Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wheels on my 02 STS appear to have a brushed surface on the recessed areas around the spokes. I made the mistake of using brake cleaner to remove road grime and soon found that the 'brushed looking' area is actually painted on. The brake cleaner removed the grime along with some of the paint. :thepan:

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,497 Posts
What???

Brake cleaner is to clean the rotors, not brake dust. Wow, dont spray that crap on anything that is painted or has some sort of coating, its made to clean raw metal only.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I know. What I didn't know was that the wheels were painted. I guess it is time for a new eyeglass prescription.:annoyed:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah! Unfortunatley it only removed some of the paint making it look uneven. You really have to get close to these wheels to notice. I am wondering if I should finish the job with some paint remover, they might look good with all the chrome exposed. They will certainly be easier to clean. :)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
You can surely finish the job if you so desire. Laquer (sp?) thinner would probably do the job.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that reference. My wheels are the other style, very similar but with the small center cap and exposed lug nuts, same paint though. I definitley like the all chrome exposed look as in those pics.

The engineers must have went with an artists rendition and copped out with a cheap paint job. But at least it is removable, if it were brushed or blasted as I thought they would be even harder to clean. Although then the brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner would have worked quite well.

Yeah, when time permits I am certainly going all chrome. I think it looks much better, and just from the standpoint of keeping them clean makes a lot more sense.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Boombottz, Thank you for posting this thread. I didn't listen to your warning though. My chrome was all faded brown because of brake dust. I sprayed brake clean on a rag, and it restored my rims. Thank you, I wouldn't have ever thought of it until this thread.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
Be aware the chrome under that paint isnt exactly finished. Its rough. Though you probably could not tell from a little ways away. But close up its not all that pretty.

MacK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts