Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently got my Mace Catch Can from Australia. And none of the supplied brackets seem to work where I wanna mount it. So I'm looking for some advice and hopefully a picture of one that works incase I need to fabricate one. Am I correct in assuming it should be mounted in the dead space by the radiator and fuse box and above the ABS unit, and the lines should run from the PCV valve nipple to the can and back to the original line where it used to be connected to the nipple? And is there a reason it shouldn't be mounted near the air box and connected inline to the air intake tube instead?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >128k miles
448 Posts
I mounted mine on the inside of the front bumper (remove the grille insert to access). Easy to reach from the latch area when you need to dump it.

Based on your last question I assume you are referring to the clean side of the pcv (?) My understanding is that the dirty side is a better choice (passenger side, the nipple is at the back of the valve cover).the tube leads to both sides of the intake plenum. I just cut the tube above the nipple and spliced my hoses there.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thank you Ryan. So do you mean you mounted it between the radiator and the belts essentially under the location of the throttle body/intake tube connection? (Circled in red)
Screenshot_20191105-185828_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >128k miles
448 Posts
No. It is in front of the radiator on the back side of the bumper. I can remove the can by reaching past the hood latch when necessary. I dont remember what brand mine is but it was among the lower priced options at the time.

This pic was taken from the drivers side, looking into the gap between the radiator and bumper. The can is somewhat visible in the center of the pic.

This pic shows the two hoses routed along the fender well to the pcv fitting/tube at the rear of the valve cover. I used 3/8" ID high pressure fuel line (O'Reilly Auto)

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, I'm an old dude, been working on my own stuff for decades. I have been hearing a lot lately about "Catch Can's",
What is thier purpose?
Why didn't the manufacturer implement one to begin with?
What changes did you make to your vehicle that made this "Catch Can" a necessity ?

My immediate impression is that it is entirely unecessary and amounts to nothing more than ridiculous Riceboy foolishness, but I could be wrong and would like to know more about it before I write it off as idiotic.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >128k miles
448 Posts
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a27182434/how-oil-catch-can-works/

Personally, I did not plan to install a catch can when I bought the car. However, when I removed my intake during the timing chain job I noticed considerable buildup and decided to install one. I then installed one and am happy with the results. I usually have about 1/2" of oil in the bottom every 1000 miles with city driving. More if all 1000 miles are spent on freeways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a27182434/how-oil-catch-can-works/

Personally, I did not plan to install a catch can when I bought the car. However, when I removed my intake during the timing chain job I noticed considerable buildup and decided to install one. I then installed one and am happy with the results. I usually have about 1/2" of oil in the bottom every 1000 miles with city driving. More if all 1000 miles are spent on freeways.
OK, what got from the website you posted, is that it is a band-aid to cover up a bigger problem of a worn out engine? As this large amount of oil getting into your cranckcase vent tube is due to excessive blowby from bad piston rings. And the buildup of oil inside the intake does what? Restricts airflow? Not Likely !!
I just can't see the major benefit of a catch can. Why not just periodically spray some cleaner down the throttle body to wash any residue into the cylinder for burning ? It seems like a lot of hassle and expense for NOT much benefit.

BUT, if you insist on using one, I guess the hard part is placing it somewhere you can get at it for emptying the oil out every couple thousand miles. If it were me, I think I'd mount it LOW where I could get at the bottom of the can from under the car. But first I'd drill a hole into the bottom of the can and install a drain plug kit. That way every oil change while I was already under the car with a drainpan, I could just spin off the drain bolt on the bottom of the catch and have both done at the same time.
Just a suggestion, because this way you can mount it in a more out of the way place and you won't have to get at it from the top and then hoses might even need to be a lot shorter and less in the way. Of course I haven't gone out to look into the engine bay of my CTS to hunt for a good spot for one, but you never know, it might be possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, what got from the website you posted, is that it is a band-aid to cover up a bigger problem of a worn out engine? As this large amount of oil getting into your cranckcase vent tube is due to excessive blowby from bad piston rings. And the buildup of oil inside the intake does what? Restricts airflow? Not Likely !!
I just can't see the major benefit of a catch can. Why not just periodically spray some cleaner down the throttle body to wash any residue into the cylinder for burning ? It seems like a lot of hassle and expense for NOT much benefit.

BUT, if you insist on using one, I guess the hard part is placing it somewhere you can get at it for emptying the oil out every couple thousand miles. If it were me, I think I'd mount it LOW where I could get at the bottom of the can from under the car. But first I'd drill a hole into the bottom of the can and install a drain plug kit. That way every oil change while I was already under the car with a drainpan, I could just spin off the drain bolt on the bottom of the catch and have both done at the same time.
Just a suggestion, because this way you can mount it in a more out of the way place and you won't have to get at it from the top and then hoses might even need to be a lot shorter and less in the way. Of course I haven't gone out to look into the engine bay of my CTS to hunt for a good spot for one, but you never know, it might be possible.
I am also under the impression that a lot smaller diameter hose would suffice to carry away this Oil Mist?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >128k miles
448 Posts
My understanding is that the GM 3.6 (and likely many other engines, too) sucked oil through the PCV from the moment they left the dealership - perhaps others can correct me if this is not accurate. Fortunately the Gen 1 CTS does not have a DI engine, which has bigger problems with buildup on the intake valves than non-DI. Nevertheless, I chose to install a can on mine because of the amount of buildup I saw when I had the intake plenum off during the timing chain job. I spent over an hour cleaning that crap off with acetone and a brush! But you are correct that it may be easier to just remove the intake and clean it every few years than to use a can. I'm not sure whether either of these 'clean intake' methods really makes the car run better, but if I can avoid cleaning stuff in the future I am willing to try it!

You are also correct that shorter hoses and/or smaller diameter would probably suffice. However the PCV tubing is 3/8 OD so it makes sense to go with a 3/8 ID hose that fits over it. I chose to install behind the front bumper to avoid having it block access to various other components, but others have installed elsewhere.

Overall, whether the catch can is worth the hassle of installation or provides any improved performance on Gen 1 CTS is debatable. If it's not worth the hassle to you, I doubt your engine will start acting up because you didnt install one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My understanding is that the GM 3.6 (and likely many other engines, too) sucked oil through the PCV from the moment they left the dealership - perhaps others can correct me if this is not accurate. Fortunately the Gen 1 CTS does not have a DI engine, which has bigger problems with buildup on the intake valves than non-DI. Nevertheless, I chose to install a can on mine because of the amount of buildup I saw when I had the intake plenum off during the timing chain job. I spent over an hour cleaning that crap off with acetone and a brush! But you are correct that it may be easier to just remove the intake and clean it every few years than to use a can. I'm not sure whether either of these 'clean intake' methods really makes the car run better, but if I can avoid cleaning stuff in the future I am willing to try it!

You are also correct that shorter hoses and/or smaller diameter would probably suffice. However the PCV tubing is 3/8 OD so it makes sense to go with a 3/8 ID hose that fits over it. I chose to install behind the front bumper to avoid having it block access to various other components, but others have installed elsewhere.

Overall, whether the catch can is worth the hassle of installation or provides any improved performance on Gen 1 CTS is debatable. If it's not worth the hassle to you, I doubt your engine will start acting up because you didnt install one.
Yeah, the benefits are subjective as to whether it helps anything, but I wasn't talking about removing the plenum periodically, that would be a pain. I just meant spraying some kind of throttle body spray down it to wash away any oil. I mean once you got iy all cleaned up, it would only be a little bit of oil residue after that and a periodic spraying down the throttle body just might be enough to rinse that little bit away.
I was more curious about what you thought of the idea to put a drain plug into the bottom of the can lol, to drain it at oil change time rather than have to remove it to drain it. I thought that might be more convenient and maybe less hastle and you would be sure to remember emptying it at oil change time since the pan is already under there. Just a thought. But then it would need to be mounted low enough and not have anything below it so the oil wouldn't get on other things as it drains.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >128k miles
448 Posts
A drain plug would be useful if you have space for it. Perhaps a drain with a barb and connected to a hose??? This way you could route the hose to the bottom of the car when you drain it.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah.. so mine came with a drain plug on the bottom. And I think it's a great idea having it there for options on how you might wanna evacuate it. But I'm still most likely gonna unscrew the whole can because I wanna see what's collecting in there. And because mines now mounted in a place where it's very easy to do it that way. It also makes it a bit cleaner of an evac IMO. But to each their own. BTW I also had no intentions of installing a catch can at 1st. But I'm so "OCD" about keeping my car clean as I can while the miles are getting up there I need it to survive at least another year for me before I can make the jump into then 2nd gen CTS-V I've been lusting over for years now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts