Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
07 Cadillac Escalade ESV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a cat back system for my 07 ESV. I have it narrowed down to the Magnaflow, Corsa, or the GM Touring.

Want a nice throaty exhaust with NO Drone and quiet in the cab at cruising speeds. Just want to open it up a little.

Is anyone running any of these and would you recommend or buy again.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I have had Corsa Sport, Corsa Touring, GM Performance and B&B, nothing sounds better than the B&B system, and while there is no drone with the B&B the noise some times gets to me in the mountains, on the highway and around town is fine, and hardly a day goes by where someone does comment on how good it sounds. Corsa Sport was just too loud for my taste, on my Corvette's it one thing, the Corsa Touring I have been real happy with on my other Escalade, also had Touring on my 03' Escalade and two of my 07's. My 10' will have Kooks long tube headers and Corsa Touring, was going to put them on my 09', but they are going on the 10' instead. The GM Performance system sounded good, had a little drone, I thought the B&B and Corsa offered a little more performance than the GM system, but never dyno'd it to really see, pretty sure the GM system is a Borla system.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
^^^ Nope they're in stock, and blowing them out, I talked to them earlier this week. Their complete list of available Cadillac exhaust is HERE. $225!!! Unfortunately they don't have an application for the ESV, which is what the OP is looking for, just like me...

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt
365 Posts
ESV/EXT differences are strange because to quote my Borla instructions: "This Borla Performance Cat-back Exhaust System (Part number 140205) has been designed for 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV/EXT and GMC Denali XL equipped with a 6.2L V8 engine, all-wheel and an automatic transmission" I positioned it under the EXT and it seem right. It is a right side dual exit. ESV and EXT share doors and wheelbase. I decided to order a Volant EXT system during the weekend just in case the Borla is too loud for me. When it comes in I can compare it to the Borla but I do not have an ESV available to me to check it out. One last thing...and I am not 100% sure but if you are looking for a system for the 2009, I think it is different from 2007/2008. My understanding and I don't remember where I read it is that they changed the type coupling on the 2009 exhaust prior to the muffler...similar to the way they changed the way the CAI fits up in the engine compartment. You might want to check a CAD/GMC dealer and ask them to verify which, if any, of the pipes are the same as 2008. See the Borla vs Corsa thread.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Maybe Ronin can comment on what Volant said about differences in ESV/EXT. And Hvone do you have any opinions you might share about Kooks vs Dynatech vs ARH (new this year) long tube headers?

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
76 Posts
^^^ Nope they're in stock, and blowing them out, I talked to them earlier this week. Their complete list of available Cadillac exhaust is HERE. $225!!! Unfortunately they don't have an application for the ESV, which is what the OP is looking for, just like me...
Maybe they still have the Escalade set up in stock, but the EXT version which shows "in stock" is gone. Just talked to them yesterday and did order the Power Tip. They said that they have not been keeping their web site up to date with the actual stock on hand. Only way to know for sure is to call, and they aren't open again until Monday.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
Maybe Ronin can comment on what Volant said about differences in ESV/EXT. And Hvone do you have any opinions you might share about Kooks vs Dynatech vs ARH (new this year) long tube headers?
Maybe they still have the Escalade set up in stock, but the EXT version which shows "in stock" is gone. Just talked to them yesterday and did order the Power Tip. They said that they have not been keeping their web site up to date with the actual stock on hand. Only way to know for sure is to call, and they aren't open again until Monday.
I spoke to Danny, Volant's VP on Monday to see whether or not the EXT exhaust could be used on an ESV. He stated that they never fitted an ESV (@ least the new/'07 and up model, which is what we're discussing here) and when I told him that GM offered cat-backs with the same part numbers for the EXT and ESV he reiterated that they have never fit one to an ESV, and trying to fit the EXT to my ESV would obviously be at my own risk. Does that mean they wouldn't fit an ESV? I dunno, and as inexpensive as the system is I'm not gonna throw that kind of money in the toilet to do an experiment for them to find out I'm S.O.L. FYI, they were in stock on Monday when I spoke to them...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sounds like Volant is being rightfully super cautious. Since they had not fitted it then they could not be sure that it would fit, hence your risk. Borla seems to think they do and the gm part numbers match for ESV/EXT on the performance exhausts. They share the same wheel base and doors etc. EXT made in Mexico, ESV made in Texas. If for some reason it did not fit I would think that you could get your money back (about $250 shipped vice 500+ for any other stainless set out there) easily by selling them to a Avalanche/EXT/Denali owner. They look stunning.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
Sounds like Volant is being rightfully super cautious. Since they had not fitted it then they could not be sure that it would fit, hence your risk. Borla seems to think they do and the gm part numbers match for ESV/EXT on the performance exhausts. They share the same wheel base and doors etc. EXT made in Mexico, ESV made in Texas. If for some reason it did not fit I would think that you could get your money back (about $250 shipped vice 500+ for any other stainless set out there) easily by selling them to a Avalanche/EXT/Denali owner. They look stunning.
Oh I thought about it, but 2 things stopped me; the prospect of having to explain this to my bride who is extremely tolerant of my modding to begin with, and the fact that they're now sold out...

I'm gonna go with the GM touring model. My local dealer will match the price on GM Parts Direct, and although I'll be paying tax it will be more than offset by GMPD's high shipping costs.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ronin, Wish my dealer would price match....I landed up getting my entire Platinum front end less grills/headlights from GMpartsdirect. ASC in Canada is providing the hood. Going to try to get the Borla on this weekend. Volant accepted my order but put it in the pending status last weekend and has not responded to either of my inquiry emails. If the Borla drones it will be replaced. I already have enough noise from the GMPP CAI intake..boy is it loud when accelerating.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
225 Posts
Corsa Touring is quieter than stock at idle, but as soon as you hit the gas at WOT it sounds like a nascar! and even louder after I put the headers on. NO DRONE ever. Performance did increase too.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
Dare I ask...but anyone using a Gibson exhaust system? All of this talk of drone and no one's mentioned Gibson yet! :histeric:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Put the Borla on yesterday. Landed up cutting the old exhaust just aft of the rear supports as recommended in the Borla instructions. Did by hand with a hacksaw because my Sawsil and most my tools are lent out. Pita, but not the worse one. Put on front pipe, then muffler, then removed spare and shield (required to get tail pipe over rear axle). Had to jack up side slightly to get enough room to clear axle. This proved to be the most interesting part...I now know where the jack is, how to remove the jack WITHOUT unbolting the bracket and that it has wheel chocks attached to it. Discovered the key lock to the spare tire lowering mechanism, found out which end to insert into it to get it to work, and even found the handle/jack extension in the right rear compartment. I guess I should have read the Cadillac owner's manual first but by then I was too dirty and wet to get the book out or even touch it since it was raining everywhere except under the truck. Once I got the rear pipe over the axle I found I could not get it lined up and slipped over the twin muffler pipes. After about an hour of trying everything I could think of, I gave up. After several cooling beverages I crawled back under and removed everything in the front. I was then able to slip the muffler (by itself) onto the dual pipes. then put the front pipe on the muffler, swung the whole thing rearward enough to get the front flange lined up and together. If I had done it that way to start with it would have only taken about twenty minutes to install. So much for following the installation instructions. Sounds great at idle and hand operated gas pedal. Much, much deeper and mellower tone. Was too dirty, wet, and exhausted to test drive it to check for drone and noise level. Will have to report that later if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
365 Posts
OK, last comment...NO drone with the Borla in my EXT but the best I can describe in driving it is a distinct lower growl under light acceleration that increases to a snarl under a heavier acceleration. ANY throttle makes the exhaust noticeable, even a slight hill will make it crank up a few decibels. Not objectionably so unless you want absolute quiet under mild speed up slow down driving (which is impossible in my wind noise machine). The best way to describe it is that the exhaust tells you when you are making the engine work to maintain or increase speed. But even after resetting the MPG Average after my 8.9MPG full throttle noise runs, the MPG has remained lower than before (17-19MPG before, 15-17 now). I have actually lost mileage with a GMPP CAI and Borla Exhaust. I guess I will have to disconnect battery to get the computer to retrain itself. Will do a tune after I get headers. But I did gain a lot in the Visual/Audio impression of performance/speed. Conclusion: If I was doing a LOT of towing or wanted to creep in unnoticed, I would probably be better satisfied with a quieter system. If I was a power enthusiast and liked to hear a sweet low melody that raises to a snarl at full throttle and speed the Borla would be great choice.

·
Registered
07 Cadillac Escalade ESV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the input. I will call Volant in the morning. If they have the EXT I will put it on. Cant beat the price. If they do not have any I will get the Corsa. I have not heard anyone talk about the Magnaflow????

And Gibson Exhaust systems suck. The noise and drone is by far the worst.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
I tried to order the Volant online Friday and this morning and it wont let me order the exhaust. I get the following--
System Message

We were unable to calculate Shipping Rates for this order. Please contact us for assistance. (P225 W0 Z1)

I tried to send an email to support but it bounced back-
Anyone have a customer service number or have succcess ordering the exhaust?

thanks
David

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
I tried to order the Volant online Friday and this morning and it wont let me order the exhaust. I get the following--
System Message

We were unable to calculate Shipping Rates for this order. Please contact us for assistance. (P225 W0 Z1)

thanks
David
They're only open Monday-Thursday so your best bet is to call them back this AM (Left Coast time). Sounds like they're sold out though...

·
Registered
993 Posts
System Message

thanks
David
I live in B.C, Canada and tried to order the exhaust. Got the exact same error. I think if you live outside of the U.S it will give you an error. I emailed Danny though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts