Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK peeps... Has anyone, other than me, looked the cat temps when your running down the road? If not you may be a bit surprised at what you see.

I have been do some testing for the folks at Linear Logic, makers of the Scan Gauge II (SG II). Neat little scan tool as you can program it for almost any reported PID. I added the Cat Temp pid and wow.... 1250° to 1350° at hwy speeds. Here is a photo of the gauge just after I pulled into the garage, which is 3 min run from the hwy.

CT1 = Cat Temp Bank1
O11 = O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
SF1 = Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Sensor 1
LF1 = Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Sensor 1

·
Registered
2013 ATS
143 Posts
Wonder if the cat-less down pipe gets that hot? Or if the catalytic converter traps exhaust just long enough to raise the temp that high?

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,515 Posts
I wouldn't expect the cat-less to get as hot. There used to be warnings to not park a recently driven car on dry grass as the cat might start a fire.

Interesting information but not sure why it is scary. Only a problem if it wasn't designed to get as hot as it is getting.

I have seen videos of red hot turbo's, again just because it gets really hot doesn't mean it is a problem.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I read and have been told by those with experience these temps not abnormally high. Depending on the engine configuration normal could be 1,000 or like ours 1,300. I was just a bit surprised that it was as high as it was.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
This is not out of the ordinary. Many turbo vehicles push egts to 1,700+ temps from the factory. The temps as the go down stream through the exhaust so 1,300 at the cat is normal.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
LTFT of 7 is kinda high (not scary high), did you leave the tune stock after changing the exhaust? I normally figure that above 5%, I want to tweak it. does it stay that high in cruise cells, or just at idle?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will watch it tomorrow as I need to go into town.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LTFT runs from 5 to 10 depending on on my right foot.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK peeps..... I have been eyeballing my fuel trims, cat temp and ignition for about a week or so. In that time I reloaded the stock tune to see if anything change. Low and behold there were some changes. The STFT started running 0 to negative and the LTFT dropped at idle and stayed under 10 most of the time on the hwy... Cat temps were about the same but increased at a slower rate. Timing changed as I figured it would. I really need to data log both tunes and compare.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
What tune are you running?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts