Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer has replaced center cap twice on the same wheel, last one only made it 10 miles before it flew off. What are the doing wrong?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
364 Posts
you aren't doing anything wrong. you are just suffering thru one of the poorest designs in modern day wheels. the design sucks, the materials suck, the whole scenario is simply shoddy. right now i am trying an aftermarket set that look identical from the outside, but inside they do not have the metal tension rings. The just have plastic tabs that seem to be built a tad bit better. long term report forthcoming. had them for about 2 months now and bought them on ebay. set of 4 for 90 bucks........so far, none have flown off like a frisbee while driving. i still cannot believe these were 80k trucks new. i'd be so angry with myself if i'd bought my truck new. the quality, fit and workmanship is terrible. i love the looks and utilitarian capability, but i swear i am wrenching something one a month.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Escalade
41 Posts
Yeah after you install try and turn the cap with the palm of your hand... if it turns then it is not in right and will fly off. If it feels tight and doesn't turn easily it should stay in.

I can't believe how expensive they are to replace.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
hunterp27 said:
you aren't doing anything wrong. you are just suffering thru one of the poorest designs in modern day wheels. the design sucks, the materials suck, the whole scenario is simply shoddy. right now i am trying an aftermarket set that look identical from the outside, but inside they do not have the metal tension rings. The just have plastic tabs that seem to be built a tad bit better. long term report forthcoming. had them for about 2 months now and bought them on ebay. set of 4 for 90 bucks........so far, none have flown off like a frisbee while driving. i still cannot believe these were 80k trucks new. i'd be so angry with myself if i'd bought my truck new. the quality, fit and workmanship is terrible. i love the looks and utilitarian capability, but i swear i am wrenching something one a month.
I don't know how you guys manage to loose it? I had my original caps until 194934 miles on my escalade hybrid with 22's until I traded it for the new platinum.

·
Registered
2008 escalade esv
44 Posts
I've lost 2 in a years time on the same wheel. Just sucks! New ones are $29 on Ebay. Got one for $19. I have no idea why they won't stay on. Any suggestions besides the valve stem?

·
Registered
Escalade
62 Posts
Buy some little small rubber feet, the kind you put on electronic devices to keep the from moving around on flat surfaces. Place a few of these things between the metal ring and clip on the back side of the cap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Twice the have been installed by the dealer because the had the wheels off, now they want me to bring it back so they can inspect the wheel to see if anything is wrong. Dont know what they could be looking for, car was purchased as Certified with B2B warrenty about a month ago.

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
I had this problem on all 4 of the spoked wheels on my 09 but no problem at all with my platinum. They would also make a noise when rolling slow. I remedied the same way escalade kidd stated - Dab of silicone at the pry point and a second dab directly across 180 deg from it. Caps really were garbage. Needs a redesign for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts