Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
CTS Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good brake pad for 2012 CTS Coupe AWD? HELP!!

Whats a good brake pad for 2012 CTS Coupe AWD? I dont want any squeezing noise and i want ones that will last with my rough driving

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
Re: Whats a good brake pad for 2012 CTS Coupe AWD? HELP!!

I put EBC red stuff on my '08 and love them. All the stopping power of the stock semi-metalic (maybe more), nearly no dust and no noise. Do you have the J55 brakes or the JE5 brakes?

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts

I have had good luck with Brake Best Ceramic from Oriley. Just be generous with the brake grease on the back and rim of each pad.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
+1 for EBC RedStuff.

FWIW, excessive brake grease will do nothing but collect dirt. It's only intended for where the pad contacts the caliper/caliper piston.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe '14
46 Posts

Just a question - how many miles you get out of the stock pads?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts

Just a question - how many miles you get out of the stock pads?
Depends on the type of driving you do. Highway vs stop and go. Quick acceleration and than heavy pedal pressure will also cause faster wear. Front pads will
wear faster than the rear.

·
Registered
2013 CTS Performance Coupe
15 Posts
I have a 2010 CTS Wagon AWD that I want to put ceramic brake pads on. When I looked on line the ceramic pads were recommended for use with aluminum calipers. Mine are cast iron. Is there a problem if I use them? I am trying to reduce/stop the brake dust.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
Re: ceramic brake pads

Welcome to CF !!! :highfive:

This forum is for meets, drive-ins and local club chatter. I'll move your thread to the proper CTS forum.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
Maybe for the Aluminum Calipers it is recommended to use Ceramic Pads. Shouldn't be a problem using them with Cast Iron Calipers.

·
Registered
2015 XTS Luxury Edition
115 Posts
Why do you want to use ceramic pads? From what I've read, the ceramic pads are not recommended, unless you're racing. The OEM pads seem to give the best performance. At least, that's what I've read.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,022 Posts
Thank you. Where should I look? Which forum?
Submariner409 already moved your thread to the appropriate forum, the 2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion forum. Note that there are also "Performance Mods" and "Appearance Mods" forums for your model in the same section of the forum.

I have a 2010 CTS Wagon AWD that I want to put ceramic brake pads on. When I looked on line the ceramic pads were recommended for use with aluminum calipers. Mine are cast iron. Is there a problem if I use them? I am trying to reduce/stop the brake dust.
The pad compound chosen has nothing to do with the material composition of the calipers; you can use whatever pads you want. My guess is that the listings you were looking at were the wrong part number, and were intended for the Brembo calipers (which are aluminum) on the CTS-V.

If you go to www.rockauto.com and select the proper year/model/engine, then look at the brake parts, you will find any number of options for ceramic pads for your car. Note that you'll need to know if you have the JE5 or J55 brakes, as they use different pad shapes.

Why do you want to use ceramic pads? From what I've read, the ceramic pads are not recommended, unless you're racing. The OEM pads seem to give the best performance. At least, that's what I've read.
I'm not sure where you read that, Bob, but it's pretty much completely backwards. Maybe you're confusing "ceramic pads" with "carbon ceramic brakes", which are a completely different animal? Anyway, ceramic pads are the typical non-performance, daily driver type pads that are probably on the majority of cars on the road today. According to ACDelco's parts listing, the OEM JE5 pads are ceramic. Ceramic pads are perfectly fine for daily driver use, and in fact would be pretty much worthless for racing, as they're not formulated to perform at the high temperatures that would be seen on track. More info here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sold on the expected performance of the ceramic pads. I am just confused as to why many parts suppliers are recommending using them with aluminum {on the front only} calipers. They all say the cast iron rears are fine. ??
My biggest reason is the dust from my current pads. A company, Kleen Wheels {I think they are no more.}, makes dust shields that fit inside the wheels. {I used them on my truck and like the lack of dust.} If I could get a response from them I wouldn't concern my self with a brake change, yet.
Thank you for your input (s).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked at Rock auto, Advanced auto, and Brakes are us. {I think that's all} I also am not sure of what "J" I have. I have 13" front rotors.
On a different note. How to put my car picture in my profile. I posted a picture, but can't put it in my profile.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,022 Posts
I looked at Rock auto, Advanced auto, and Brakes are us. {I think that's all}
I'm looking at rockauto.com, too, and there is no discussion of aluminum calipers for any of the pads they have listed, ceramic or otherwise. I just checked a couple on Advance Auto's site and didn't see anything there, either. Can you cut-and-paste the warning here - I'm curious to see what it says.

I also am not sure of what "J" I have. I have 13" front rotors.
That's why I posted a link that explains how to determine it. Click the link - JE5 or J55 brakes. There are no 13" front rotors - there are 315mm (12.4") or 345mm (13.6").

On a different note. How to put my car picture in my profile. I posted a picture, but can't put it in my profile.
Go to Settings in the top right corner. From the menu on the left side click Edit Avatar. As it says on that page, "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller)," so make sure the image you're trying to upload is the correct size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have J55 {Heavy duty} brakes. Thanks for telling me where to find the RPOs. It was tire rack that suggested the aluminum calipers for 2 different parts suppliers. {Akebono and Centric} The others didn't specify.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
I have J55 {Heavy duty} brakes. Thanks for telling me where to find the RPOs. It was tire rack that suggested the aluminum calipers for 2 different parts suppliers. {Akebono and Centric} The others didn't specify.
They do say that...for example:
"Front Fitment
Material: Ceramic
Note: Front brake pads. for models w/aluminum calipers "

etc., etc., etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts