Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all:

This is my first post as I'm a new member to the forum and a new cadillac owner. I just bought a 2001 Seville STS with a little less than 34,000 miles on it. It is the nicest car I've ever owned.

This car has a bose sound system and a six cd changer in the center console. I own more than six compact disks that I'd like to have in the car. Does anybody know of a place (other than the Cadillac dealer) wherer I can get an additional magazine or two?

Also, this car has an analogue onstar system, and GM says that it cannot (or more properly will not) conver this vehicle to digital cell service. I know GM has bigger problems to deal with than analogue Onstar equipment. Is there an afermarket solution?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

Rick

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts
My 2002 barely made it past the cutoff equipment requirements for conversion, so 2001 is not "convertible". It's all wiring harness and module dependent. Yes, others have converted to various Bluetooth and radio options, but that's way out of my realm.........try searching around down in Technical Tips, Audio/Security and Electrical.

CD magazines.........eBay or junkyard or just maybe www.car-part.com.

Welcome Aboard !!!!!!! You're gonna love this collection of certifiable loonies in here...........

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
It is a fair amount of work but the non convertable ones can have a bluetooth mod done for them, there is a large right up in either the electrical or audio section. Some after market kits are available but I think you're looking at at least 100 bucks. Far as the magazines check your local scrap yard, those changers were used in lots of years so it shouldn't take too much effort to find a couple.

And welcome aboard and congrats on getting such a great, super low mileage car. Quick word of advice, if you can't find documentation of a coolant change in the last 18 months do it(change, not flush), 50/50 Distilled water and DexCool.

Love to see pics!

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Congrats on the low mile STS, I'm certain you will enjoy the car for many years.

What color is it? If it has the 17" wheel package, check your driver door sticker for the tire info to see if you're car has the speed limiter with H-rated (110 mph) tires or the rare W-rated tire option with the raised limiter (150 mph).

Like you, I have an '01 and the Onstar unfortunately cannot be upgraded to digital. Starting in '02 they changed the harness and those cars can be uprgraded.

Furthermore, you can usually find used CD magazines on E-bay for $20 or so.

Welcome to the board, it is so invaluable with the wealth of great info here on these complicated cars.

·
Registered
2001 STS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I had not considered a bluetooth retool for onstar. That would be sweet and better than onstar. I'l look into it. I'll also troll ebay for a magazine or two.

IowaSevilleSTS: what's with the coolant? Does it break down over time and cause overheating issues? The car was well cared for by its prior owner, but it did sit in a garage in California for five years before being sold to me and driven across the country. I'll ask them about coolant change. I'm also going to ask if they want the six disks they left in the magazine back. :) I know that the car was maintained by a Cadillac dealer in So. Cal. Would my local Caddy dealer be able to access those records?

I changed the tie rods in order to get the car to pass the Mass vehicle inspection, and changed the oil when the car told me it was running low (as opposed to broken down). I understand this engine burns oil. It was at 52% of oil life and about 4,000 miles with 3,500 of them interstate highway miles crossing the country from So Cal to Mass when the car said low oil level.

Centuar: The tires are brand new, but I'm not sure about the speed rating. I have not taken the car much above 90 mph, and then only to pass on the Mass Pike. I don't know how fast the car will go. Suppose I should find out. I'll look at the sticker first.

The car is white with a cream leather interior. Below please find a picture of the car along with the minivan this car replaces and my 1993 Chevy truck. Its not a great picuture. I'm sure I'll take more in the near future.

Rick

·
Registered
2001 STS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, guys.

My door jamb tire sticker says to use "H" rated tires, so I can only go twice the speed limit and not three times the speed limit.

I found the thread about the "BlueStar" Onstar to Bluetooth conversion kit. It looks like a good thing to do considering the Onstar equipment in my car is otherwise taking up space.

Thanks again.

Rick

·
Administrator
71,046 Posts
An H-rated STS has a speed limiter of 130 mph.

S = 112
H = 130
W/Z = 150+

The ratings are set to the recommended top speed of the tires supplied on the car as OEM order.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
An H-rated STS has a speed limiter of 130 mph.

S = 112
H = 130
W/Z = 150+

The ratings are set to the recommended top speed of the tires supplied on the car as OEM order.
H = 130 MPH, I stand corrected. Being a Canadian using metric all the time, I get mixed up on my numbers once in a while...LOL!

·
Registered
2001 STS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Below please find a photo of my new to me car.

I'm still taking a long hard look at BlueStar bluetooth Onstar conversion kit. Before I plunk down the money, I'm wondering if anybody on here knows where the onstar equipment is on a 2001 Seville STS. If its easy to get to, I'll do this in a NY minute.

Rick

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Great looking Pearl White car, looks very clean and has the 16" wheels which on 01-04 cars means that it would have the H rated tires and thus a 130 mph speed limiter. Regardless, a great find and I would highly advise against messing with the electronics whatsoever as these cars are so sensitive that any changes often open a big can of worms at some point. Being such a clean low miler, I wouldn't touch a thing...

My best advice is to keep it original, just drive and enjoy her as is. Ask me how I know? As you can see in my sig, among other cars, I've had several Sevilles and for example my '01 STS previously had a remote start installed, nothing but a headache that sadly, often makes me want to sell an otherwise perfect car! I won't even bother getting into some of my previous cars butchered electricals, LOL! I will never again buy a car that has had any modifications, especially a Caddy! Just my .02 cents...

·
Administrator
71,046 Posts
The OnStar module and antenna interface are on the electronics bay panel in front of the trunk carpeting which covers the back seat/trunk bulkhead.

You get to it all by lowering the whole plastic "electronics bay" into the trunk.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2002
8 Posts
CD cartridge will be hard to find in a salvage yard. I believe the part number is 25663747 should be around $28.00 through GM Parts Direct or Monster Parts online.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,053 Posts
I have the BlueStar in my 2000 STS. The install was easy and the unit works great.
My iPhone however has issues with it but will be corrected with the 3.0 upgrade due
from Apple soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts