Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
12,821 Posts
Well, add me to the list of victims.... '09 CTSV. Same issue as described above: center console dies when the car is turned off. It NEVER died when the car was running. Power was sometimes restored while driving or possibly the next time the key was turned off. Was dead for 3 days this last time before I broke down and took it in. Dealer replaced the center stack for a total of $545. On the way home I stopped for lunch and.. yep- died again. So now I'm rocking a loaner XTS while they figure out WTF is wrong.
Hello Umrswimr,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you, but I’m pleased to hear that you are working closely with your dealership. Please let me know if you would like me to reach out to the dealership on your behalf for further assistance. Be sure to update us when you get your vehicle back.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
CTS-V
420 Posts
Hello Umrswimr,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you, but I’m pleased to hear that you are working closely with your dealership. Please let me know if you would like me to reach out to the dealership on your behalf for further assistance. Be sure to update us when you get your vehicle back.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care
Thanks! So far Sewell Cadillac of Grapevine has been very friendly and I cannot complain about the service. Always a loaner car and the radio R&R came well under the $800 initially estimated.

Electrical gremlins are sometimes difficult to find which is why I had hoped the forum had some sage advice. I'm hoping the service tech has some cool troubleshooting manuals and can locate the issue.

12,821 Posts
Thanks! So far Sewell Cadillac of Grapevine has been very friendly and I cannot complain about the service. Always a loaner car and the radio R&R came well under the $800 initially estimated.

Electrical gremlins are sometimes difficult to find which is why I had hoped the forum had some sage advice. I'm hoping the service tech has some cool troubleshooting manuals and can locate the issue.
You’re welcome, Umrswimr! I am thrilled your dealership has been so helpful and accommodating throughout this process. I’m looking forward to hearing how they handle these “electrical gremlins.”

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
CTS-V
420 Posts
So the radio died again yesterday... This time the fix lasted a month, which means we're at least making progress. This last time they disconnected and cleaned the electrical connections at the fuse block, so that seems to be the real culprit. Word to the wise- replacing this center stack will NOT fix the issue. It seems to be related to an electrical issue elsewhere.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS4
1 Posts
I noticed your post back in 2009 concerning your 2008 CTS center console blacking out. I am too experiencing this problem. I have seen a number of people within this thread experiencing the same problems. What did your dealer do to resolve your problems?

Thanks

12,821 Posts
Hi dparker1958,

I’m sorry that you’re dealing with this center console loss of power and I apologize for any inconvenience it has caused. I can see that you are reaching out to the forum for advice currently, but have you ever spoken with your dealership about this issue? If you are considering that route, please feel free to PM me and I’d be happy to discuss this option further.

Enjoy your evening,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
Today for the first time I've run into this problem. Everything is fine on start up but after 7-10 minutes the whole center stack will lose power for a second or two than everything will be fine again. The problem will repeat every 3-5 minutes. I searched the thread but couldn't find if anyone came up with a definitive solution. Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6L V6
49 Posts
I had a similar problem but the center stack wouldn't power off, but there would be no control of any functions such as radio or climate control. Or sometimes if climate control was off it cut itself on automatically. All in all i had the center stack replaced twice and they were all refurbs which didn't fix the problem. I think the dealer got fed up and got their hands on a new center stack, and so far the problem has been resolved. It has been a full week without issue and it was occurring once a day before.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
Today for the first time I've run into this problem. Everything is fine on start up but after 7-10 minutes the whole center stack will lose power for a second or two than everything will be fine again. The problem will repeat every 3-5 minutes. I searched the thread but couldn't find if anyone came up with a definitive solution. Any help will be much appreciated.
It has been 8 days and the problem has not repeated. It happened only that one day. I have had other electrical gremlins that happened only once. Hopefully this will do the same.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
1 Posts
Hello,
Yesterday my key fob got locked in my car. I called a company to come unlock my car once they did I realized that my keyfob was completely dead. My Cadillac CTS 2008 wouldn't turn on it kept saying "key not detected" after trying several times it detected the key and it turned on but it displayed a message saying "theft mode" after that everything worked fine on the car but my centre console power is completely off including my screen ..

Any answers to this !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone,

2008 CTS with 24K miles on it, yes that is correct. Babied car always stored in garage. Last Monday, right before Christmas got into the car to run into town, and center console is all inop, the vent fans blowing etc. You all know the drill. Took the car to Ken Batchler Cadillac in San Antonio and they came back with radio control dead, R&R parts and labor at $785.

So I am not the only one, and by far, this is a pattern that needs to be addressed by GM. I contacted GM customer support and let them know my concerns. For a $40K car to have solid state electronics fail is ludicrous. I'm a 35 year aircraft electrician and mechanic. The LAST item I would expect to fail is the radio. So I have been assigned a GM Service Advisor who is going to research the issue in 72 hours and get back with me. Of course KBC has the part on order and with R&R it tomorrow so anything that GM does will be after the fact.

I know this is just venting, and I am sure the dealership will take great care of me, but this is WAY beyond a dealer to solve. This is a failed part that needs to be recalled but as it basically is not life threatening, I am sure it will not. So as with all things, buyer beware. There are NO cars or trucks out there that are worth what we pay for them, and even with great care and attention and dedication to maintaining a vehicle in great condition, thanks to shoddy engineering, systems that should never fail, do fail, and cause excessive problems for the consumer.

Shameful and bad business. Too bad, this was a very nice car. I can see me moving away from it soon to something else.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,109 Posts
I bought an '11 coupe that is very confused about what it is so I am making a Grand Prix out of it (had four, two with manual transmissions). Is going to be a great GT/road/personal car. I bought a service manual before the car and glad it has a timing chain instead of a belt like my last one.

First thing I look for when a console or whole dash goes dark is a bad ground. GM electronics are really very rugged. Do not like the 15.0-15.2v I am seeing and need to either reseat or replace or kabang the w/s washer fluid low sensor.

Unless there is a recall, I avoid dealers (and then decide if it is worth it) but am equipped to fix almost anything (prefer to farm out to local indies automagics and A/C).

ps many of the best cars I've had were panned by the critics (e.g. three Vega GTs and an Astre SW) but all have been "interesting" (and since 1978 all have had A/C, many have manual transmissions though one of the great advances since the mid-80s has been in automatic transmissions). Have would up reprogramming most to some extent (though keep one that has no electronics except the radio).For me a car has to provide transportation, be a hobby, and a lifestyle. Suspect an autobiography would be classed as fiction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry mistyped my car date, 2010 not 2008. And yes, I feel that this is shameful and bad business. Here is a car, that has a single point of failure that is faulty to say the least, and poorly engineered. AND my friend, it is not just my car. If it was just my car, I would say it was a one time incident that that is OK, but there is a pattern here showing that this part, on multiple cars, across all of the regions in the USA are failing, so what is the common root cause? The part of course, so this part is poorly engineered and causing thousands of owners a major concern. So yes, it is shameful and bad business. Do you think otherwise? Is it OK in your opinion to create a part that controls the entire cabin systems and that design does not stand up to normal use for the life of the car? Is it OK to cause your customers to pay to replace this defective part?

I respect your opinion but you say nothing to support your opinion just to poke at my discussion. That's ok, but do you have a car that has this part? You can expect it to fail and is that ok?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,437 Posts
Threads pertaining to Radio Control failure such as yours are few and far between. My radio is used about 99% of the time my car is on. I, too, have a 2010 with over 165,000 miles. I have no issues. As far as yours goes, stuff happens. I (personally) don't see this as pervasive across the GM or Cadillac or GenII CTS lines. If it were to go at this stage of life I would take it in stride doe to the age of my car. These things happen. Deal with it.

Reactions: Tbbt

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
Threads pertaining to Radio Control failure such as yours are few and far between. My radio is used about 99% of the time my car is on. I, too, have a 2010 with over 165,000 miles. I have no issues. As far as yours goes, stuff happens. I (personally) don't see this as pervasive across the GM or Cadillac or GenII CTS lines. If it were to go at this stage of life I would take it in stride doe to the age of my car. These things happen. Deal with it.
I can sympathize with the OP.

The pattern I see here is the circumstances tinman. The owners most upset and rightfully so in my opinion, are the ones with relatively very low mileage and apparently well maintained cars. When you add to that recipe the usual misconception that the price range for the car new, provokes an assumed above average reliability, when really all one is getting for the premium price is a name and more gadgets, this scenario often results. Recall two recent threads for example, the trashed torque converter and blown motor.

You would think expensive repairs would crop up in cars with the most use, but if you look through some of the recent threads, you'll find a number of low mileage vehicles in need of very expensive repairs. It's as if the cars have an unspoken expiration, or "best by" date and the more one tries to preserve the car with conservative use, the higher the cost per mile average, so you have to drive the heck out of it to keep your mileage in a range where you can say, "Yeah, it's about that time".

The balance here is taking advantage of good condition used OE parts, ~$1000 new silver box, or a ~$150 used unit, the install labor will be the same for either. You'll also note that those of us who tend not to get too up tight about the "surprises", are often capable of taking care of many of the "Taxes" that come along with the car ourselves.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,109 Posts
Must admit I am a bit concerned about the consistent 14.8-15.2vdc I am reading in the lighter socket. If a device is designed for 10-12vdc and it is consistently run 25% over that, I cannot predict how long it will last.

15v.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for your comment. I discussed my concerns with GM, and they in fact, confirmed this part was under review and they are taking care of customers on a "case by case" basis. This issue is prevalent across the product lines and age of vehicle.

I hope you have a very nice weekend and New Year.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,437 Posts
Thank you for your comment. I discussed my concerns with GM, and they in fact, confirmed this part was under review and they are taking care of customers on a "case by case" basis. This issue is prevalent across the product lines and age of vehicle.

I hope you have a very nice weekend and New Year.
I hope GM does step up and take care of your issue. I also believe most of us here would be surprised, but it's the new year with new hopes. Meanwhile my son's car is stillawaiting his Takata airbag replacement. Maybe if it gets cold enough this winter hell will freeze over. Hey, it worked for the Eagles!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts