Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 base ATS - Got gas on Nov. 3rd and went to start my car afterwards and it did a (I call it a sputter, it has done this on and off for about a year) sound when doing the push to start, took a few seconds of holding down and then the engine finally turned over. My entire center console lights were out and the lights on the steering wheel column that control the volume, cruise control, etc. My center column HVAC controls work - there is an amber light coming from where it WOULD indicate "auto AC" "sync" etc. but the lights with all the words and symbols are gone. No radio/media/Bluetooth response from those buttons or dials. My OnStar light also turned red. We checked all the fuses that are located by the steering column. None were blown

I don't know how to make my own post, but hoping someone sees this and has some information. Also - how do I disconnect the battery? I read in a few posts this has fixed it (temporarily, until it breaks again). The corner felt panel with the plastic prongs wouldn't release all the way. We were trying to get to the battery/wiring and seemed like I needed to remove the hard interior plastic panel that's against my bumper & needed a special tool.

Rant:
My car went out of warranty in 2018 (the 5 year bumper to bumper, and another went out in Sept of this year) i'm barely at 70k miles this month. I have another 22 months of payments and owe 8k. Had issues with my actuator blowing only on my feet earlier this year, my gear shift clip broke while I was getting gas (and had to have it towed) 2 months ago, and my windshield got a crack in it the day after my console went out. Owning a Cadillac out of warranty has been a nightmare that I can't wake up from. My friend with an Escalade had the dash go out too. She took it in 3+ times because they'd "fix" it- then it would glitch or go out again. They had no answer for her why it kept happening. This common issue is causing me to not take it in as I work 40 miles away from home and don't have time or money to have a 400 p/m vehicle in the shop for something they are incapable of fixing correctly. Cadillac service is so frustrating - No loaner vehicle if no warranty, they take 3-10 days to diagnose, etc.
Rant over.

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Luxury - ATS retired (torque coverter shudder)
760 Posts
Hi laurenf, I had a base 2013 ATS (non-CUE) until just recently. I also had all the console lighting go black. In my case the steering wheel lights stayed on 24-7 and would not go out no matter what I did. My console lighting failure was not accompanied by a stumble when starting the car.

Mine was also barely out of warranty at that point. I took it in and the dealership had to hook it up to their computer to download updates. It took 3 hours and was $200, they gave me a new XT5 for the day as a loaner. After the update the issue never reoccurred.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi laurenf, I had a base 2013 ATS (non-CUE) until just recently. I also had all the console lighting go black. In my case the steering wheel lights stayed on 24-7 and would not go out no matter what I did. My console lighting failure was not accompanied by a stumble when starting the car.

Mine was also barely out of warranty at that point. I took it in and the dealership had to hook it up to their computer to download updates. It took 3 hours and was $200, they gave me a new XT5 for the day as a loaner. After the update the issue never reoccurred.
Thank you, this is helpful. One step closer, I wish my place would attend to it in one day. I have a recall for power steering too, may see if I can get them to address the column at the same time and get a loaner.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Good luck, hopefully your issue is the same as mine was because, as repairs go, this one is fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck, hopefully your issue is the same as mine was because, as repairs go, this one is fairly inexpensive.
Well, we disconnected the battery last night (it was not easy getting to it to see where all the connections were!) but we disconnected one of the connections, I think the neutral/ground one and gave it a few minutes..then pushed my ignition button WITHOUT pushing on the brake to just turn on the battery operated functions and my dash and steering wheel column lit up like Christmas! I had difficulty locking and unlocking my car for the first ride in it since doing that (it was also 30-40 degrees here) and this morning my battery vvoltage was 15.3 while driving to work. Not sure what this may be now, but I am happy to have my controls and radio/Bluetooth back. Hope my battery doesn't self destruct.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Great! I tried the battery disconnect when my console went out but it didn't rectify my issue. Hope your all set!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts