Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 seville sts
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to get more info on this casting. cant seem to find anything. anyone here got an idea...

1485158 have been told its a 472 and its in a 68 eldorado

·
Registered
96 seville sts
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so why can i not find that casting number anywhere. i thought it was the 472, but that casting doesnt show up anywhere i can see. thanks

·
Registered
96 seville sts
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought it was the 472, but i cant find that casting number anywhere. any thoughts on that one. thanks.

·
Registered
Eldorado
448 Posts
If the # in back by the oil pressure sw ends in 5200, its a 70-76. 70-76 Eldos were all 500s. All others except 75-76 are 472. Bruce Roe

·
Registered
96 seville sts
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is the easiest way to tell the front marker lights? being in the bumper on the 67 and the fender on the 68??? is there other things too look for?

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,605 Posts
As soon as I seen the oil cap and the cadillac on the rocker arm cover, You know its a 429....

·
Registered
Eldorado
448 Posts
Never mind cosmetics or the possibility of an engine swap. A 472/500 etc has 4 pipes into each exhaust manifold, one per cylinder. A 429 has 3, the center serves 2 cylinders. Bruce Roe

·
Registered
96 seville sts
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so was the 429 a good enigine and how hard is it to find performance parts. thanks. for all your help guys. learning new things.

·
Registered
Eldorado
448 Posts
The 429 was a good 60s engine. But it had problems with the oil pump wearing in the aluminum front cover (no new parts available). I personally prefer a mid 70s engine with HEI, valve rotators, ability to run fine on unleaded gas, and no pump problem, Bruce Roe

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
If that car has been sitting in grass for a considerable time, it will have a lot of rust underneath. If it's a project you want to tackle, get a look at it underneath the body. How many miles on it ?? A powerwasher is the first tool you will need in the engine compartment.
The oil pump that Bruce mentioned is on the right side/bottom of the timing cover, and the impellers (gears) are removable, if you want to inspect the housing they are in, for wear etc. The impellers may be available, don't know, but as Bruce said, the timing cover isn't.
Of course an engine change/update to a later type has been done by folks on this forum.

·
Registered
96 seville sts
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she got sold. i wanted the motor for something else, and i need something with performace parts available. and the underside is pretty much shot. rear frame was gone, fender wells looked like swiss cheese. but the interior was really nice. i was surprised. got my eyes on another big block now. thanks for all the input and help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts