Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 cts Vsport
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of having a local shop remove the cats and just put test pipes in to stock exhaust. What kind of power gains should I expect and will my car sound a lot louder??

·
Registered
CTS-V
18 Posts
a 12-15rwhp gain and 1.5 psi loss of boost

Isn't a good mod unless you are running a smaller upper pulley at a minimum

·
Registered
2014 cts Vsport
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lsxtuner said:
a 12-15rwhp gain and 1.5 psi loss of boost Isn't a good mod unless you are running a smaller upper pulley at a minimum
I am running a 2.5 upper pulley a ported TB and a airaid intake.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
539 Posts
Deleting the CATs will slightly increase the sound. You will notice a 20% increase at idle or in a garage. Under normal acceleration and at cruise or highway there is very little difference. The biggest change I noticed is the increase in exhaust smell w/o the cats. I am seriously thinking about installing 100 or 200 cell CATs just to reduce the smell.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
dkozloski said:
Deleting CATs on a road car is a federal offense. There's a $2750 fine per CAT. Do you really want to deal with that?
I've traded in cars without cats. Clearly, no one really cares about it much unless maybe you're in California.

·
Registered
None
30 Posts
What about the check engine light, is there a way to tune the ecu to ignore the secondary O2 sensors? I usually run my cars no cats as well but I hate seeing that light.

·
Registered
2014 cts Vsport
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
baabootoo said:
I'd remove, or gut, the second set first and see how you like it. Then, you're still legal...........looking
Will there be any power gain or drop in boost by just losing the second set or will it be just for sound?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
539 Posts
If you gut the second set of CATs you will get more resonance. you would be better off just eliminating the entire center section of pipes and replace them with mandrel bent pipes instead of the crimped pipes.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2011 CTS-V Coupe, 2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2016 CTS-V
283 Posts
I have done what MOPARMAN 4444 suggest on all 3 of my V's and like the results!! you get the deeper sound at idle and WOT, you don't have to look at those crimped pipes anymore when you change your oil. Cost about $100 bucks at any quality muffler shop, takes about an hour to remove bend and re-weld new spacer pipes. I have pic's of the finished product if needed.

Mike P.

·
Registered
2014 cts Vsport
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Mikevette said:
I have done what MOPARMAN 4444 suggest on all 3 of my V's and like the results!! you get the deeper sound at idle and WOT, you don't have to look at those crimped pipes anymore when you change your oil. Cost about $100 bucks at any quality muffler shop, takes about an hour to remove bend and re-weld new spacer pipes. I have pic's of the finished product if needed. Mike P.
Please post pics if you could. Is there any power gain from just taking out the second cats?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2011 CTS-V Coupe, 2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2016 CTS-V
283 Posts
If you just delete the secondary cats along with crimped pipes you will not have to worry about the gas smell. The only cats you have are rite after the exhaust manifolds. So just disconnect you exhaust there and cut after the resonators then add spacer pips, good to go. The drone that everybody talks about isn 't bad at all at least you can hear your V run while driving down the road!! Everybody has their own opinion to how they want their V to sound. This small modification to the exhaust worked for mebut, might not be load enough for others.

Mike P.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
539 Posts
I agree with the delete of secondary cats and pipe. There is very little difference in the sound if you stay with the same pipe size.
With a Jamaican accent "Don't worry about the sound man, you like it"

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO
371 Posts
even if you do loose some boost on the gauge, you still have the same power. You really dont gain much by this, unless you are modded more than the average car. Above 575-600whp, you would start to gain some real hp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts