Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just developed a rattle at idle which increases in frequency as the rpm's increase.

It sounds virtually identical to what occured on my Quad-4 Malibu which turned out to be the timing chain tensioner.

Is this a common problem on Catera's and does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Cateras don't have a chain for timing, they do have timing belt thus they don't do mechanical noise.

Does the check engine light on?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
omermurat said:
Does the check engine light on?
Yup it turned on about 2 day before the noise started.

What is stange is that today the noise was gone.

Any idead as to what it could be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 97 catera had some really bad sounds at startup one day. I turned it off and called the tow truck - took it to Cad dealer and they said the tensioner was bad but that it was a recall item - they replaced it free along with a belt and a few other things. Who knows, maybe check for any recalls on yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
catera bob said:
My 97 catera had some really bad sounds at startup one day. I turned it off and called the tow truck - took it to Cad dealer and they said the tensioner was bad but that it was a recall item - they replaced it free along with a belt and a few other things. Who knows, maybe check for any recalls on yours.
I just called my local cad dealer they say no recalls I also have a 97 Catera new noise coming from timing belt area. How did you find out about recall any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the tensioners are a good place to start. had 97 catara tensioner was knocking. bought car cheap previous owner thought it was a rod. start with that tensioner bracket and powersteering pump pully must be removed in order to remove inspection cover off front of motor for more info. [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts