Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 & 2007 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I broke down and traded my Buick for a '03 CTS. Some minor problems but they got corrected. However, when I tried to play the CD, I got a message "CD Mechnical Error" on the radio screen. The dealer I bought the car from won't touch it and I figured out why. I took it to an auto stereo store and they said the 6 CD changer was $500 (Canadian) plus labor. They suggested an aftermarket, but then I lose my DIC, which I want (and probably need). I haven't checked the Cad dealers locally, but I'm thinking 1500-2000 to replace OEM at least. I checked e-bay and didn't find anything, or on the Cadillac parts link on this forum. Forget the dealer I bought the car from-we've been there, done that. Anyway, that's the story and I would really appreciate any help. Thanks - BTY I am in Canada.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
some have said disconecting the battery for awhile can help. but it is most likely a cd has jumped track.
here;s the solution if that's the case.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-forum-2003-through-2007/140362-cds-jammed-player-dismantle-guide.html
to remove the head unit, pry with your fingers (not a screw driver) the vents above the head unit to remove it. then open your ashtray, remove the tray there is a hole there and i believe a torx screw, remove that( don't bother replacing it after) then pry with your fingers the face plate with the climate control and ashtray. put your car in 2nd to get it out of the way, then put it back in park. there are 4 10mm bolts holding the head unit, then it will slide out and you can disconect the wires.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
a new unit in Canadian dollar at the dealer is 899$ + tax including labor etc. Thats for a bose 6 cd changer. I asked mine when the cd chanager was stuck at inializing cd. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and since then, no more problem.

Question for those who puts aftermarket radio and lost the DIC.. what happened to those warning messages that sometimes warns you of something like check windshield washer fluid, service brake assist etc?

·
Registered
2003 & 2007 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I'll give them some thought and meanwhile wait and see if I get any more replies.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
Question for those who puts aftermarket radio and lost the DIC.. what happened to those warning messages that sometimes warns you of something like check windshield washer fluid, service brake assist etc?
I seriously doubt that you would find a person on here who went the easy route to install an aftermarket radio. Most of us who I have seen on here took apart their factory radio and modified it to take a double din head unit.

KOT

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
If you are in a fairly large size city (250,000+), you should find a shop that can fix it for $50. You might have to pull it out of dash. Many used car dealers can tell you where to go. (I have told them where they can go. LOL)

·
Registered
2003 & 2007 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good suggestions everyone. I will do what I can, and if that doesn't work at least I know what I will be faced with if I go to a shop. I hate going In "blind" or dumb cause you are at their mercy. Cheers

·
Registered
Cadillac
184 Posts
Mine is buggered as well. I tried the actions to remove the unit, but can't even remove the ashtrap. (Anyone know if the CD and Radio are the same unit, or two different units?)

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
Mine is buggered as well. I tried the actions to remove the unit, but can't even remove the ashtrap. (Anyone know if the CD and Radio are the same unit, or two different units?)
As far as being in the car. Yes it's one unit. the whole dashboard in the center are of three units. The top vent, which is about 4inches high, the radio with the cd player about 10inches high and the lower part, climate control and ash tray door. The ash tray itself should come out of the door. You are not taking the door off, just the little ash tray. There is a bolt behind that. After that is out you can take the climate control out and the vents above. Then you will see 4 more screws that are 10mm.

KOT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts