Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been having this problem for while and its annoying. I have a Cd changer in my ETC but when I bought it it didnt have the magazine(12 disk) so I bought one on ebay. I know we are suppose to use AC Delco but they gave me a poineer 12 disk and said that this works with my model. I thought they bs me so it worked for a while but if I try to switch to the next track or cd the output on the radio says Cd changer error. Sometimes it wants to participate about 20% of the time. So I dont know if its the magazine or the cd changer itself.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The CD changer is indeed Pioneer (deep underneath) so it should be compatible. Try to open the CD changer and make sure nothing is bent on the mechanics inside. Pay special attention to that stair looking like sliding plate in the back of the changer - tends to bend. I had one CD changer with this problem, fixed and works fine since one year ago (actually is sold but the buyer did not complained so far).
If you are fairly good fixing stuff is not o big endeavor.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
hey n*caddy can he put a cd player from 2000 and up sevilles and eldos hif he has bose already? i was telling him when we went to the junkyard (2000 sts had a cd player in it) would it be an even switch or is it more to it?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
For sure I will tell you tomorrow, that’s when I am going to the dealer to remove the VIN from the ’99 Eldorado (BOSE with in dash CD) I just mounted in my car. So far everything works (chimes, clock, reads the CD changer) but have no sound yet because of the THEFTLOCK issue.

So far...
And nope, that is not an ’98 and up Eldorado is a 97 STS.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
also n*caddy what led bulb did you use for the floor lights? i put led on my top light but i had to take the cover off because the led would bend that well with the cover on

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
also n*caddy what led bulb did you use for the floor lights? i put led on my top light but i had to take the cover off because the led would bend that well with the cover on
I fabricated each light bulb I replaced from 1 to 16 LED’s.
The ones on the ceiling and the ones in the instrument cluster are as seen in picture 1 (slightly different socket between the two - the one pictured is for IPC) and for the small door lights, steering wheel controls, INFO module (above radio) and some others I can remember now are as seen in picture 2. For the foot wheel I used fabricated the light bulbs using a PCB (cut in the exact size of the bulb) big enough to accommodate 16 - 4.8mm LEDs in two rows of 8.
Here are the EXACT LEDs I used, I like them a lot, very good luminosity and true 120 degrees viewing angle.
See my LED interior thread for details.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so if I change it to a cd player then the only problem I will have is the theft lock which a dealer will be able to handle? Cause it like you org. had a cassete and I take it you switch to one where a cd player would be in the front rather than dealing with that f****** changer in the trunk!!!

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
Ok so if I change it to a cd player then the only problem I will have is the theft lock which a dealer will be able to handle? Cause it like you org. had a cassete and I take it you switch to one where a cd player would be in the front rather than dealing with that f****** changer in the trunk!!!
yeah cash money thats what i wanted to do but i dont have bose i like the stock cd player look i had it in the sls its nice we need to go back to pick a part haha

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
burberrymoo,

Wait until tomorrow (in fact is already tomorrow – so wait until tonight) when I am done with the dealer and I will let you know the outcome. But if I am successful with my conversion one thing is to consider, ‘96 and ’97 Sevilles/Eldorados had one RIM, ’98 and up Eldorados switched to a different RIM (P#16246666) looking absolutely identical while the ’98 and up Seville switched to a yet another RIM also different in P# and look (but same connections). This coincided with the change of the HU (to the one with the in-dash CD) and Theftlock – common still between Seville and Eldorado (up to some point). Since the theftlock has nothing to do with the RIM (no VIN stored in RIM) and the harness between the two is the same (thus nothing to do with the addition of the in-dash CD nor with the speaker amplifiers also the same – in Eldorado because in Seville are changed), I would assume the difference is in firmware because the new HU has more controls over the sound. These being said my advice is wait to see what is my mood tonight and based on that decide on your HU upgrade. My advice would be to get the RIM from the same car along with the HU and ask about the return policy, you might not need-it, it might work with your original one.
DO NOT use Catera or Deville, Deville has 3 more speakers than our cars (thus different RIM although looks the same) while Catera has one single central amp after the RIM not the amp on the speaker setup on our cars. Also Cater kind of talk a different language (requires a Catera HU – absolutely identical on the outside with the one from Seville/Eldorado/Deville but inside is a different animal “sprachen” a different language).
In case you wonder what a RIM is, well is a sound processing module (volume, bass, treble, balance, fade, audio processing algorithms, mixer, etc.) The nomenclature of Radio Interface Module lost the accuracy after ’95, previously the actual radio was located in this RIM due to space issues in the HU. But starting with the ’96 redesign the radio was returned in the HU (who lost the CD) while the RIM morphed into a sound processing module (i.e. lost the radio part). So the correct nomenclature by extrapolation should be SPM but some how the old name stuck. The ‘96 and ’97 BOSE units traded the single in dash CD to the 12 Disk changer in the trunk (also available as an option in the base systems). In the ’98 redesign the CD moved bak in the HU but the RIM remained pretty much the same. Eldorado continued with the 12 Disk changer in the trunk (thus being capable to play 13 disks) while the Seville switched to the 6 disk changer (thus 7 with the in-dash one). Many peoples are referring to the RIM as an “amplifier” is absolutely incorrect, although the output signal is variable (volume controlled) and can be greater than the input, seen as part of the audio system, the RIM is not the amplifier, the amplifiers on the speakers are the work horses.
Here is how the RIM looks (mounts in the middle of the electronics bay, not on hard wood as pictured):

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
burberrymoo,
As promised I will come back to you after my TECHII experience. YES IT WORKS!
See my thread for more to read.
Just keep in mind, I also changed to the '98 and up RIM, can tell you if '96-'97 is compatible.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So Caddy let me get this right before I do any sort of spending!!! I will have to buy the cd Deck that matches around a 96'to 97' Eldorado and/or seville because of the RIM and the EU; they start to change in the 98's and up.(If possible can I also go with a 96') I have the Bose and a 12 disk changer already, the only thing I have to do is just put in the CD deck (meaning not go the trouble you did with the codes, etc.) and get on the road and go! Correct????

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
NOPE,

You have BOSE already so 3 months of wiring are NOT required, wire wise your car ('97 Eldorado) is ready.
All you need to do is find a BOSE '98 and up Eldorado (also Seville is the same up to sometimes ~2000), the one I have pictured and swap it with yours (witch is the '96-'97 BOSE with tape only). But because starting from '98 all HUs are THEFTLOCKED you will HAVE TO get it unlocked with a TECHII (no way around except if is brand new when you just plug it in and will work). As mentioned the P# of the RIM is also different starting with '98 (comparing with the one you have '96-'97 style). But I can not imagine what could be different between the two since all connections and functions are the same. As mentioned, my advice is to purchase the '98 and up RIM along with the HU and ask about the return policy (you might not need-it) or just buy the HU first but make sure you can go back and get the RIM too in case you need-it.

So in order to get in dash CD you HAVE TO get a '98 and newer HU, but all '98 and newer units are Theftlock equipped thus you have get it to a TECHII for VIN removal (unlocking). Also there are chances to require replacing the RIM with a '98 and newer (Eldorado ONLY).
There is no in-dash Deck between '96 and '97, ONLY '98 an newer (or '95 and older -but let's not get in there)

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since you already went to the dealer how much did it cost you to get them to use the TECHII and work out your RIM???

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Since you already went to the dealer how much did it cost you to get them to use the TECHII and work out your RIM???
The price was $45 plus taxes (i.e. $50.85), if you will be from here I would like to see your face because this is dirty, dirty cheap, about half of what you would expect (here in Canada). In states I would expect something like $20 to $40.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts