Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a 2000 Cadillac Catera , but it has the stock hella halogen headlights. I know there was an option to get xenon on the car, and I was wondering if there are any places that sell OEM's or have them off a junker etc... this ofcourse would be complete with the transformers needed to run the things. ANY ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :yup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wasn't aware you could get HID on a Catera. But anyway, I have a 2002 STS that came with halogen, but HID was a factory option on that car. I found the parts used to convert mine on E-Bay. It took several months to find everything as there aren't that many on there and they get snatched up fast. That's the only advice I can offer you. But whatever you do, don't buy an aftermarket HID conversion kit. I found out the hard way that it's a bad idea. Good luck.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Wow, me is surprised. Im aware of just about every HID optioned vehicle that hits our shores or is built here but ive NEVER seen a Catera with HIDs, thats pretty cool though. Then again it could be because well... im seeing less and less Cateras as it is. Although a couple Ive seen do have some cool LED turn signals... but eh.. I digress, definitely go Ebay for headlights!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was aware of those ideas... i just wanted not to tear in my headlights and end up having them un-useable ... etc etc...

Plus, parts for this car are so rare , even for ebay!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2000 catera has HIDs. I very rarely see my exact model of catera. Its the sport package that has the HIDs, spoiler, sport rims and suspension, and the interior is different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
agsmooth said:
My 2000 catera has HIDs. I very rarely see my exact model of catera. Its the sport package that has the HIDs, spoiler, sport rims and suspension, and the interior is different.
yeah not too popular around here either

·
Registered
79 Posts
ScottM6193 said:
I wasn't aware you could get HID on a Catera. But anyway, I have a 2002 STS that came with halogen, but HID was a factory option on that car. I found the parts used to convert mine on E-Bay. It took several months to find everything as there aren't that many on there and they get snatched up fast. That's the only advice I can offer you. But whatever you do, don't buy an aftermarket HID conversion kit. I found out the hard way that it's a bad idea. Good luck.
Do you know if you can do just the opposite? I have a 2001 STS with HID and I'm wondering if the "regular" bulbs would fit into my existing housing. I understand that I would have to rewire it but... I need a new ballast. PRICEY!! She is out of warranty by miles and I'm the second owner. I know better, as a former Cadillac service employee, to by a Certified Caddy but the deal was sooooo good. Any help would be great. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Cadillaction said:
Do you know if you can do just the opposite? I have a 2001 STS with HID and I'm wondering if the "regular" bulbs would fit into my existing housing. I understand that I would have to rewire it but... I need a new ballast. PRICEY!! She is out of warranty by miles and I'm the second owner. I know better, as a former Cadillac service employee, to by a Certified Caddy but the deal was sooooo good. Any help would be great. Thanks, Dave
In your case youd be better off to purchase the stock Halogen housings and bulbs from Ebay. Im sure you could get Halogen bulbs to stay in there somehow, but eh... just not worth it unless you do it right. I would imagine you could probably pick up both sides WITH bulbs for less than 200.00 on a good day. For the love of all that is Holy DO NOT just do one side, sooo many Lincoln Mark VIII owners do this (but their setups are REEEAAALLLY expensive to replace) and it looks G-H-E-T-T-O. Just find the ballast at a junkyard or ebay man, dont lose your HID lights, too many people wish they had them and would cringe to hear someone took them out purposely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a question that i need help on! I have a 98 catera and i want to know if the 2000-01 headlight unit would fit in my housing....b/c i want the projection headlights... ps. i have the hid conversion kit on m,y 97 and it looks great... and what r the led turning signal that was mention earlier in here

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It uses H7 for regular halogen, that is all i know... not sure for HID which is one of the problems i have with trying to find any info about what parts are. I just emailed a company about it and ill tell you guys the results.

Raheinm, on the 2000 up, the catera has re-designed tail lights that use LED's for turn signals (and stop lights?). As for the new designs headlights working, its hard to tell how much they changed the front design of the catera.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How do you know if you have the HID or regular headlights? Mine look to be the HID's to me, but what is the distinguishing factor to seperate the two?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They look like they have "eyes"... almost like the projectors on BMW's, cept they are internal and set back farther. You should notice if the light is a different colour and is brighter than most cars on the road lol.

Here are two samples, one HID and the other isnt.. you should be able to tell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks JefferyG for the examples. Does anyone know if there is a certain code anywhere on the vehicle to tell whether they are HID or not? I'm having a hard time telling whether or not mine are, they are projector beams but I can't tell the difference even with the pics.

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
37 Posts
Well the HID lights only came on the 2000-2001 Catera Sports. So if you have the sport then you have HIDs. I have the sport and the Xenon lights are very distinguishable.

Also the rear lights are LED and I like them, they look so cool, It also helps with brake warning as the LED lights appear faster than conventional bulbs. I forget the number but I think on the highway its something like 17 meters of extra warning time for the driver behind you. The turning signals in the rear are also orange LED.

Also with my Xenon headlights, i keep getting flashed although they are not on highbeams, someone told me I have to get them realigned.

The car is a 2001 and has 17 000 miles on it, is it possible they have to be aligned already and if so how would I do that?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What color of light do they put out? if its not the classic purplish-blue that some Xenons put out, people will usually think its highbeams.

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
37 Posts
its kinda bluish, but when you drive down the street in the city i live in, you can definately tell they are Xenons cus with all the other vehicles around they look yellow and I would say that in my town only 2 percent of the cars have Xenons so it is easily distinguishable.

I know this cus im so obsessed with my car i got my dad to drive it will i followed him around so I could see what it looks like on the road! (from all angles)

Yeah the lights are definately that classic xenon color but i think in my area ppl are not use to them and they think since they are brighter than the average car that the highbeams must be on.

Dave,:lildevil:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also if you pull up to a garage or something at night and make sure your lights haven't been on for an hour or so turn them on and they should kind of flash dim and then get real bright because the have to warm up. My 2000 Catera Sport has them,:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts