Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How Many Cats on My Vehicle? Should I Purchase an Eastern Cat Direct Fit that's Flanged? What are the stock numbers if anyone knows. need some Guidance Please Thank You. : )

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
P 0420 refers to system efficiency - P 0422 is Bank 1 efficiency.

This code list is for our series of Northstar Cadillac - AWH: Cadillac On-Board Diagnostic Trouble Codes (OBD-II) - note the P 0420.

For a converter look in Eastern Catalytic or Rock Auto. The Direct Fit series.

Your car has one converter and 3 or 4 O2 sensors. The after-cat sensor is reporting low efficiency.

B2S1 is the left (front) sensor - in the exhaust manifold collector
B1S1 is the right (rear) senaor - in the to of the exhaust manifold
B1S2 (if fitted) is a pre-cat sensor
B1S3 is the after-cat sensor and is named B1S2 if there is no pre-cat sensor.

DO NOT unduly bend, twist, or kink the new sensor electrical pigtails. DO NOT get any oil or anti-seize near a sensor tip.

Front O2 sensor B2 S1.gif
CMP-VSS-B1S1 locator.gif
B1S2 sensor.gif

You MIGHT clear the code by getting to the country and performing several WOT procedures. The Northstar exhaust system needs the living dog snot run out of it once in a while. Google "cadillac forums northstar wot procedure".

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Bass, so your opinion based on the code is that the after cat O2 sensor is bad or the cat? or both ? I did the WOT procedure a while ago and blew out my alternator had to replace that . I am gun shy now to blast it ...LOL

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
I'm not basscatt.

I'll not hang my hat on a bad cat, but that's what overall system efficiency points to.

If a sensor itself was bad it would set a different P 04XX or P 01XX code. Look at the code list again - the whole sensor system is tightly monitored.

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 1997 SLS
609 Posts
My car has had a check engine light on since the 2nd day I’ve owned it [Sep. last yr] and it has the same code. Last time I took it to the independent Cadillac dealer to fix a misfire they told me that the check engine light would likely return in a day or two because the catalytic converter is bad but it shouldn’t effect performance at least for now... The smog check place also told me the same thing a few months ago when it was sure to fail inspection. I still haven’t gotten around to fixing it and I’m not sure how long I should put it off for.

I drove my previous Cadillac, a 97’ Seville around for over 2yrs. with the same exact check engine light/code P0420/catalytic converter and it never missed a beat performance wise.

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not basscatt.

I'll not hang my hat on a bad cat, but that's what overall system efficiency points to.

If a sensor itself was bad it would set a different P 04XX or P 01XX code. Look at the code list again - the whole sensor system is tightly monitored.
Sorry Sub I am Loosing My Mind on all the Issues I am Having Thank you Very Much for your Help I think Ill replace the cat and o2 sensor Ill talk to my Mechanic. I buy the Parts he puts them in : )

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 1997 SLS
609 Posts
Sorry Sub I am Loosing My Mind on all the Issues I am Having Thank you Very Much for your Help I think Ill replace the cat and o2 sensor Ill talk to my Mechanic. I buy the Parts he puts them in : )
Can you give us an update on how much the whole deal winds up costing you? I’ve always been under the impression that this situation is going to cost alot of money..

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you give us an update on how much the whole deal winds up costing you? I’ve always been under the impression that this situation is going to cost alot of money..
Yes I will Eldo but you car may require more or less of what i do fyi

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Cat from Eastern direct fit is $202 o2 Sensor approx $40 my mechanic is $100 total $340 Approx hope this helps you All the Best

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 1997 SLS
609 Posts
That price would be sweet... I’ve always thought it was going to cost about a thousand.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,194 Posts
A CAT from Eastern has a lot less precious metals in it, thus the much lower price.

I put one on my daughters SLS and drove it from CHI to PDX without a problem. A few days later it set a P0420 code. I had her clear the codes, as I was back east. Took a few tries, but she eventually passed the emissions test. Needless to say, I'm a bit gun shy about the Eastern CATs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts