the people who gets mocked for believing in some of these products. A lot of people on this board don't believe that any "fix in a bottle" is worth buying. I disagree, I believe some of them can have limited benefits.

I've never paid more than $12.99 for any "fix in a bottle." Because I do know they aren't real repairs, though I might trust them as a hold-over, a band-aid of sorts.

That being said, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I'm spending that kind of money on one of these products. Even though I'm more likely to try this type stuff than Submariner or Basscat, I have my limits, and my limit is the price of a large pizza. The whole idea behind a bottled repair is that it's cheap! I wouldn't touch this stuff. Crazy expensive.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
No one's mocking anyone - just passing down experiences from the school of hard knocks.

If it - any of it - worked anywhere near as well as advertised and independently tested, then the vehicle manufacturers would recommend it.

In my 60 years of pretty in-depth automotive engine and mechanical experience I have probably spent a small fortune on various snake oils and magic potions. I have, as I type, two quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil on the shelf. Warm and fuzzy. But at no time in that 60 years have I ever found a shred of evidence that the snake oils did anything positive.

A right fair percentage of snake oil makers have been sued in courts - by the FTC - and lost. Slick50, Andy Granatelli, and STP for starters ..............

Cams and lifters still wear out, bearings slowly lose their tolerances, piston rings crack and stick, carbon forms on pistons, blah, blah, blah. We continue to believe in miracles and the snake oil salesmen pocket the dough.

" ... and as we walk the Midway;
Here's the man who sells the potions,
Here's the man who makes us laugh.
Here's to the Doctor; he's a stand-up guy !!!

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Like I said earlier, let the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" be your guide and you'll never go wrong.
By the way, like Sub, I'm not just preaching. I've been suckered more than once. That's how we learn. You can learn from us, or learn on your own.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
In my 60 years of pretty in-depth automotive engine and mechanical experience I have probably spent a small fortune on various snake oils and magic potions. I have, as I type, two quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil on the shelf. Warm and fuzzy. But at no time in that 60 years have I ever found a shred of evidence that the snake oils did anything positive.
Ah yes, Similar to the Techron on the shelf! More money, no evidence, but Chevron and it's endorser (GM) profit!

:p

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Well considering top tier fuel/Techron is recommended by not only GM, but several other completely unaffiliated automotive manufacturers, and is the only additive endorsed/recommended by any automobile/engine manufacturer, it certainly has way more merit than any other.

It's also just a simple fuel system cleaner, not claiming to "resurface" an engine.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Well considering top tier fuel/Techron is recommended by not only GM, but several other completely unaffiliated automotive manufacturers, and is the only additive endorsed/recommended by any automobile/engine manufacturer, it certainly has way more merit than any other.
That is what we like to call politics. Don't be so gullible. Your post is unfortunate proof that it all works.

Many products are endorsed by manufacturers - fancy oils, for example. Mobil One is popular among domestic manufacturers. Shell elsewhere. There is no resulting merit - the only idea you can cling to is that 'it can't hurt'.

·
19,268 Posts
That is what we like to call politics. Don't be so gullible. Your post is unfortunate proof that it all works.

Many products are endorsed by manufacturers - fancy oils, for example. Mobil One is popular among domestic manufacturers. Shell elsewhere. There is no resulting merit - the only idea you can cling to is that 'it can't hurt'.

==========================
so - you don't see any difference between a fuel system cleaner -
and something that claims to rebuild an engine from the inside? -

very interesting -

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Well there's a difference between a manufacturer endorsing a brand of oil that will be pushed at every dealership service department and make. A profit, and the top tier fuel recommendation. There are no ads in a dealership for fuel. Dealerships don't sell fuel. I've never had a salesman or tech or service writer recommend top tier fuel (though they do recommend expensive fuel system cleaning procedures).

The only mention made by the manufacturers are in parts of the owners manuals that most owners will never look, hidden on their websites, and on the top tier fuel site.

On top of that, top tier fuels are sold by all different stations, not by one or two "brands". I highly doubt GM or any other manufacturer is affiliated with Jim Bob's fuel mart, making money off of the top tier fuel they happen to sell.

But the point of my other post was that the one and only additive endorsed by automobile manufacturers, claiming to do nothing more than clean the fuel system, has a lot more merit than a random one that came out of nowhere, claiming to do things that are very obviously physically impossible.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
All that said, there is very little difference between Techron and Lucas, yet one is recommended here while the other is abhorred. Both are nothing more than solvents (and rather similar in content).

I think that was Drew's point.

·
Registered
1973 Cadillac Hearse, 2002 Cadillac DHS
288 Posts
Rebuilding an engine from the inside out using nano technology. And according to their FAQ's, it's not just any run of the mill nano technology but nano technology that is so small it can pass right through the oil filter!

Now that REALLY blows my hair back :beavis:

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
==========================
so - you don't see any difference between a fuel system cleaner -
and something that claims to rebuild an engine from the inside? -
They are VASTLY different claims. For instance, I've had a car that was running rough, trying to stall, etc. I pour the dreaded, evil, money-wasting, you'd have to be an idiot to buy it, FUEL ADDITIVE into the tank. After a moment or two, my car runs better. It's not my imagination, the car is really running better. It's not trying to stall out, not running rough - friggin' smooth as silk now. There is a HUGE difference between that, and believing that you can pour some crap into your engine that will permanently repair it. The fact that you can't tell the difference between those two things concerns me greatly.

·
19,268 Posts
They are VASTLY different claims. For instance, I've had a car that was running rough, trying to stall, etc. I pour the dreaded, evil, money-wasting, you'd have to be an idiot to buy it, FUEL ADDITIVE into the tank. After a moment or two, my car runs better. It's not my imagination, the car is really running better. It's not trying to stall out, not running rough - friggin' smooth as silk now. There is a HUGE difference between that, and believing that you can pour some crap into your engine that will permanently repair it. The fact that you can't tell the difference between those two things concerns me greatly.
-------------------------------
my point exactly -
one product works as described -
and the other can't possibly work -

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,799 Posts
wish I had some popcorn. Heated threads about snake oil, motor oil, coolant, spark plugs and tires are always entertaining. Plus there's always the factor of "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up" :stirpot:

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
1969byrdman said:
wish I had some popcorn. Heated threads about snake oil, motor oil, coolant, spark plugs and tires are always entertaining. Plus there's always the factor of "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up" :stirpot:
Bwahahaha :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts