Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Converter welded on or is it something I can replace in my garage? I have a P0420 code and the car has loss of power and a weird smell.

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
You a clog cat is not cheap if you can buy the oem. That would last you a very long time. The aftrr market are not that good if they last more than one year you would be lk. Ps how many mile des the car has if is undet 85k is still under warranty

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
Oem i original equipment manufacturers

----------

I had an 06 dts i put aftermarket walker brand it only lasted 6 month. I had to get one from the dealer. How long is the warranty that the shop is going yo give you. They cost around 700 dollars at the dealer.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Perfomance
5 Posts
Before you spend money on a new cat, be aware that there are a lot of other potential causes for that trouble code, leaking injector(s), flakeyO2 sensor(s) to name just two. It's probably cheaper to take the car to someone with an advanced scanner and have them do the diagnosis than to buy a new cat and find out that wasn't the problem.....

All the best,

Bob Johnson
'06 Performance

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got a brand new cat installed. There's no more smell and it runs better. The cat has a 2 yr warranty. I just need to do the driving cycle to see if the code is completely resolved.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not totally sure but they did have to weld it on. It only took about 20-30 minutes. I just bought the car out of state and i need to get the inspection and plates for right now.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah the code came back now. And the coolant temperature is going just a little past the half mark in traffic. I've owned older devilles but not too familiar with this DTS I guess it'll be good to go ahead and replace the water pump and thermostat. Would a oxygen sensor or O2 sensor cause this code to come on?

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
That normal in slow traffic it could go up the the next line . And them come down even in very cold temperature. If the catalyst is not a direct fit or made for the Deville or the dts is not going to work. There is only company thats make the catalyst for the dts that's walker. 2000 to 05 Deville also work.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going back to the shop to make sure that they put a OEM cat. I came up on a old post saying that there could be a false P0420 code and that the PCM needs an upgrade from a Cadillac dealer.

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
How much you pay for it. The average cost of the oem is 800 dollars . If they put a universal one it would not work and you wasted your money.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I only paid $300 so yeah I highly doubt it's OEM. I would like to make sure that's what is causing the code to come up before I spend $800 where can I purchase the OEM other than the dealer?

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: Shop was suppose to install a better cat but never did and instead did some software update. Well the code came back on as SOON as I got home. I called the nearest Cadillac dealer here they want $900 for a new cat and can't get one until Tuesday. I swear I can't ever find a good shop or mechanic that knows how to work on these Cadillacs.

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
Where do you live I live im nyc and have a very good mechanic that used to work for cadillac. That's why at the beginning of the post I try to get you not to waste your money on a after market cat. Also we are here to help. Good luck

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
UPDATE: Shop was suppose to install a better cat but never did and instead did some software update. Well the code came back on as SOON as I got home. I called the nearest Cadillac dealer here they want $900 for a new cat and can't get one until Tuesday. I swear I can't ever find a good shop or mechanic that knows how to work on these Cadillacs.
You info shows that you are in Dallas...
Crest Cadillac in Plano does real good work and Frank Kent Cadillac in Ft Worth does excellent work...
I have been going to Frank Kent for over 30 years...A friend of mine takes his to Crest Cadillac.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Grullon10 you have been very helpful I appreciate it.

----------

I do live in Dallas. The only bad experience dealer I've had is Massey Cadillac. On my older Deville they try to charge me $2000 plus of work basically saying its trash and a lot of stuff they said was bad I replaced myself already.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Thank you Grullon10 you have been very helpful I appreciate it.

----------

I do live in Dallas. The only bad experience dealer I've had is Massey Cadillac. On my older Deville they try to charge me $2000 plus of work basically saying its trash and a lot of stuff they said was bad I replaced myself already.
I won't take anything to Massey for service...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts