Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Catera 98
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my Cat did this once last year... but since then due to other issues (new T-Stat, new rad etc)... I figured I was oki... now it has done this twice in 2 weeks... the engine, heat's up, not much higher than half way... park the car. Try to restart it, nothing... wait 15-20 minutes, then it restarts no problem...

Any idea's what I should be looking for?

·
Registered
1999 Catera
57 Posts
The crank position sensor is failing... I suggest replacing ASAP. It's not a difficult replacement, just really tedious as you have to be very careful about getting the wires routed back up from the new sensor.

·
Registered
Catera 98
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that... but isn't this (from what O read) it fails or not... not once in a while and wait 15 minutes and all is fine?

I thought the crank sensor would prevent the car from starting, but still turned over... mine just goes click, nothing....

·
Registered
1999 Catera
57 Posts
Your right, the CPK will let the car crank but not start. As far as the CPK going out, if I let my car sit for awhile, it would start up, but the waiting period got longer and longer.

Hopefully someone else will chime in. Coils maybe?

·
Registered
1997 Catera
172 Posts
clicks but won't start? I'd be looking at batery, alternator and starter connections, and possible starter solenoid issues. Assuming the 'click' is the starter solenoid trying to pull in, and if so it is most definitely not a sensor or anything other computer or ignition related, its current path failure or starter failure.

·
Registered
Catera 98
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry been real busy this, first chance to re-check the forums... when I say click... i mean, just turn the key in the ingnition, and watch all the usual pre-start lights, and 'click' nothing else happens.... nothing more. Wait 10-15 minutes or until the temp needle goes back to just a tad under half way mark, and then turn the ingnition, and starts right up on the first turn.

·
Registered
Catera 98
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update from the Omega forums on this:

"I had a similar problem with mine, reached 93 degrees then cut out. 10 mins later all ok again as it cooled off then a repeat performance. The cure was a new cranshaft sensor"

"Could be the crankshaft sensor though. The cable is run up along the oil cooler pipes and gets hot which causes it's failure and that ties in with your symptoms. When replacing the sensor it's best to run it around and tie wrap it to the abs pipes to keep it away from the heat."

So I'll be looking into this further...

·
Registered
535 Posts
a ha i had the same problem and it only affected the car when it was very warm. Try this first go to autozone advanced auto etc and get a cooling system additive that will cool system down i got Red Line Water Wetter and it makes the car run slightly cooler they say up to 20degree Royal Purple has a product called purple Ice same stuff.

Anyway that will help a little but i took it to me mechanic and he said after extensive testing it was the starter solenoid and had that replaced and problem went away what happens i guess is the old one gets too hot and and wont work till its cooled down a new one is your best bet and some kinda heat wrap would be good too! I would say take it to a trusted mechanic and have them check the solenoid, better yet drive it there and try to make it do it so they can see. This will most likely fix your problem Best of luck -Pete and from what i can remember it was not too expensive.

·
Registered
99 Catera
157 Posts
I am having this exact same problem. When the car is warmed up it will NOT start for 15 min's as stated. It won't even turn over, the car has power. As long as it's cool it always starts up. I checked autozone for a price on the starter selenoid, the selenoid alone is like the same price as a whole starter :sneaky: I guess it's time to change the starter then eh? Is is a knuckle buster or fairly easy to get at?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts