Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you have bad catalytic converters and not throw a code. My car sure acts like the cats are clogged. It's like it's holding back and especially when the ac is on. It holds back then if a keep pushing it it breaks free like a beast and takes off, almost uncontrollably.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,341 Posts
Can you have bad catalytic converters and not throw a code. My car sure acts like the cats are clogged. It's like it's holding back and especially when the ac is on. It holds back then if a keep pushing it it breaks free like a beast and takes off, almost uncontrollably.
I thought it was just the v6 in the car or my throttle response was out of wack but it was in fact my catalytic converter that was clogged. I have yet to replace it and yes it does not throw a code.

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mullah88 said:
I thought it was just the v6 in the car or my throttle response was out of wack but it was in fact my catalytic converter that was clogged. I have yet to replace it and yes it does not throw a code.
So how did you find out it was the cats. And would the v6 cats work on a v8. I found some on eBay but says it's for the six, but they look exactly like my cats so I thought it was the same

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
The cats on the V8 are built into the exhaust manifolds so no, they won't work. Magnaflow makes them for quite a bit less than OEM.

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
curtc said:
The cats on the V8 are built into the exhaust manifolds so no, they won't work. Magnaflow makes them for quite a bit less than OEM.
Do they have cats where you don't have to replace the entire manifold. I don't want to buy another o2 sensor

----------

kiewee3 said:
Your cats are probably covered by the extended GM warranty. Look that up for sure!
Nope. 2007 is not covered and I looked up all my warranties a couple years ago and the only one that was in effect was one covering the paint.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
Do they have cats where you don't have to replace the entire manifold. I don't want to buy another o2 sensor
AFAIK, nope, the entire manifold has to be replaced.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*
125 Posts
Do you think the Dealer would run a warranty on my cats, even though the code isn't showing up? Infamous P0430 showed up just once and I know they're clogged.

·
Registered
2005 STS
193 Posts
my car is behaving same what you mention. Last year bank # 1 catalytic converter gone bad and i removed that.
now my car has only one catalytic converter and i don't have any idea that his behavior is because of CAT.
plz update condition of your car after replacing/removing the CAT.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
Factory emissions warranty is 8 years/80k - So if you're within that range they'd be replaced free of charge.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,341 Posts
will a catback system (i.e corsa) have the converters included?

·
Registered
2005 STS N*
125 Posts
I have a 2005 V8 and my vin # should fall within the range of the special GM warranty. Although, when I called my dealer they said it is not under the special warranty? Is there anything I can do as I only have 129,000 miles on my car.

I got it figured out, I had to provide them with the service bulletin in order for them to find it!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Know that I had a problem with my coils where the fuel was not being fully ignited, it was dumping a lot of raw gas into the cat. It was throwing a code for the cat but I discovered the other issues first. I corrected the other issues and my cat codes went away. Also know that codes may not indicate the actual problem.

I had my car serviced and they left the oil filler cap off. Within 2 miles after leaving it threw codes that said bank "1" and bank "2" were experiencing a lean condition (not the exact wording). I went back and they cleared the codes and again within 2 miles the codes came back. I went back again and they looked under the hood and found oil splashed all over and the filler cap on top of the site cover. They cleaned it up and put the cap on and all was well.

So just maybe it might be something else. I've now got over 165,000 miles on my clock and it's running strong! No new cats!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts