Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas, I’ve lost my second hubcap after leaving a tire shop for the second time this year. I really need to figure out why it’s happening because I have very few options to be able to replace them after this.

Evidently in 2008 GM didn’t make these wheels for the CTS with a chrome finish. I guess the dealer had these custom dipped before putting it out for sale? Because I cannot find center caps from GM in chrome. As you can see from the pic below the logo isn’t even a match for the logo from 2008-2014. So no telling where they came from (it is a genuine Cadillac’s logo however) my grandmother purchased it brand new.

Is it very important that the notch (circled above) is lined up so it doesn’t come off? Or does that not make a difference?

This worries me because last time this happened I could only find this knock off replacement

Luckily I found a set with the correct authentic logo that will arrive tomorrow.

The scary part is I ordered one of the two sets anyone has left (at least after all of my research online). So if I lose another in the future I’m going to be SOL and I refuse to go the knockoff route again. I sure in hell am not gonna drive without one.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have a problem loosing their center caps?? Sorry for the long read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,751 Posts
"Very dated" ?????? It's a 2008 vehicle.

No one would go to the astronomical expense to clean, polish, triple-plate those wheels. They're probably a swap for another Cadillac line.

Look inside the wheel. The wheel ID, if GM, is cast into the rear of the spokes. Here's an example - a 2003 CTS wheel.

Center caps from www.ehubcap.com .....helps to know which year/model the wheels were possibly swapped from.

2008 CTS wheel choices in www.wheelcollision.com, 2019 catalog. Maybe stumble across the chromed version elsewhere in the listings for other models.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you lose another... I'd suggest new wheels. Chrome wheels with covered lugs are very dated.
Not really worried about the “dated” look. I’m ok with the car being as factory original as possible. It’s 11 years old with 30k miles on it. I like it for what it is.

Not really into the black or colored wheels “in” theme anyhow. Especially on a white car.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Very dated" ?????? It's a 2008 vehicle.

No one would go to the astronomical expanse to clean, polish, triple-plate those wheels. They're probably a swap for another Cadillac line.

Look inside the wheel. The wheel ID, if GM, is cast into the rear of the spokes. Here's an example - a 2003 CTS wheel.
Thank you! That’s a great idea. I had no idea.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,751 Posts
I edited my post - look again.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,240 Posts
I find it weird that they call this factory with the knockoff emblem.

I believe the underlying wheel is a factory wheel but this company has had them PVD finished...the company then has to come up with the center cap to match and does not have GM's permission to reproduce the factory Cadillac crest so they make the aftermarket one that keeps them from being sued by GM...

Good luck with your quest...many times the chrome option was something a dealership did or an area did when making their version of the car for sale...example a "california edition" etcetera ...

Bill

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,286 Posts
If you lose another... I'd suggest new wheels. Chrome wheels with covered lugs are very dated.
Whaddya mean, jayoldschool? Just because my 2005 F150 pickup truck has them don't mean squat, lol!

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
743 Posts
I know my SRX lug covers are designed to only snap on in one orientation. I've checked them several times after annual inspections or after having new tires installed, but the shops have them on correctly. If you don't get them lined up you can tell something isn't fitting quite right.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,286 Posts
I actually had my tire shop spin off the fake lug nut on my hubcap. They stuck it on with some simple glue. It fell off about a month later and after I figured out how it happened I knew I was screwed at that point.

·
Registered
2006 dts,past03whitediamondsevillests-someday will have another seville/eldorado
168 Posts
I love my all chrome on my dts. Much better than the painted spokes on the newer ones. Ever figure out why they're coming off? See escalades all the time missing them and looks like crap. I wouldn't want to drive without them either

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m not sure why they were coming off. My best guess is they didn’t line up the notch. For now on, when going to have any tire work done, I’m pulling them off before I go and will put them back on myself.

·
Registered
2006 dts,past03whitediamondsevillests-someday will have another seville/eldorado
168 Posts
Gotta be frustrating. They're probably just trying to go as fast as they can and get it outta the garage. At least you can do it and trust yourself.

Those wheels are awesome, makes that car look better than any other cts on the road.

I'm not a fan of the new cars. Xts is a impala- lines and all, just like a mks is a taurus. Only cadillac they've put out recently that I think would be keeping for "collector" "toy" car would be a v. Seen my dream car down in fl by the grandparents, think a 96 or 97? coach builders eldo, red on shale with 40k miles, they had it at 13k, thought it sold but it's back at 11. Too much for me unfortunately. Seen a white 2000 coupe with 4?k for 6 in georgia but noone to check it out for me

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gotta be frustrating. They're probably just trying to go as fast as they can and get it outta the garage. At least you can do it and trust yourself.

Those wheels are awesome, makes that car look better than any other cts on the road.
Thank you. Call me old school (37 ) but chrome never gets too old for me, unless there’s too much. I haven’t seen any others with chrome, all painted silver. I to remember the el dorados. Those were nice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts