Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while I was driving home from work the check engine light turned on and the I haven't notice any changes in the car. Should I keep drive it till next Tuesday which is my appointment with the dealer or what?
Anybody know the causes of this

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I think I have to have to wait a week for my dealer appointment and I need oil change and engine mount replacement

·
Registered
2014 XTS Premium; Previously 2013 ATS 3.6L Auto, 2013 ATS 2.0L Auto
347 Posts
AutoZone, etc, will read the code for you, no charge.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,043 Posts
Help help
I updated your thread title to something descriptive and thus actually useful. "Help help" doesn't tell forum members what the thread is about, thus people browsing the forum are going to be less likely to click the link and offer help.

Should I keep drive it till next Tuesday which is my appointment with the dealer or what?
As stated above, all of the major auto parts chains will read codes for free. There's no reason to wait a week to get the code(s) pulled.

Anybody know the causes of this[?]
There are hundreds and hundreds of possible causes. Nobody can give you an answer if you don't get the code(s) pulled.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I updated your thread title to something descriptive and thus actually useful. "Help help" doesn't tell forum members what the thread is about, thus people browsing the forum are going to be less likely to click the link and offer help.

As stated above, all of the major auto parts chains will read codes for free. There's no reason to wait a week to get the code(s) pulled.

There are hundreds and hundreds of possible causes. Nobody can give you an answer if you don't get the code(s) pulled.

Thanx a lot for changing the title , unfortunately we don't have any auto parts chains in Saudi arabia we have only one exclusive cadillac dealer and he got only three maintenance centrs in the whole country so I am forced to wait

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,402 Posts
So I think I have to have to wait a week for my dealer appointment and I need oil change and engine mount replacement
If my car was already scheduled to go in a week from now and I got a Check Engine Light but car seemed to run fine I would keep driving it and wait for the appointment.

I can't think of anything that would likely turn the light on, let it run normally, and cause damage during the week.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,043 Posts
Thanx a lot for changing the title , unfortunately we don't have any auto parts chains in Saudi arabia
Oh, whoops! I didn't even notice your location, that changes things a bit. I would agree with DavidATS in that case. You can also buy yourself an OBD2 code scanner for future use, so you can pull the code yourself and then Google it to see what it actually means. Pretty cheap peace of mind.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,665 Posts
+1 on the code reader, here in the states chain auto stores or OnStar can be used to read the codes but that isn't an option for you.

The steady glowing light is used to indicate a number of powertrain and support system DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) some of which do require rapid attention to avoid additional damage while others (most) are not a problem if addressed in a reasonable period of time. Any automotive shop with an OBD II reader can retrieve the code(s) for you, it doesn't have to be a Cadillac agency. You may have to use the internet to find what the code means however.

In any case do NOT reset or erase the code(s) before going to the dealer.

·
Registered
ATS, 2.0t - Performance
232 Posts
I've had CEL twice in a week. First was the grill shutters getting stuck - there was no change in drivability. Second required a new exhaust solenoid - this one affected boost. So...you never know. OP - You've checked the gas cap, right ?

·
Vendor
ATS 2.0T gone, 17 Charger Scat Pack current
1,179 Posts
Ideally if it were really a problem that could lead to damage it would force the motor into limp mode and wouldn't run well.

OP, we offer a nice little device called the inTune that can not only tune your 14 ATS for better power/throttle response/shifting, but also allows you to read/clear trouble codes on 1000's of different vehicles, which comes in handy in cases like this. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
A common cause is the gas cap not on tight ... if you've recently filled up, double check that.

Seems odd with today's electronics and screens in our cars that the computer couldn't just tell us what the damn problem is.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
A common cause is the gas cap not on tight ... if you've recently filled up, double check that.

Seems odd with today's electronics and screens in our cars that the computer couldn't just tell us what the damn problem is.
Agree completely. Screen to display all types of interior temperature, sound, navigation - yes. Advanced computer that is checking many different functions continuously - yes. Simple exterior reader available to take the codes and turn them into something that makes sense - yes. Continuing to turn all fault codes into a yellow light with some being serious issues and some being as simple as the gas cap not on tight? Always amazes me that my $35k-$50k car can check virtually every function on the car and know when there is something wrong, keeps a record of how often and what is showing a fault, but can't tell me anything about what the problem is. Not a GM issue but every car manufacturer issue.

As far as seriously damaging the car, besides overheating the engine, not enough oil or oil pressure, or possibly serious knock that damages pistons/valves, what other items can cause serious engine damage? Running too rich for too long can damage the cats, trying to think of other things.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,665 Posts
At least on the 2014 ATS there is a specific warning that pops up on the display to check gas cap. I got that on vacation last year. I believe in my case the system was fooled by a combination of a drastic altitude and temperature change in the mountains since it had been 2 days and a couple of hundred miles since I had last filled up. It hasn't shown up since.

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
As far as seriously damaging the car, besides overheating the engine, not enough oil or oil pressure, or possibly serious knock that damages pistons/valves, what other items can cause serious engine damage? Running too rich for too long can damage the cats, trying to think of other things.
Generally (but of course not always) the serious issues where you shouldn't drive your car are alerted by a flashing CEL instead of a constant-on CEL.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The gas cap symbol will only appear in the event that an EVAP system code is triggered. A loose cap will set a false code because no pressure builds up. The car thinks there's a leak.

As for displaying codes on the DIC, there was a hidden feature on Cadillacs from the mid 80's to the early/mid 2000's that would do just that. No definitions, but those are easy enough to Google now.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
Absolutely agree. They don't call them idiot lights for nothing!!! How tough would it be to incorporate the code number warning into either the dash or CUE? Could provide a code manual with your driver's manual in order to decipher.

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
Will not help the OP but I just call On Star for the code, then look it up on the net..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Generally (but of course not always) the serious issues where you shouldn't drive your car are alerted by a flashing CEL instead of a constant-on CEL.
I was trying to think of things that could be serious issues, the light blinking is just telling you there is something serious. Still really dumb that I have a screen in front of me yet the two main things that alert me to a car problem are lights and blinking lights.

Will not help the OP but I just call On Star for the code, then look it up on the net..
That's even more irritating. Your car knows what is wrong with it, can tell On Star what is wrong with it, and if you pay the money On Star will give you the code so you can go figure it out on the net. I would think On Star (and the money you pay them) could just give the subscriber details on what it might be. "Your O2 sensor is sending a fault". No liability, they aren't telling you anything more than what the fault code means, you could decide what to do with it.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
Yes. If you have OnStar, (especially if you are in your free first year) they can read your code and tell you what your OBD is telling you. I haven't had to use it on the Caddy, but on a Chevy, they reported exactly what was wrong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts