Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one here who has had a relatively trouble free Cat? I've owned 2 of these cars in the last 5 years and my most recent 98 has been near flawless. In the last 3 years I have changed my oil and done one tune up(just regular maintainance) and have had nothing but the joy and pleasure of driving this awesome car. After reading through the forum and talking with various mechanics about the car I have to say I am disappointed in Cadillac for pretty much writing these cars off resulting in a extreme lack of knowledge from their staff and ultimately discouraging people from purchasing these fine automobiles. Is it possible that I got the only Catera made on a Wednesday when all workers were in their prime? Come on guys give the Cat a break and show her some love. You may be surprised what you get in return. Btw someone posted a comment about talking with the right people and knowing where to look for parts. This is sooo true as the Caddy Dealership here in town wanted $2000 to do a $300 tuneup! Rule # 1, the last place to look for advice or buy parts is a Cadillac Dealership! Catera gets my vote over anything else in its class or price range, hands down ! Good luck to everyone out there in Caddy land.

·
Registered
97 Catera
31 Posts
CaddyMan98 you are not alone. I love my Caddy Cat. And mine's a 97 model...what people fail to realize is that its a CADILLAC! its not a chevy or a saturn or a dodge you cannot abuse this car and get away with it... Preventative Maintenance is very important and if people would just follow the recommended service intervals theyd have alot fewer issues with thier cars.

P.S. not changing your oil every 3000 miles is abusing it..yeah you could push it but its 15 bucks for an oil change..if you cant afford that then you dont need to be pimpin a Caddy.

·
Registered
Cadillac Catera
31 Posts
I have a 98 Cat as well, and have had 17k trouble free miles(around 67,500 miles on it). I change the oil every 3k and make sure that everything works fine. The Catera isnt some Honda Civic that you can beat the crap out of and it still last 300k miles. Its a Cadillac, higher class than the average car, but also requires more care. They are great cars if you treat them like so.

·
Registered
97 Catera
31 Posts
Other than TSB and recalls being corrected i had my first major problem with my Caddy Cat in 118k miles...my transmission went out today, im pretty sure its just the Front pump or seal for said pump but ill know more tomorrow when i tear into it : ) Seems i was Godsmacked for Braggin bout my Caddy roflmfao go figure

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well finally some good reports about the Cat. I was starting to get depressed jk. But for real, I totally agree with the whole maintainance thing and that owning a Caddy requires a little extra care. We generally baby our most prized items and would rarely talk them bad so lets keep the Catera alive by showing some love ! Oh btw asking advice is how most of us got where we are today so keep up the great work Caddy Forum!
Take care all you Cat Lovers...

·
Registered
97 Catera
31 Posts
you know z06bigbird its people like you that make me not want to bother helping...i dont know why with that attitude you havent killed yourself yet...i mean i can log in here and bash people all day long but its very counterproductive and all it does is make you feel better about yourself..hope its worth beating people down to make you feel like a man...your probably one of those people that thinks its cadillacs fault that you dont know shit about your car, hell i bet you dont even own a catera... nvr have....to everyone else id like to apologize for this dumbshit, cuz its plain to see he dont know jack.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Greetings from Buffalo, New York. My name is Elvin Rivera and I am the proud owner of a 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport. No Cadillac before the Catera ever handled like this. The resulting ride is closer to Corvette than Cadillac. I absolutely love this car. It's had a few issues that I've had to address like weeping valve covers and a leaking heater valve but I expected things like this with a used car. I wish there was a way to convert the cam belt to a chain but regardless, I accept this and her other quirks as part of owning the best handling car I've ever owned.

Handling is more important to me than top speed bragging rights. As big as this country is there are no autobahns on which to explore the far reaches of the speedometer. When the money appears I'll add lowering springs, premium sport dampers, and strut braces front and rear. I'll probably need upgraded control arm bushings and wheel alignment eccentric bolts too. I've got bigger GTO brake calipers to replace the stock ones. I'll also add dimpled & slotted discs with performance pads. Nothing really wrong with the Cat's brakes now but I'm a notorious late braker and would like more bite than the stockers afford. I briefly ran autocross years ago, before being a responsible father took precedence, and would like to feel that kind of performance again.

You can keep your BMWs, Benzs, and Audis. I prefer Opel's styling, especially over the origami look that Cadillac has embraced. I seriously dislike their creased and folded sheetmetal. All those flat panels turn me off. The Catera's rounder, smoother sheetmetal is more pleasing to my eye. I added a personal touch to my Cat with new 17 inch wheels to carry my snow tires. The spokes are thinner than the Sport's stock "chunky" ones. I'd like to add a few body pieces like a Steinmetz front spoiler, side skirts, and a black mesh grille to make her stand out. I don't want to go over the top, just some subtle updates. Those kits are hard to come by over here as the Catera was never a big seller. There's little aftermarket suport for her here so I'll have to order from the UK or Germany for what I want.

I generally like the 3.0L engine. I've owned motorcycles for almost thirty years (I currently ride a Kawasaki Concours) so I'm used to high reving engines, and boy does this engine like to spin. Sounds like a racecar. I do wish it didn't seem so delicate.

Like I said I love the car, but would love her even more had Opel performed an engine swap. Cadillac uses the 3.2L in the CTS so they are available but if they're not an improvement why bother swapping. I'm told the 3.6L won't fit the Catera. While I'm not really looking for more power, the LS1 5.7L V8 would've been nice. Power plus reliability. I could show the Beemers my ass with that under the hood. The Aussies put the LS1 in their Commodores. I wish Opel had done the same.

·
Registered
2001 Catera
49 Posts
I've also been very pleaseed with my 2001....bought new, 44,000 miles on it. Under warranty, I did have some issues...but since then,it's needed nothing....I am always amazed how negative almost all reports seem to be on this car....I still love driving mine,though......I'm completely satisfied!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts