Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any success with an aftermarket cat , both mine need changed?

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
There was an extended warranty on some; check w/ dealer to see if yours is included.

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer said they are only 8 yr/ 80000 warranty , im in canada not sure if that makes diff.First time the dealer told me 5yr i called back and asked someone else lol
Anyways took cat off was gonna try aftermarket, there was no bolts left at the exhaust end and the donut gasket had a crack in it.I was thinking about getting new gasket and donut
drill out the bolt ends that were left and put in regular bolts.My cat looks good it is solid and the screen thing looks clean ,although O2 sensor is pretty carboned up , what do ya think?
Reason was i have a 420 and 430 code, had 420 about 6 months before the 430 came.The one i am working on now is the drivers side.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
From the SM-
In order to maintain a reasonably low emission level of hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) a 3-way catalytic converter (TWC) is used. The catalyst within the converter promotes a chemical reaction that oxidizes the HC and CO present in the exhaust gas. This reaction converts the gases into harmless water vapor and carbon dioxide. The catalyst also reduces the NOx , converting the NOx into nitrogen. The engine control module (ECM) monitors this process using the post catalyst heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) signal. The post-catalyst HO2S located in the exhaust stream after the TWC, produces an output signal that indicates the oxygen storage capacity of the catalyst. The oxygen storage capacity (OSC) determines the ability of the catalyst to convert the exhaust emissions effectively. If the catalyst is functioning correctly, the post-catalyst HO2S signal will be far less active than the signal produced by the pre-catalyst HO2S.

To determine OSC, the ECM commands a rich air/fuel mixture until all oxygen is removed from the catalyst. The ECM then commands a lean air/fuel mixture and monitors the rear heated oxygen sensors to calculate the oxygen storage capacity. The catalyst is operated in this mode until one of the following conditions occur:

• The oxygen stored in the catalyst exceeds a calibrated threshold, which is determined from the rear HO2S signal.
• The rear HO2S indicates the catalyst to be completely saturated with oxygen, which is determined from the rear HO2S signal.
If the ECM detects the average OSC is less than a threshold, this DTC sets. This indicates that the TWC oxygen storage capacity is below a threshold considered acceptable.
Inspect for the following conditions:

• The catalytic converter is an original equipment part.
• Inspect the exhaust system for leaks, damage, or loose or missing hardware in the area from the converter to the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2.
• The HO2S 2 is secure and the wiring is not damaged or contacting the exhaust.
So, your bad gasket and missing(?) bolts may have affected the system. Try your repair first and wait at least 4 ignition cycles to see if it is corrected.

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes its what i am thinking, the bolts (studs) were rusted away , all thats left is the stud heads welded in converter, i will need to drill these out somehow.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
There are also small 'clamps' that might do the job if enough room.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
I had problems with bolts when I did tran. case chain. The studs are similar to the wheel studs as they are knurled and press into hole in cat as you tighten nut.
Mine snapped off(rust) so I ground them down flat to surface of cat and drove them out with a round flat punch. Replaced with bolt,l/washer, and nut.
Real PIA but I think easier than drilling out. Penetrating oil helps and heat also might help. Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well found a machinist guy who was able to drill em out 40 bucks , worth it in my opinion .Now wait for dealer to open to buy the upper gasket to manifold and putt it back in .Thanks for the ideas guys.

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought the steel gasket 92 bucks holy crap and mine was just as good didnt think was that expensive so put mine back on no leaks just wait for codes and see what happens.
Then its on to passenger side, im pretty sure that cat is no good.

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes took cat out cause i thought it needed replaced but was in great shape, i think the broken studs and crumbling cracked donut gasket may have caused the 430 code

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Checked codes and no 430 just 420 so onto the passenger side looks alot harder with all the wiring and stuff in the way.
Anyone removed this one have any tips? thanks

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Remove the heat shield first. Down below the front drive shaft is in the way (remove).

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Apparently to get at lower bolts and move exhaust parts. Remember, this is from the SM and dealers make their money from 'service'.

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So was able to get passenger side cat off was a bit of work but cat was hollowed out so need a new on this side.On a whim called the auto wreckers and they had a cat from a sxr with 50000klm, so for 200 bucks ill take my chances pick up in the morn and install it.
Oh and Glake your right the dealer is scamming labour hrs, the removal of driveshaft is because they remove the whole exhaust to service cats.The driveshaft is no where near the cat.

·
Registered
06 v6 SRX
491 Posts
Last oil change I checked my cat. studs ( 06,v6, 143000. mi.) and they were real thin . Might check with a muffler shop to have them knocked out and replaced .

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea , eventually they will erode to nothing and a matter of time before it leaks.

·
Registered
SRX 2005 v6 AWD
3 Posts
JDQ...HELP PLEASE....I am in the middle of removing my passenger side cat and I cannot seem to figure out how to get it out. I have everything disconnected ( both convertors from downstream exhaust system, manifold heat shield, nuts from top of manifold (2) that connect to the studs on the converter, disconnected O2 sensor). Did you have to remove the studs from the cat? If so, how did you go about it? What tool(s) did you use? Did you have to disconnect any other things to make space? Like you said, it is EXTREMELY tight on the passenger side and cannot get the convertor out....very sad as I was pretty proud of myself that I was able to get this far ( cracking rusted nuts in tight places is NOT what I do for a living). I would be so appreciative for any help or guidance....and I will pay it forward.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts