Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys im going to be installing a double din in my 96,i know the 96 and i think the 95 had a special wiring harness that goes to the trunk then back to the front but i cant find it no where, i went to local audio shops they was lost,so im pretty sure guys on here had the same problem and can guide me in the right direction thanks much

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 Sport Wagon Premium 3.6L | 94 Fleetwood Base (Gone)
317 Posts
sup guys im going to be installing a double din in my 96,i know the 96 and i think the 95 had a special wiring harness that goes to the trunk then back to the front but i cant find it no where, i went to local audio shops they was lost,so im pretty sure guys on here had the same problem and can guide me in the right direction thanks much
This is what I used..

http://www.carid.com/1996-cadillac-fleetwood-stereo-installation/metra-wiring-harness-4731758.html

I also have a 12" standard GM adapter harness I used in a 95 Trans Am, 94 Camaro, 97 Sunfire, and others, and when I tested a used DIN unit I used that and hooked it into the trunk of the Fleetwood - worked fine, only difference between the two is the length of the wires and antenna cable extension. Worst case, get a standard harness and extend the wires yourself, although you then have to additionally get the antenna cable extension also

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
All of the aftermarket listings for these things are WRONG. The '96 has a "normal", integrated amplifier in the head unit. '96 does not have the amp in the back and the associated wiring. And the aftermarket kits they sell are wrong, too - the radio mounts differently. I made a '93-95 faceplate work, but only after hacking it apart and just using the "ears" to mount the radio. I posted a thread on it here somewhere.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I couldn't find it either. I don't know what kit would ultimately work, but I do know that the ones that lump the 96 in with 93-95 are incorrect.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So all i need is that harness that poda posted the link on , i dont have to run nothing to the trunk then back up front to the unit

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
So all i need is that harness that poda posted the link on , i dont have to run nothing to the trunk then back up front to the unit
No, that was my point. It says '93-'96, but it's not correct for the '96. That harness runs from front to back - it's 204" long. You don't need that.

I tried a kit for a '96 Impala and it was wrong. I ultimately cut stock harness off the radio and soldered my own connections. It's not hard if you have the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 02 Escalade
63 Posts
I have a '94 so I can't speak from any personal experience about the harness but I believe everything Jimmy told you is true.

I don't know if you have removed the head unit yet to look but I would just like to mention that it's a very tight fit getting an aftermarket unit in there. You will probably need to cut the plastic backing which the original radio hangs on to, this will give you maybe 3/4" - 1" extra clearance - if I'm not mistaken. Only cut the lower part where the radio goes and leave the upper part where the AC unit sits. This is if you have to cut at all that is, the '96 might also be different from my '94 dash.

I have a Pioneer AppRadio 2 installed in mine and I think it's 6 - 6.5" deep, it was a super tight squeeze getting it in. I used the Metra 99-2003 installation kit which was very flimsy and one hole and dovel pin indent didn't line up to the bottom plate (reused from original radio mounting), but it was at least better than nothing.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i see now so i can use this and try to find it localy? i dont have the means to buy over the net Brand: Metra Part Number: 70-1856 UPC: 086429087167

----------

I have a '94 so I can't speak from any personal experience about the harness but I believe everything Jimmy told you is true.

I don't know if you have removed the head unit yet to look but I would just like to mention that it's a very tight fit getting an aftermarket unit in there. You will probably need to cut the plastic backing which the original radio hangs on to, this will give you maybe 3/4" - 1" extra clearance - if I'm not mistaken. Only cut the lower part where the radio goes and leave the upper part where the AC unit sits. This is if you have to cut at all that is, the '96 might also be different from my '94 dash.

I have a Pioneer AppRadio 2 installed in mine and I think it's 6 - 6.5" deep, it was a super tight squeeze getting it in. I used the Metra 99-2003 installation kit which was very flimsy and one hole and dovel pin indent didn't line up to the bottom plate (reused from original radio mounting), but it was at least better than nothing.
i havent took mine out yet but ive heard to you can cut the pastick part in the back to get more room so that a double din can sit in better/flush

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
ok i see now so i can use this and try to find it localy? i dont have the means to buy over the net Brand: Metra Part Number: 70-1856 UPC: 086429087167

I'm not sure if that will work or not. You're probably better off saving the $30 and just splicing in the harness that comes with your new radio. It's not that hard.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 02 Escalade
63 Posts
i havent took mine out yet but ive heard to you can cut the pastick part in the back to get more room so that a double din can sit in better/flush
Yes, that plastic part probably gotta go. It's just that even with it gone it can still be a bit tight, a deeper head unit wont fit properly. Considering the size of the dash one would believe space wouldn't be an issue in these cars.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 Sport Wagon Premium 3.6L | 94 Fleetwood Base (Gone)
317 Posts
In terms of mounting kits I fabbed my own for my single DIN Kenwood - piece of sheetmetal cut to width (from an old stereo CD player, IIRC), with ~1" lip folded at a 90 degree angle on the top and bottom. Drilled the holes for the mounting hardware off the old radio, and spray painted the whole thing flat black. Looks a lot better than the plastic mounting kits I've seen and looks like it belongs there. I'm about to pull it out this week to get behind there for something else - I can snap some pics if you want to get an idea..

Edit: oops - missed that you're installing a double din..

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL WISH I CAN FIND THE OLDER THREADS ON DOUBLE DINS,I SEEN THEM BUT NEVER PAID ATTENTION TO THEM:bonkers:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
LOL WISH I CAN FIND THE OLDER THREADS ON DOUBLE DINS,I SEEN THEM BUT NEVER PAID ATTENTION TO THEM:bonkers:
Yeah, I had posted step by step with pics. I'll have to look a little harder.

Even with the plastic hacked out, you only have like 6.75" tops. Look for something with that kind of depth. It's not easy.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Found the pics:

This is the '96 radio. It mounts like the later model cars - with "ears" on the sides. I haven't had my '94 radio out, but my understanding is that it mounts on the top and bottom? That's what the installation kit shows, anyway.

This is the plastic that gets cut out:

Plastic hacked out:

The only part of the kit I used was some bits of plastic to make "ears" on the new Pioneer head unit (AVH-3200DVD). It was tricky getting the depth right.

All done:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:thumbsup: GREAT VERY HELPFULL,SO THE BIG PLUG IS THE ONLY 1 THAT GETS USED,NOT THE SMALLER ONES THATS PICTURED ON THE BOTTOM SIDE

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
The big plug is the HVAC controls. The smaller ones are the radio. I made my own harness that plugs into those connectors by snipping the connector off of the stock radio.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts