Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
Ya know I would tend to agree. It looks like a completely different bearing pressed in, it 'looks' bigger/deeper. The dust shield comes to the top of the housing.

The used one, is that grease that came out? Or PBblaster/anti-sieze stuff? I did slop some coppercoat.

I have some around, l should get some pics. What crap they peddle.
馃挬

Registered
EU - SRX 2004 N* (with autogaz system) AWD, 7seat, trailer hitch westfalia.
Hum, your old bearing have burn ? All greasse is out...

You don't have probl猫me with brake pads ? I discovered this on my SRX, 29 000km with akebono rear pads (18 000 miles), vibrations sometimes. Discs and bearing very hot !
Same autonomy (260km-161miles with lpg, 450km-279miles with premium) since 40 000km (24 800miles).

Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
Discussion Starter #23
I have always applied a light film of axle grease to the axle shaft splines when I install a wheel bearing - I am trying to reduce the chances of the axle seizing to the inside of the bearing. I have been doing this for decades. I think that is what you're seeing on the old bearing.

Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
Discussion Starter #24
Hum, your old bearing have burn ? All greasse is out...

You don't have probl猫me with brake pads ? I discovered this on my SRX, 29 000km with akebono rear pads (18 000 miles), vibrations sometimes. Discs and bearing very hot !
Same autonomy (260km-161miles with lpg, 450km-279miles with premium) since 40 000km (24 800miles).
I inspect my brake pads annually and yesterday measured almost 10mm on the inside pad and 15 mm on the outer one. The pads are roughly 18k kms old and are ceramic ones I ordered through RockAuto. Given the difference in pad width, I lubricated the caliper cylinder. I can get 50k kms on the rear pads but a sticky caliper shortens that significantly.

Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
Moog bearings are absolute shit. I went through 9 and escalated to their VP, Quality control for US. They sent an engineer to my house to inspect. They concluded 2 separate hubs were manufactured defective. Do NOT use Moog. Yes, they are made in China.

Northern, very surprised on the RW2019 failure. That, in my experience, is very odd. With that said, I had one that UPS had dropped, it torqued it ever so slightly, prevented 100% free movement. I thought I could get away with it so I mounted it anyhow. It failed in 3 months.

I believe these bearings are ALL under spec for the weigh class of vehicle. The full cost Delcos are really the only way to go, and even those ones, with their somewhat decent quality, are susceptible to failure with even minimally bad installs, rusty buildup on mounting surfaces, etc. Not a lot of people realize a mounting surface not 100% cleaned, can, ever so slightly, throw off the rotating spec. That's why on my "new to me" SRX, I basically installed them in the most anally-retentive way possible including full cleaning of the entire surrounding assemblies, full wire brush and brake cleaner on all the mounting surfaces, inside and out. Torque specs for the 3 rear hub bolts and then the axle nut appear to be super critical. I have an 07 and still torque at 08/09 spec. It literally has to be a mistake. Not a thing changed on the entire parts list for the axle, rotation assemblies from 07 to 08.

By the way, F that damn rear lower bolt. You know which one I'm talking about!! It will eventually be the death of me. 馃ぃ

2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't preload an issue? Ball vs roller here is/seems weird to me. Cheap.
Lube and preload are the failure points, on all bearings. Well, maybe defects/load design also...

So, these are assembled with a 'given preload', and installed/torqued to a 'final preload'?
Is that right? Seems to me, if they are lubed right,,,that is a major point of 'trouble'.

I'm wondering are they being 'over-torqued'..even if it is to spec?
And maybe a combo of too tight assembled/preloaded.

Regardless, it is a crap problem that should long ago have been sorted out.
It is a safety problem, and if it strands you where I travel, life or death is possible this time of year.
Total Bullshit.

2004 SRX
Regardless, it is a crap problem that should long ago have been sorted out.
It is a safety problem, and if it strands you where I travel, life or death is possible this time of year.
Total Bullshit.
Depending on whether you are referring to the bearing or the WSS, I don't know if I would call it a safety issue. Wheel bearings don't typically fail catastrophically, in a sudden manner. They usually get gradually worse. WSS can cause the stability system to fail, so that could be dangerous.

Dave

Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
Sure. But speaking from someone who has literally lost 9 bearings on this truck, the worst one I had broke nearly free and wobbled, but the wobble was so bad, you literally had to stop the truck. There was no driving of it. You'd have to be drunk or high to not notice the vibration and swaying of the vehicle when it failed.

All the other failures did disable stabilitrack, but I dont see how disabled stabilitrak, unless you are a bad driver, could be directly attributed to a catastrophic injury. Remember you still have to drive well, the electronic overrides only save your tail from being a jackass.

Anyhow, I dont see this causing, for example, a flip or massive wreck at highway speed. Still an unacceptable and common problem on these trucks!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts