Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy is to access spark plugs for changing. Do you know what should be removed to access all the 6 spark plugs. Also how to find out which side has spark plugs 1, 3,and 5 and which side has the others. I will really appreciate some procedure as how to access all the 6 spark plugs for changing.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
Cadillac
146 Posts
1, 3, and 5 should be on the drivers side, 2, 4, and 6 should be on the passengers. And the only thing you will need to take out of your way should be the spark plug wires.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Catera
10 Posts
changing the spark plugs on the catera is a bit tricky. . It's not as easy as other vehicles. . Here is the procedure.

The spark plugs are under the intake manifold aka upper plenum ,in the center of the valve cover gaskets , on a 1997 Catera. Unplug the hoses and electrical wire clip/connections (you may want to mark the 4 hoses in the back for reattachment at removal), unbolt the intake manifold or aka upper plenum , you will then see the wires that go into the center of the valve covers , pull the plug boot and you can access the spark plugs.

usually boots and wires covered in oil recommend replacement of valve cover gaskets at the same time. If covered in oil replacement of spark plug wires is a must.

copied from

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_change_the_spark_plugs_on_a_97_cadillac_catera

I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green
698 Posts
To clear things up:
2,4,6 are driver's side; 1,3,5 passenger's
To make things easy, take the smaller breather hose from the driver's side intake duct. Then release 2 bolts from the plenum that hold the wiring harness housing. Get all that stuff out of the way. You may need to unplug the Idle Cntrol Valve. I always use some extensions and u-joints and the whole job doesn't take me but about 15 minutes. But then again, I have fitted everything under my hood to my specs ;) Also, remove the brake booster hose.

·
Registered
188 Posts
On the 97 replacing plugs is easy.
Passenger side, just pull the leads off and take out the plugs.
Drivers side, remove the 2 bolts that hold plastic rail that holds the wiring loom and vacuum lines. Swing all that towards the oil filler neck and you will have a straight shot to get to the plugs. Having a flexible extension helps with the rear plug but is not necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts