Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did I do wrong?

I installed the nice machined catch can a month ago or so per instructions. I only ran one valve cover line (passenger side) to the can, with plans to tie in the other side at a later date.

Went to drain it today, and there is nothing inside - bone dry and clean.

What did I do wrong?

WW

·
Registered
746 Posts
wildwhl said:
What did I do wrong?

I installed the nice machined catch can a month ago or so per instructions. I only ran one valve cover line (passenger side) to the can, with plans to tie in the other side at a later date.

Went to drain it today, and there is nothing inside - bone dry and clean.

What did I do wrong?

WW
sounds good to me. keep up the good work

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D-C -

I'll take that as sarcasm. Was my mistake in not tying in both sides/valve covers?

The can shouldn't be empty inside...it isn't "catching" anything.

WW

·
Registered
Orginal owner; 2004 CTS-V
566 Posts
The fact that you don't have both sides connected to the catch can is not relavent to the operation. If the catch can is connected correctly there should be positive pressure at the valve cover attach point and a negative pressure throught the catch can. If oil laden air from the motor was passing through the catch can....there will be oil in the can. What did you connect the oil can discharge line to?

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The discharge line (top line of the can, if I recall correctly) is attached to the intake barb by the throttle body. The side port is attached to the top of the valve cover. I'm at work at the moment and not in the V. I'll verify this when I get home.

WW

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I've been told 2 seperate times this is possible. I suppose it just means that the oil catch can isn't helping all that much at the moment, but it will be there if need be.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me correct this - the SIDE connection is going to the throttle body - per the instructions.

The top fitting is going to the valve cover.

I just verified this is correct via AMW's website...guess I'm just lucky?

WW

·
Registered
05 Maggied V Black/Black
1,158 Posts
I have a Maggie with two catch cans. The drivers side catches oil, but the passenger side is dry...................

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just pulled the hose off from the driver's side - oil blow by definately exists there. Think I'm going to T it into the catch can Monday during mod-hell.

WW

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
wildwhl said:
Just pulled the hose off from the driver's side - oil blow by definately exists there. Think I'm going to T it into the catch can Monday during mod-hell.

WW
1badcady and I had a bit.ch of a time with his catch-cans. We "T"'d both valve covers to the intake nipple on the maggie and it just created too much vacuum...pulled ounces/day. The engine needs to have a fresh-air inlet for the PCV system and an exhaust (to the intake of the maggie). What worked best on his car, IIRC, is:
--driver valve cover routed to TB nipple - this allowed air to enter the valve cover and feed the vacuum caused by...
--passenger valve cover routed to catch routed tomaggie intake nipple(inline PCV valve mounted before catch-can)

He put two catch-cans on the car, although only one is really needed...the maggie nipple. On my MaggiedZ, I put an inline Mr.Gasket clear fuel-filter on
my TB nipple...only a few drops of oil on that. On the crankcase-breather-nipple, I routed that to a catch can and then the maggie intake nipple. This was still too much vacuum, pulling plenty of oil, so I needed to add an inline PCV valve before the catch and then a breather-filter on the oil-cap. Now, I catch a few spoons of oil per month instead of a quart.

Good luck,
ace

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ames -

Whadya mean you don't drive that hard? Your engine is on fire!

That little nipple on the base of the manifold below the throttle body is something my '04 maggied V doesn't have.

Guess I'll try Ace's suggestion above...somehow...with more hoses running everywhere :nono:

WW

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
AmesCTS-V said:
I don't drive my V that hard and I get oil in it. Is it hooked up like this?
Are you draining and recording results at a regular mileage interval?

I'll get complusive and start doing mine and post results. I think it was at about 1K miles I had something less than a teaspoon.

Something else we can all be paranoid about... am I vaporizing too much?... too little? :eek:

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
wildwhl said:
Ames -

Whadya mean you don't drive that hard? Your engine is on fire!

That little nipple on the base of the manifold below the throttle body is something my '04 maggied V doesn't have.

Guess I'll try Ace's suggestion above...somehow...with more hoses running everywhere :nono:

WW
IIRC, you do have those nipples...or at least you should. The TB nipple is a source of fresh-air for the crankcase, and won't show much oil...if ever. It's the other tube that needs the can. The one that pulls vacuum at idle, at cruise, and on throttle. With the massive vacuum that the maggie creates whilst on boost, crankcase vapors are whipping through and being sucked into the intake.

I'll take a quick look at 1badcady's set-up tomorrow, while he still has it...
the lunatic just picked-up a 2002 911TT Silver/Black with 6K miles on it. He's already talking about a stage 4.... :thepan:

Be good,
ace

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
calicadi said:
Are you draining and recording results at a regular mileage interval?

I'll get complusive and start doing mine and post results. I think it was at about 1K miles I had something less than a teaspoon.

Something else we can all be paranoid about... am I vaporizing too much?... too little? :eek:
FELLOW PARANOIDS, HERE'S YOUR REMINDER TO CHECK YOUR CATCH CAN.

Drained mine today, just turning over 11K miles. Got .25 ounce or about a half a tablespoon. This is my first recorded measure. I'll plan on checking every 500 miles since I don't put many miles on in a year.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I had about 4 oz. every month in mine before I traded. I bought mine from the same place as Ames. Geno has it now, but I don't know that he installed it yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts