Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 catera
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am a new member. I worked for GM for 37 years, the last 25 in the vehicle dev group. I was fortunate enough to have worked on the 73 Eldo pace car, the 93 Allante pace car, and the 02-03 Seville LeMans pace cars. I was the lead development engineer on the Allante and the 98 Seville. I have a Catera with a 7L (427) C5R engine and a Camaro 6 spd that was built by John Lingenfelter Performance engineering. I purchased the car from an enthusiast friend of mine that had the car built. I have started an Album under Catera V. I look forward to an interesting time with all of you.-Fred

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
Wow, people on here always wondered if you could put a V8 in, and it is possible... just most of us dont have the money to do it! Thats amazing, how did they fit a 7+ litre V8 into the engine bay!? I know they can do 5.7's but wow. :bonkers:

As i see also, you have a nice history at GM / Cadillac... very cool and im honored to meet you.

Thankyou for joining Cadillac Forums!!! We have many SeVille and Allante members also that may benefit from your expertise!!

·
Registered
2001 catera
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 7L is LS1 based so it is the same size as the 5.7. It is still a very tight fit because the Catera/Omega is 2 inches narrower than the GTO/Holden even though they are based on the same platform. This is a very difficult conversion because of electrical interfaces that must be delt with. Fred

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
just a question from a indy 500 pace car buff : was the allante pace car officaly a 92 or 93 ? it has the N* but it paced in 92 so i was always wondering . i wish i was at the race for the eldo but im to young , even then it was a terrible race from what im told.

anyway , welcome and you got one very bad arse catera there

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
Catera V said:
The 7L is LS1 based so it is the same size as the 5.7. It is still a very tight fit because the Catera/Omega is 2 inches narrower than the GTO/Holden even though they are based on the same platform. This is a very difficult conversion because of electrical interfaces that must be delt with. Fred
Ahh yes that makes sense, i remember hearing about how they worked the engine in the C5 R now..

Have any performance spec's with the v8 in the catera? 0-60, etc...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Catera V said:
The northstar Allante came out in 92.5 but was released as a 93. The Catera V has 500 hp and 500-lb-ft. 0-60-4.3-4.5
Holy cow 500 HP, thats awesome. What size Wheels are tires do you have on it I've been looking for some 5 stars to put on mine. Awesome, awesome car man!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
What kind of Rear end did you put in it?
I doubt the stocker would last 10 mins with a C5R.

Got a buddy with one in a Camaro, and he's busted 2 moser 12 bolts.

That is one nice engine,

I'm going old school, looking for one I can build up.

·
Registered
2001 catera
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The rear end is a heavy duty unit from Holden, probably still marginal as it was used in a 350 hp LS1 powered car. The one in the GTO is not a bolt in because they use a different mounting scheme. I do not know if the guts will fit in a Catera Diff. The wheels are Steinmetz 17x8, tires are Conti Contac 235-45 -ZR17

·
Registered
2001 catera
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It was in the car when I got it. It depends how you plan to use the car, if drag racing I would say no. For normal but spirited driving (the way I use my car) it will probably hold up because the tires are the fuse if you keep the shock loads down. John broke the stock rearend in my car with a couple power shifts. I would say the axles would be suspect under abusive use also. Still stock in my car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
while V8 and 6-speed is successful... which 6-speed tranny can be mounted to the original 3000cc V6? i only know Opel/Vauxhall's 5-speed can do the trick, but if there's a 6-speed i'll be much happier...

·
Registered
2001 catera
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It was more complex than the current cts that lingenfelter is doing now which would make it very expensive. The previous owner did not disclose the cost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts