Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempted to use the CD player on my 2013 ATS for the first time and player accepted the CD but does not work nor will it eject. Any suggestions that I can try?

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,886 Posts
There are several options to try:

1. I don't know if the player has a force eject feature, but you could try turning the car on, then at the same time press the power and eject buttons, hold them for a least 10 seconds to see if the CD ejects, but if that does not work, try with the car turned off and do the same thing.

2. If the player has a catch release button, pressing it with something like a paper clip may release the CD so you can grab it.

3. A reboot of the car systems may help. Turn the car off, disconnect the neg cable, wait at least 10 minutes (some say an hour), reconnect the cable and then try to eject it (you may have to reset your window auto up/down after this).
Or you could just try pulling the fuse and waiting - check the fuse to make sure it is good, if not replacing it may solve the issue.

4. Insert a blank CD about an inch (maybe less) into the slot and press the jammed CD down a little and press eject, or press the stuck CD up a little and try eject again if the first one did not work.

OR you could just leave it in and play your music via USB.

Note: If the CD has a label on or is damaged could be two of a number of reasons it became jammed, or the unit has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Attempted to use the CD player on my 2013 ATS for the first time and player accepted the CD but does not work nor will it eject. Any suggestions that I can try?
There is a Bulletin for this.

Been discussed before in other threads.

2013 Cadillac ATS

If this concern is encountered, cycle the CD player/Media Disc Player fuse and re-evaluate the concern. If the concern is corrected and the Bluray/CD/DVD player returns to normal operation release the vehicle back to the customer.

Bulletin PIC6210

Pull fuse #14 in the drivers side fuse block.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 6-sp Premium
388 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my car, and have been trying to resolve it recently. I bought my 2013 used, and the first CD I put in gave an error message (it was not an original disc, but a copied one, which was probably dumb on my part, but I don't think that's the crux of the problem. More on that later...) When I went to eject the disc, it just said "ejecting disc" on the display, but nothing was happening.

I tried pretty much everything, especially pulling the fuse and trying all sorts of permutations upon replacement, but nothing helped. I even tried pulling the CD out with tweezers at one point, but it wouldn't budge (and I wasn't going to get too rough with it).

With all other options exhausted, I decided to just remove it and try to open it up. Having replaced the cabin filter, I knew that getting the CD player out would be pretty straightforward. It's just that one plastic screw used to slide the fixture out as you would for the filter, and then just one electrical connecter to get it free.

From there I took everything apart until I could see inside of, and reach inside, the CD player. Once there I managed to manually remove the disc, and then I hooked the player back up without fully reinstalling it into the case (so basically I can look into the CD player as it sits in the open glovebox. I was able to get a store bought original CD to play, but it also got stuck on "ejecting disc" when I tried to eject it. What's worse, it wouldn't even play again after that, unless I reset the fuse.

So all of that being said, I've come to the conclusion that there is a physical problem with the player. Once a disc is inside, it cannot physically release the disc again (it gets even more detailed, as there is a small switch inside that I can physically push to alternate between the open and locked positions, but the player doesn't do it by itself).

In the end I figured the choice was between having just one CD that would be in there forever, and probably not even work if I ever hit eject accidentally, or just leave it empty. I went for the latter. I still have the "ejecting disc" message when I cycle through my media options, but it's not a bother and I never see the message at any other time.

Abridged version: I had the same problem and mine was a hardware issue. Pulling fuse did nothing. Can either replace the player, try to find someone to fix it, or live with it.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium AWD
48 Posts
I had this happen too and unfortunately it's not an easily fixed item (at least in my case).

A couple years ago I had a CD stick and not eject. Since I like to work on old stereos and whatnot I decided to take the disc player apart and find out why the CD not eject. It was just a few screws to take the covers off once the unit is plugged from the car. Turns out there is a plastic screw mechanism in the disc loading assembly that stripped out and was pushing itself away from the gear it needed to drive for ejection. It was made of very thin and brittle plastic. I had to hold the stripped parts together with the drive plugged into the car in order to get the CD physically out of the player.

Unless someone can come up with a 3D printer model of this part and remake it, there isn't much to fix it. The whole disc drive needs to be replaced. You can buy a new disc player on any of the GM parts websites. Prices range from $200-$280.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac ATS
301 Posts
I was driving north on I-75 in Georgia back in the 80s, headed for Ohio. I had a cassette stick and wouldn't eject, so I had no choice but to listen to that same cassette all the way home or turn it off. It was an Alan Parsons album, and to this day I won't listen to it. I was ready for the looney bin when I got home!

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 6-sp Premium
388 Posts
...Turns out there is a plastic screw mechanism in the disc loading assembly that stripped out and was pushing itself away from the gear it needed to drive for ejection. It was made of very thin and brittle plastic. I had to hold the stripped parts together with the drive plugged into the car in order to get the CD physically out of the player.
Yes, it sounds like we went through the exact same process. I also singled out that plastic screw, although mine didn't seem totally stripped. I could push on it physically to make it engage, but I also found a small trigger lever that would slide the whole thing over to engage it. So it wasn't totally stripped, it just wouldn't engage and disengage on it's own, and I couldn't figure out what was supposed to activate that trigger lever (didn't seem like it had any type of motor or relay involved).

In the end, it's almost a blessing in disguise as all of my cars with CD or Cassette players have invariably ended up with a few plastic cases stashed here and there. I'd rather say clean and organized.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium AWD
48 Posts
You are right, poor word choice on my part. It wasn't totally stripped but acted like it since something was not engaging and not letting it eject until I held it with my finger. I forgot what the part looks like since I deleted the photos from my phone. Thank God for the USB port!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts