Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a recall letter in the mail from GM. They warn of premature failure of the catalytic converter being a possibility. Anyone else get the same letter?

Ever since I hit 25K miles a few weeks ago it feels like the thing is falling apart. I just had one of those stupid small headlight bulbs go out too. ;)

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC
462 Posts
I need one (letter) since I have a catalytic convertor low effiency bank 2 check engine light that comes on for a week and then goes off for a week and then repeats itself over and over and over. I think I'm getting tired of my Caddy.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Emission Control Warranty is 80,000 miles in the US. I'd love to see such a letter. Can you upload a scan?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
This is a "special policy" that covers V8 SRX 04-05 and STS 05 for 12 years or 200,000 miles.
If this special policy applies to your vehicle and you have codes that indicate a catalyst failure it will be replaced at no cost.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC
462 Posts
Everytime that my CEL comes on and I make an appointment to have it looked at the CEL clears and once it clears there is nothing the dealer can do for me, I just have to play yo-yo and hope that I can get it to the dealer when the CEL is on.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I need one (letter) since I have a catalytic convertor low effiency bank 2 check engine light that comes on for a week and then goes off for a week and then repeats itself over and over and over. I think I'm getting tired of my Caddy.
I just got back from the dealer because of this same exact problem. It took them a week to get the converter since it was a "special order" part. That light better not come back on. I have 6 days left on my warranty.. WEEEEE!!

·
Registered
2 Cadillac STS 1SG W/NAV
158 Posts
Could someone upload this letter, I have had codes P420 & P430 on my 05 STS 1SG for quite some time now, the dealer wants $1900.00 to replace both Cats.

Thanxx in Advance !!!

·
Registered
NONE
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X85myXnpuBe4DWsHQ-OruA?feat=directlink

The ironic thing is that the catalytic converter on my winter 4X4 ('90 Jeep Cherokee w/199K miles) just clogged up a couple weeks ago. I don't have any reason to suspect a problem with my Caddy at this point. It runs wonderfully and the gas mileage is fine too. I'll keep the letter around though... ;-)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The dealer could replace the cat on a history code, it's dumb to think that a cat will be fine if it failed more than once.

I might be able to copy the text later on, but remember this has to show up on GMVIS (which is now referred to as "investigate vehicle history") before they can do it but it should apply to all the vehicles I listed above.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I just got back from the dealer because of this same exact problem. It took them a week to get the converter since it was a "special order" part. That light better not come back on. I have 6 days left on my warranty.. WEEEEE!!
Not to worry. A problem reported under warranty establishes your claim regardless. Drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
458 Posts
I wonder if this has been the trouble I've been having, ever since about 30k miles I guess. I had a post earlier that my CIL would come on, but just before I would notice a decrease in power. The codes I got were talking about camshaft sensor 2 malfunction. got a 05 V8 STS4. Think I will take it back and show them this letter, last time they said they just reprogramed the comp

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC
462 Posts
The codes I got were talking about camshaft sensor 2 malfunction. got a 05 V8 STS4. Think I will take it back and show them this letter, last time they said they just reprogramed the comp
I thought it was for the catalytic converter malfunctions or does it include the camshaft too.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The N* camshaft sensors are not what I would call "robust". They do fail.
This is only an issue if the vehicle turns on the CEL (MIL) for a P0420 or P0430 DTC.

·
Registered
Cadillac
458 Posts
Guess it may be a seperate issue then. I was pulling several codes before but the code I have down is P0390. Just get same symtom, car seems to lose power then CIL comes on. Goes off a couple days later, then comes back again a few days after that

·
Registered
STS
786 Posts
I had a cat replaced on my V6 at 40K something miles on the clock. Free of charge.

My car just ran like crap one day and that was why.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC
462 Posts
Guess it may be a seperate issue then. I was pulling several codes before but the code I have down is P0390. Just get same symtom, car seems to lose power then CIL comes on. Goes off a couple days later, then comes back again a few days after that
Does anyone know what code P0390 is ?

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Does anyone know what code P0390 is ?
DTC P0365 or P0390
Circuit Description
The exhaust camshaft position (CMP) sensor is a hall integrated circuit (IC) type sensor that works in conjunction with a single tooth reluctor wheel used to determine the position of the exhaust camshaft. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a 12-volt pull up voltage on the CMP sensor signal circuit. As the tooth on the reluctor wheel passes the CMP sensor, it sends a digital signal which is an image of the reluctor wheel to the ECM. The ECM processes this information to determine the exact position of the camshafts, and to determine the optimum ignition and injection points of the engine. The CMP sensor wiring consists of a 12-volt reference circuit, a low reference circuit, and a signal circuit. If the ECM cannot see a change in the exhaust CMP sensor signal, DTC P0365 or P0390 will set.

DTC Descriptors
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:
• DTC P0365 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Bank 1
• DTC P0390 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Bank 2

Conditions for Running the DTC
• The engine is running.
• DTC P0365 or P0390 runs continuously once the above condition is met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The ECM does not detect a signal from the exhaust CMP sensor for more than 1 second

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
I wonder if this has been the trouble I've been having, ever since about 30k miles I guess. I had a post earlier that my CIL would come on, but just before I would notice a decrease in power. The codes I got were talking about camshaft sensor 2 malfunction. got a 05 V8 STS4. Think I will take it back and show them this letter, last time they said they just reprogramed the comp

Unplug each one of the four CPS sensors one at a time, apply some silicone grease, and then plug/unplug each one a few times to clean the contact surfaces.

They're right out in the open, easy to get to, and will cure most intermittent CPS codes...

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Unplug each one of the four CPS sensors one at a time, apply some silicone grease, and then plug/unplug each one a few times to clean the contact surfaces.

They're right out in the open, easy to get to, and will cure most intermittent CPS codes...
I believe you mean dielectric grease. Silicon isn't bad but is not a conductor; dielectric grease is.

(You can't keep Lucas electronics in British cars working right without it. It's the only grease that doesn't leak out of my Triumph!)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts